Car-vs-Motocycle Fatalities - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 03 Honda Cbr600rr
Years Riding: 8 yrs
How you found us: Bathroom stall

Cool Car-vs-Motocycle Fatalities

I'm here at work and everyone is getting on my case about my bike, That i have a greater chance of dying rather than being inside a car. So my Qs is, Where can I get Actuall D.O.T information about people that die in a car vs people who die on bikes. I know we ride here like 5 good months a year but how about Cali, Fl? Fatalities on bikes has sky rocket, we all know that but compared to million of car drivers out there I would think more people die in a car. Your thoughts on this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
this question comes up every start of the riding season....might want to do a search...

as far as my input on this...i try not to ride during rush hour time cause people are usually in a bad mood and dont care...all you can do is keep your eyes peeled and always check your mirrors and where u are riding at compared to cars...but the unexpected will always happen...and the younger riders can sometimes be out stunting or going well too fast for traffic/conditions...

and sometimes its just being in the wrong place at the wrong time...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito600rr View Post
I'm here at work and everyone is getting on my case about my bike, That i have a greater chance of dying rather than being inside a car. So my Qs is, Where can I get Actuall D.O.T information about people that die in a car vs people who die on bikes. I know we ride here like 5 good months a year but how about Cali, Fl? Fatalities on bikes has sky rocket, we all know that but compared to million of car drivers out there I would think more people die in a car. Your thoughts on this??
Just tell them that motorcycles don't get motorcyclists killed....careless automobile drivers do.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Liz

Sportbike: 07 R6, 07 TTR-125LE, Chevy Colorado
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: Asschaps

the way i look at it is i could die getting struck by lightning or run over in a parking lot...im not gonna sit in my house in a bubble....whenever i ride the only things i can do are wear my gear, be observant and ride as defensively as possible....everything is a risk equation...take out as much possibility of getting hurt as you can!!!! And the benefits i get from riding far out weigh the risks!!!!!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:26 AM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Just tell them you're a badass and you're gonna ride or die and also that you have a lot of tats to prove this as well.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Some people are just killjoys, they are so obsessed with telling you what's wrong with the way you live life that they don't have time to live their own.
I have various replies for people like that, but in your case, this is what I would say..."Motorcycling carries with it some calculated risk, I deal with it by wearing safety gear, seeing to it my bike is in top shape and that I'm fit to ride, and paying close attention to what I'm doing and to traffic. Beyond that, it's out of my hands and I accept that. If I check out while riding...remember that I left this world doing something I love!"

Forget statistics and trying to convince them, you never will. Saying something like this will tell them to butt out and not sound rude to them, if they persist beyond this...tell them to butt out!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Ride safe and be prepared. That's about all you can do. Don't worry about the others, just enjoy the ride!

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Sunny and 70

Sportbike: 2008 Tuono 1000 R
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: GSXR.com

I dont disagree with their POV. You have the same risks any time you are on the road. You can be involved in a collision at any time. On a bike you are harder to see, have less protection and no supplemental restraints systems. You also dont have any traction control or ABS systems making emergency manuevers dependent on rider skill.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Tell them if they've never ridden to shut up. I've done that before. They look at me funny and then carry on with there lives.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

I will agree that motorcycles are more dangerous than cars, and you are more likely to seriously hurt or kill yourself in an accident on a bike than in a car. Gear minimizes the risk, but nonetheless, every moto accident ends with you sliding and hitting the ground, which is never good, and this won't ever happen to you in a car. I have seen plenty of friends crash and have something broken on them, and even my next door neighbor died on a bike 4 blocks away from my house. I don't personally know of anyone that has driven a car and died or even broke anything in an accident. Next, it depends on the person. If you are a person who has been involved in plenty of automobile accidents in your life time, a motorcycle is not for you. The chances are the way you drive your car will be the way you ride your bike. The difference is, in your car, you only have to pay to get your car fixed, on your bike you have to pay to get yourself and the bike fixed .

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhauditech View Post
I dont disagree with their POV. You have the same risks any time you are on the road. You can be involved in a collision at any time. On a bike you are harder to see, have less protection and no supplemental restraints systems. You also dont have any traction control or ABS systems making emergency manuevers dependent on rider skill.
True, we do have a greater risk but im just curious to know the #'s from ppl on bikes vs ppl in cars. There's car accidents everyday and ppl die but if 1 motorcylist dies i wont hear the end of it. I think more people die in a car than in a bike But the deaths on bike has gone up 80% since the last 10yrs. Anyone know a link where i get get this info?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
Some people are just killjoys, they are so obsessed with telling you what's wrong with the way you live life that they don't have time to live their own.
I have various replies for people like that, but in your case, this is what I would say..."Motorcycling carries with it some calculated risk, I deal with it by wearing safety gear, seeing to it my bike is in top shape and that I'm fit to ride, and paying close attention to what I'm doing and to traffic. Beyond that, it's out of my hands and I accept that. If I check out while riding...remember that I left this world doing something I love!"

Forget statistics and trying to convince them, you never will. Saying something like this will tell them to butt out and not sound rude to them, if they persist beyond this...tell them to butt out!
rep given

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
True, we do have a greater risk but im just curious to know the #'s from ppl on bikes vs ppl in cars. There's car accidents everyday and ppl die but if 1 motorcylist dies i wont hear the end of it. I think more people die in a car than in a bike But the deaths on bike has gone up 80% since the last 10yrs. Anyone know a link where i get get this info?

I think you are kind of mixing it up like a Mac/PC security debate. Macs are safer than PCs because hackers know that 80%+ people are using PCs, so they rather make viruses and software to attack the platform with the most users. There are a crap load of accidents all the time, there are millions of cars on the road at any given moment, and a lot less bikes than cars. If you hit another car with your bike, there is a great chance even with gear, you will be seriously hurt, and carted off in an ambulance. You hit a car with another car, and there is a better chance you will walk away and explain to the police what happened. You have side and front air bags, a metal frame around your body, seat belt, etc to soften the blow, on the bike you a half of inch of leather, maybe a little Kevlar, and a hard plastic helmet, winner = automobile safety features.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 PM

Sportbike: 1996 Honda CBR 600F3
Years Riding: years
How you found us: friend

I have the 2006 (most current compiled) Illinois crash stats as well as the results of a Cali study that just concluded that relates specifically to motorcycle crashes. I think I can email you the Cali study if you want it.

Is it ignorance, or apathy?

I don't know, and I don't care.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000/GSXR1000
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Buddy

Send a message via MSN to BFLY
I have to say it's not the dieing part to worry about, it's living after the crash. As long as that's a reality for you. I SAY FUCK THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!

過労死
--------------------------------------------
Brian
Nesba #98
CBR1000
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Just tell them that motorcycles don't get motorcyclists killed....careless automobile drivers do.

Thats what I tell them.

Hell pissed one lady off at the gas station when she said "bikes are dangerous" to me when filling the bike up. Dont know her. Didnt start any conversation with her. She just felt like putting her 2 cents in. Just told her "No its fucking old ladies like you that cant drive worth shit that kills bikers". She shut up and left.

Also telling people that go into that "bikes are dangerous" crap to just shut the fuck up and dont be nice about it. Had a saleman at orkin who kept telling me he knows such and uch that got killed on a bike. After 2 yrs of hearing the same crap from him I blew up on him in the office. Needless to say I was out of a job a week later. Asshat was buddy buddy with the store manager.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
They see me rollin...

Sportbike: 2006 R6
Years Riding: still nooob
How you found us: instinct

Tell them mind their own shit its your life..not theirs...

for me i tell them its one of my therapy is riding bike...
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
So long San Diego :(

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Since 07/01/06
How you found us: Your Mom told me

For comparison purposes, you wouldn't want to look at raw numbers, but rather percentages of drivers for each vehicle killed. Check the below link for odds of dying in pretty much anything...

http://www.nsc.org/research/odds.aspx

The odds of dying as a car occupant...1 in 19,216
The odds of dying in a motorcycle accident...1 in 73,085

Therefore, 3.8x as likely to die in a car wreck

Brandon
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

Kids in back seats cause accidents, Accidents in Back seats cause kids.

Last edited by Pinto Bean; 04-29-2008 at 01:59 PM.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 01:57 PM
GO RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sportbike: 04 ZX-10R 08 KLR650 76 RD400
Years Riding: 21
How you found us: friend

I don't know the ratio of cars to bikes, but the last traffic school I went to stated 45K people die in car crashes a year. thats a lot of people!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode