Naperville and motorcycles - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Naperville and motorcycles

Quote:
Naperville Promotes "Sharing the Road" with Motorcycles by Joining Efforts with
State and Federal Partners
May Proclaimed Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month.
[Naperville, IL]
– One out of every nine U.S. road fatalities accounted for last year involved motorcycle riders. This steady increase in fatalities over the past decade represents one of our Nation’s greatest highway safety challenges.
Motorcycle fatalities now account for 11 percent of total road fatalities and have increased each year from a low of 2,116 in 1997 to 4,810 in 2006. So while there has been success in reducing automobile deaths in recent years, this progress is being negated by the rise in motorcycle fatalities, which has more than doubled.
That’s why
Naperville Police announced today that they are joining with other federal, State and local highway safety, law enforcement, and motorcycle organizations in proclaiming May 2008 as "Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month." All motorists are reminded to safely "Share the Road" with motorcycles and to be extra alert when driving to help keep motorcyclists safe.
"With warmer weather here, more motorcycles are back on the roads. Drivers of all vehicles need to be extra alert," said
Sergeant Lee Martin. "Motorcycles are some of the smallest vehicles on the road so folks in other vehicles need to really look out for them—and to take extra care to safely ‘Share the Road’."
Because of their smaller size, motorcyclists are often hidden in a vehicle’s blind spot. "It’s crucial that motorists always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections."
Motorcyclists are much more vulnerable than passenger vehicle drivers in the event of a crash. Research shows that approximately 80 percent of motorcycle crashes injure or kill a motorcycle rider, while only 20 percent of passenger car crashes injure or kill a driver or passenger in their vehicle.
Sergeant Lee Martin
offered several tips for drivers to help keep motorcyclists safe on our roadways:
􀂾
Remember the motorcycle is a vehicle with all of the rights and privileges of any other motor vehicle on the roadway. Always allow a motorcyclist the full lane width—never try to share a lane;
􀂾
Always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections;
􀂾
Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic;
􀂾
Don’t be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not self-canceling and riders sometimes forget to turn them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is going to turn before you proceed;
􀂾
Remember that road conditions which are minor annoyances to other vehicles pose major hazards to motorcyclists;
􀂾
Allow more following distance, three or four seconds, when following a motorcycle, so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency. And don’t tailgate. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars.
Sergeant Lee Martin
said motorcyclists have responsibilities, too, by following the rules of the road and being alert to other drivers. Motorcyclists are always encouraged to wear DOT-compliant helmets and protective gear.
Our message to all drivers is: make this the first year in recent years when motorcycle fatalities do not increase. Help to share in the responsibility and do your part by safely ‘Sharing the Road’ with motorcycles."

cool to read.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Hopefully it will have an impact.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:10 AM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

My honest opinion? I doubt it will help. Cagers don't see bikes for the winter up here so when the weather gets warm... well you know. C'mon guys, people see rain like every other day and they STILL forget how to drive and you think they'll see a BIKE??? You are invisible like a ninja daniel-san.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:38 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
When driving through Kentucky over the weekend the overhead highway signs were promoting awareness of motorcycles.

I hope it helps but I doubt it. There are just too many dumbass cagers on the roads.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Lick Me

Sportbike: '01 sv650s, CRF 70
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: from moparboyy

Send a message via AIM to HeavyHand
it should read "naperville promotes bike safty by pulling over lots of motorcycles and hoping they will stay home".

-Nick
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
There are just too many dumbass cagers on the roads.
And some of them post here.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode