Connecting data phone without data plan - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Connecting data phone without data plan

Checked out the HTC phone with US Cellular over the weekend. Since it's expiring I like to replace my phone whenever that happens since the usual flow of Motorola phones I've had all turn into suck butt around a year after getting them, and the KRAZR is no exception. So if I got the HTC phone which has data capabilities, I'd have to get the data plan. While nice, it's just not something I need or care much about. So I asked if I brought in my own phone, could they just hook it up? They said that if I bought it through them or whoever else that all data phones must have data plans. So any insiders at US Cell that can get around that? If I slip the dude a $20, can he just hook it up with no data plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Then why get a data phone?????

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:33 AM

That's not entirely true. On Verizon I had the LG XV6700 (I think...whatever the HTC pocket pc phone is). I bought it off craigslist because my Razr shit the bed. When I called them to switch service to the new phone, they asked if I wanted data. I said no and didn't get it for another two months.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
Cuz it's purdy. I like the touch screen for everything and a slide out keyboard for messaging. I don't message often (couple times a day), so going for a Blackberry would just be a whole lotta keys to mess with.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
Cuz it's purdy. I like the touch screen for everything and a slide out keyboard for messaging. I don't message often (couple times a day), so going for a Blackberry would just be a whole lotta keys to mess with.
Glad I'm not the only one that likes purdy phones. I think I might be the only person with a Blackberry that doesn't have a data plan. Granted, it is the Pearl, but I just like the look and feel of the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:14 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
I am not sure how Noodles did it but a lot of PDA phones will not allow no data plan. Blackberry on Verizon you have to have data for it to work, I thought that was all Blackberry but Noodles seems to have proved me wrong, unless it is a CDMA/GSM difference.

Ian
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Teach me to Ride Please

Sportbike: 2012 HD street glide, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2006 CBR F4I, 2003 Honda XR50
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: The voices in my head

Send a message via AIM to Guess Who? Send a message via MSN to Guess Who?
You do not have to get a data plan. I had the motorolla q and had the data plan. I got a new phone about 3 weeks ago and still have the q but got rid of the data plan since its an extra only.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who? View Post
You do not have to get a data plan. I had the motorolla q and had the data plan. I got a new phone about 3 weeks ago and still have the q but got rid of the data plan since its an extra only.
With which service provider?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Teach me to Ride Please

Sportbike: 2012 HD street glide, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2006 CBR F4I, 2003 Honda XR50
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: The voices in my head

Send a message via AIM to Guess Who? Send a message via MSN to Guess Who?
US Cellular
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
I am not sure how Noodles did it but a lot of PDA phones will not allow no data plan. Blackberry on Verizon you have to have data for it to work, I thought that was all Blackberry but Noodles seems to have proved me wrong, unless it is a CDMA/GSM difference.
I have T-Mobile. The wife and I both got Pearls, and when we signed up, hers had a data plan and mine didn't. After a few months, she got a work BB, so we took the data plan off of her phone as well. Never caused any issues on my end.

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
It has to be CDMA Blackberry then that requires data plan to work even as a phone.

Ian
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
It has to be CDMA Blackberry then that requires data plan to work even as a phone.
Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. Sprint will allow you to buy any phone and not get a data plan. You will be charged 3 cents per KB though if you do use it. Most people opt for a data plan though as it 3 cents adds up quickly when data is at play.

[edit] Getting a smartphone without a data plan is stupid. I don't care how pretty you think the phone is. Might as well go buy a Ducati. You will get more poser points from it.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:01 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: I ride a tricycle
How you found us: Google!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah Blah Blah View Post
Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. Sprint will allow you to buy any phone and not get a data plan. You will be charged 3 cents per KB though if you do use it. Most people opt for a data plan though as it 3 cents adds up quickly when data is at play.

[edit] Getting a smartphone without a data plan is stupid. I don't care how pretty you think the phone is. Might as well go buy a Ducati. You will get more poser points from it.
+1

Personally I could never go back to having a normal cell and most places have great deals on unlimited data plans. Why not just get it, pay the extra 15-20$ a month and play around with it. HTC does make some great stuff although I think they are a touch big.

-Zach
http://www.myspace.com/zachreborn

PSN: reborn29
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:

Why is it stupid?

Why pay $20/month for something I'd never use? I use most of the other features on the phone but have internet access pretty much 24/7 anyway.

Quote:
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Sportbike: 2008 CBR 1000RR and 2010 Victory Jackpot premium
Years Riding: One could say, I've been around the block a few times....
How you found us: Through the "GrapeVine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
Checked out the HTC phone with US Cellular over the weekend. Since it's expiring I like to replace my phone whenever that happens since the usual flow of Motorola phones I've had all turn into suck butt around a year after getting them, and the KRAZR is no exception. So if I got the HTC phone which has data capabilities, I'd have to get the data plan. While nice, it's just not something I need or care much about. So I asked if I brought in my own phone, could they just hook it up? They said that if I bought it through them or whoever else that all data phones must have data plans. So any insiders at US Cell that can get around that? If I slip the dude a $20, can he just hook it up with no data plan?
Hey what up.... As I work for them it is true that you have to have that data package... but a better question you should probably ask is why spend a TON of money on an HTC "Data Capable" phone Based on Window's Version 6 unless your going to be utilizing web and wifi access. Thats really the only reason that phone would be worth entertaining?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:14 PM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Why is it stupid?

Why pay $20/month for something I'd never use? I use most of the other features on the phone but have internet access pretty much 24/7 anyway.
Because you are carrying a brick around for no other reason then for show, not to mention paying all that extra money for the bling bling phone. If you only need to make calls, get a normal phone. Smartphones aren't meant to be poser phones. Furthermore, the smartphones are prone to lots of failures as the more bells and whistles the more things to break. We send back between 50 and 100 smartphones a month.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM
CRF50 Squid

Here's a quote for someone's sigline, hopefully.

Buying a smartphone without a dataplan is like carrying a fat chick on your back and never asking her to suck your cock.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Quote:
Because you are carrying a brick not to mention paying all that extra money for the bling bling phone just for show. If you only need to make calls, get a normal phone. Smartphones aren't meant to be poser phones.

I would have to agree that phone is quite a bit on the large side and a GREAT phone for the right person. Most of my clients I work with that purchase that phone are extremely mobile and need it for tracking and organizing events and most importantly accessing the web. That phone is a straight up computer in your hand. And I can def. tell you that being a CDMA network and working at U.S. Cellular that the phone has to have a data code applied to the acct. Peep the Rockr that phone is tight. I like it, it looks good, and I can get GPS/Navigation and email and web access.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Sportbike: 2010 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 4

Send a message via Skype™ to drozek
Sprint def lets you have a smart phone without a data package. A couple buddies have blackberries as a phone and pda. They are great phones with awesome battery life. If anyone needs a new service checkout www.sprint.com/sero email: [email protected], only works in internet explorer, but don't order with that email. If you want to order the SERO plan pm me and I will set you up with SERO plus $75 back.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozek View Post
Sprint def lets you have a smart phone without a data package. A couple buddies have blackberries as a phone and pda. They are great phones with awesome battery life. If anyone needs a new service checkout www.sprint.com/sero email: [email protected], only works in internet explorer, but don't order with that email. If you want to order the SERO plan pm me and I will set you up with SERO plus $75 back.
Thats sounds good and all BUT SPRINT IS TERRIBLE! HA.... They just got bought out by the same people that own T-Mobile (NOT A GOOD THING) ANNNND the government wants the bandwidth of service pulled that supports the two-way function, CEO got fired and replaced, they FIRED like 7k employee's last quarter alone, acquired almost a MILLION in NET LOSS OF CUSTOMERS last year ANNNNND the overall Service is HORRIFIC! LOL...... But other than that, there a GREAT Company....

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin....
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:05 PM

Sportbike: 2010 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 4

Send a message via Skype™ to drozek
There are talks about getting bought out. Sprint is alright in my area, I have no problems at all.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCold81 View Post
Thats sounds good and all BUT SPRINT IS TERRIBLE! HA.... They just got bought out by the same people that own T-Mobile (NOT A GOOD THING) ANNNND the government wants the bandwidth of service pulled that supports the two-way function, CEO got fired and replaced, they FIRED like 7k employee's last quarter alone, acquired almost a MILLION in NET LOSS OF CUSTOMERS last year ANNNNND the overall Service is HORRIFIC! LOL...... But other than that, there a GREAT Company....

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin....

I agree that sprint it terrible. As a matter of fact, that's an understatement. Haven't heard about anything about them getting bought out... and hope T-mobile folks wouldn't be stupid enough to waste their money on that junk. What's wrong with T-mobile though? That's the only cell company I haven't had a beef with yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode