Sake, school me.... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
The first Tico here!

Sportbike: 2000 Suzuki SV650
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: Word of Mouf!

Send a message via AIM to javio1
Sake, school me....

Alright you alcoholics, the topic is Sake. I don't know shit about it but would like to take some to my brother in law for his birthday. School me on this stuff! What is good, what is not? Mind you, I don't shit out dollar bills so keep that in mind when recommending one.

People take these things too seriously!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
It's a rice "wine"

It comes cold or hot, get the hot.

Go slow, it takes a minute to kick in. This stuff makes me tired as hell, I know a couple people it makes tired as well.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:37 PM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Warm Sake ftl. Goes down like chit (that's if you're one shotting, that is). Don't know any brands since i only consume that stuff in restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Go to an Asian food market vs. a liquor store. You can pick up a liter of better than average stuff for under $25. Drinkable stuff for under $20. If you are into presentation, buy a little ceramic pitcher and glasses. Fill the pitcher, nuke it for a minute. Don't let it boil. Enjoy. If you don’t care about the presentation, just pour some in a glass and nuke it. Personally, I don’t care too much for chilled sake. Oh, too much sake = big hangover.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
The first Tico here!

How's about if it's just room temperature or does it have to be warmer than that? Any asian markets in the Wrilgley area that you know of? I can travel a little if need be.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Hit new Chinatown on Argyle and Broadway. Viet Hoa is the biggest grocery store there and they have a parking lot.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
B.O.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by javio1 View Post
How's about if it's just room temperature or does it have to be warmer than that? Any asian markets in the Wrilgley area that you know of? I can travel a little if need be.
There's a market right off of Kimball, i think. They should have that. If not there are a few Asian stores down Lawrence. There's one on the corner of Lawrence and Pulaski to be exact. You can even steal it since they don't have cameras. Ask me how i know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G

Quote:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 PM
CRF50 Squid

The one on Lawrence and Pulaski closed down. They are now building a 53rd bank in it's location.

[edit] You can also hit the myriad of Korean stores 1/2 a block south of Kedzie and Lawrence.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
B.O.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah Blah Blah View Post
Hit new Chinatown on Argyle and Broadway. Viet Hoa is the biggest grocery store there and they have a parking lot.
Yeah, and if you have a huge load, there's this skinny guy, looks like he could be Blah Blah Blah's relative , who assists you with your groceries in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G

Quote:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
The first Tico here!

I guess I'll have to take Kedzie on the way home. What about that Super H mart on Oakton? That's like oriental heaven isn't it?

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
CRF50 Squid

Super H Mart has it fo sho. It's not oriental heaven though. It's more like Korean heaven.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 PM

Sake is generally served warm because it hides the defects. Good/Expensive sake is meant to be taken at room temperature. Usually Asian restaurants will serve sake warm/hot if it's cheap stuff. My experience has been its better to drop a shot of any kind of sake into a Saporo and chug...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Sunny and 70

Sportbike: 2008 Tuono 1000 R
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: GSXR.com

Types of Sake
There are several different types of sake, and the following special denominations are specified by the Japanese government.

Ginjoshu
Sake made using white rice which has been milled so that 60% or less of the grain remains. It also contains rice koji and water, and may contain all of these ingredients plus brewing alcohol. It is characterized by a fruity, somewhat floral bouquet and a clear, crisp flavor. If the rice is polished down to 50% or less, the sake is called Dai-ginjoshu

Junmaishu
Sake made only from white rice, rice koji, and water. It tends to have a mellow bouquet and a rich, smooth flavor.

Honjozoshu
Sake made using white rice which has been milled so that 70% or less of the grain remains, along with rice koji, brewing alcohol, and water. It is known for its mild, unobtrusive bouquet, and a crisp flavor.

All other types of sake fall under the category of Futsushu, which is consumed widely throughout Japan. This category offers various tastes, with each brand of sake featuring a unique flavor that is characteristic of the brewery.

Sake varieties are also distinguished by brewing method.

Namazake
Sake that is not heated for pasteurization after the final mash is pressed. It is characterized by a light, fresh flavor.

Genshu
Sake with a higher alcohol content because it has been pressed but not diluted with added water. It has a deep, rich flavor and an alcohol content of from 17% to 20%.

Koshu (Aged sake)
Sake that has been aged for a couple of years, or for upwards of five years or longer. It has a bouquet like sherry, with a flavor profile that includes spices and nuts.

Taruzake (Cask sake)
Sake that is aged in casks and thus takes on the fragrance of the wood from which the cask is made.

Nigorizake
Sake that is milky white, since the mash is only lightly filtered using a coarse-textured cloth.

Sparkling sake
Carbonated sake, with a mouth feel reminiscent of champagne
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaarider View Post
Sake is generally served warm because it hides the defects. Good/Expensive sake is meant to be taken at room temperature. Usually Asian restaurants will serve sake warm/hot if it's cheap stuff. My experience has been its better to drop a shot of any kind of sake into a Saporo and chug...
+1
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaarider View Post
Sake Bombs FTW!

Take a glass of Sapporo and balance a shot of sake on two chopsticks above the glass. Chant Sake as you pound on the table until the shot falls into the glass and chug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Sake bombs are the schiznit. If you're going straight sake, I prefer cold. As mentioned, it's usually better. I just like it cuz the hot sake is pretty harsh for me. If you're new, try a few of em at your local sushi joint before buying.

If you're going for the wow factor, unfiltered looks pretty interesting. I haven't had the balls to buy it since it looks like a c-shot in a bottle. I am told it's pretty good though :P

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
The first Tico here!

Damn, I guess I'll have to trust the judgement of the guy that looks like Miyagi behind the counter. If they aren't too expensive I'll buy a couple of different kinds.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:23 AM

Sportbike: Not a sport bike, but a 1975 Honda CB125.
Years Riding: a few months, I just started riding :D
How you found us: google

I love sake, as being Japanese and growing up with a father that grew up in Japan, grew up drinking sake, and gave me some as I grew up. (which I still consume to this day from time to time) I have to say that sake is a drink that every person has different taste for. Only the drinker knows which and what kind of sake he/she prefers. If you don't know what kind of sake he wants, I suggest getting him anything made by "Sho Chiku Bai" as they aren't very costly (depending on size and style) and they have very easy to understand English descriptions of what kind of flavor, feeling, and aroma on the bottle. It might be a little far out, but there is a place out in Arlington Heights called Mitsuwa that has an awesome sake collection. You could also talk to the sales clerk there for suggestions as well.

I personally like unfiltered more rough tasting sake, served room temperature or chilled. I also like the same sake served warmed by hot tap water. (grabbing the bottle and running it through hot water for a couple of minutes) When warm it makes the sake more "smooth" to drink. Sake might be served in shot glasses, but it isn't a drink that should be taken as "shots", at least thats what my dad told me. Although I do take it as shots from time to time, for the most part its best enjoyed sipping slowly. Its up to the drinker to decide how he/she wants to enjoy the drink.

Last edited by hiideruhiro; 05-03-2008 at 06:26 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:46 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Sake, I once knew a thai bar girl named sake. And believe me, she went down way easier than the real stuff.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode