Hotel policies on property theft? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

Hotel policies on property theft?

Anybody work for Mariott or have insight into their property theft policies?

While Eva was hospitalized in Knoxville, I was holed up at the local Fairfield Inn (a division of Mariott). To add insult to injury, my 2nd day there my digital camera went missing

I usually know better than to leave valuables in a hotel room but this didn't get it's usual attention given the circumstances... I've spoken with the property manager but nothing turned up. He also did not see anything unusual in the room entry data from their system.

If I write Mariott, do you feel they will do anything to reciprocate or am I spinning my wheels?

Oh yeah, camera was a Canon SD630. If anybody's got a line on a deal for something similar, LMK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

You could try, and if you stay a pain in their side for a while they may pay you something for the camera and offer you a free night at one of their hotels in the future, just expect a long and tedious process to get a resolution .

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

I have actually had very good experiences with Marriott customer service. I left behind a pair of flip flops once and they FedExed them to me free of charge.

I would think long and hard about where the camera could be, and if you are absolutely certain that it was stolen from your room (especially if you left it out in plain sight) then I would contact the property manager again. I would calmly explain what happened, and I would also mention the length of time that you were staying there. The length of time speaks to (1) the amount of money you've just given them and (2) the amount of time housekeeping had to scope out your stuff.

I would not ask for reimbursement but I would just (again, VERY calmly) say that you are going to be in touch with the corporate customer service because you feel very strongly that their staff were in violation of hotel policies. I would also suggest that the manager speak wtih the person(s) assigned to service your room each day. No matter what the mgr offers to you, you still should write a letter; Marriott has an online customer service form, and they DO get read. I have used it several times in the past.

Before you do call, though, try to find a price for a replacement camera. Try to hunt down a good deal-- like at CostCo or something. Then, you can say "I paid xx for this camera and case and memory card....but I have priced replacement items valued at $xx"-- if you can offer the replacement as cheaper, you will come off as more reasonable.

Finally, and I know this sounds bad, but I would definitely play the Eva card. You've been through a lot. You can always say that there were pictures on the camera that you needed for her insurance and that what they have done has really screwed her. Don't pile it on too thick, but do a bit to appeal to their human side.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

I would raise fucking hell if something came up missing out of my hotel room. I travel with large dollar amounts of electronic equipment all of the time. Did you fill out a police report? Even if you didn't at the time I would still fill one out to document the theft.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Problem is i could say I had a $5,000 laptop stolen outta my room. How does it work with that since there is no proof of the item being there and im sure there are scumbags who try to scam hotels like this alot.

Sucks it happened dood, Ill keep my eye out for any deals

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post

While Eva was hospitalized in Knoxville, I was holed up at the local Fairfield Inn (a division of Mariott). To add insult to injury, my 2nd day there my digital camera went missing

I usually know better than to leave valuables in a hotel room but this didn't get it's usual attention given the circumstances... I've spoken with the property manager but nothing turned up. He also did not see anything unusual in the room entry data from their system.

If I write Mariott, do you feel they will do anything to reciprocate or am I spinning my wheels?

Oh yeah, camera was a Canon SD630. If anybody's got a line on a deal for something similar, LMK.
I do work for Marriott.

I just contacted my Loss Prevention department to ask your questions, and this is what they said.

If something has gone missing, you need to contact their Loss prevention office...being that it was just a Fairfield, you'd need to contact the General Manager (which it sounds like you have) as they probably don't have an LP department. The GM should file a report with the claims department wich will kick in an investigation and alert Marriott corporate.

At a larger hotel like mine, something would be done for sure. But my concern is that the Fairfiled you were in is probably a franchise, and the franchise sorta make up their own rules. Either way, you'd do best to contact corporate if the GM doesn't seem to be helping you. You may want to ask the GM if they are a franchise to get an idea if they are going to have Marriot International backing them up or if they do their own thing.

I'll see if I can get more information for you.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

OK, sending a PM.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:28 PM
TERRAdactyl

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: on the street since 01
How you found us: accidentally stepped in it

Send a message via Yahoo to catwlights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post

I've worked for marriott off and on for 15 years... you lost it, you lost it.

The best you can do is be nice and get a discounted room or some kind of package deal for your next stay.

I've left many things in hotel rooms including TWO cameras, a watch, diamond necklace, and other random stuff.... its gone.

Terra
STT Staff
Midwest Instructor
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Pushing the Limits of Life's Opportunities
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
I always leave a do not distrub sign so they dont come in my room, that way they dont know if I am in there or not so I dont have to worry about them rifling thru my chiet.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode