HVAC experts - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Yamaha FZ1
Years Riding: Can't remember
How you found us: member

HVAC experts

One of the three rooftop HVAC units on our one story industrial building had reached the end of its useful life. It's 23-25 years old, so I guess we got our money's worth on the old Snyder General battleaxe.

Our HVAC contractor has quoted three possibilities as replacements for this 3 ton unit. Now the units are all high efficiency. The regulatory threshold we apparently are approaching is one regulating the type of refrigerant that can be used in these units. The choices are R22, which is being phased out over the next years, and the new 410a high pressure refrigerant. Now I can purchase units with either refrigerant, and R22 should be available for servicing existing units for many years.

My questions are:

What should I be considering as I weigh my choice between units designed for use with each of these refrigerants (besides cost--the R22 units are a bit cheaper now)?

The brands quoted to me are Carrier and Trane. We have other Carrier and Trane HVAC units on our roof now. The distributors for parts for both of these manufacturers are located relatively close geographically. The distributors for parts for some of the other brands are located a goodly drive across the metro area from where we are located. Therefore, future service costs would be affected by travel time on other brands. So, what are the issues regarding Carrier vs. Trane in a commercial grade unit?

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable help and advice.

Keytickler

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Lick Me

Sportbike: '01 sv650s, CRF 70
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: from moparboyy

Send a message via AIM to HeavyHand
R-22 will be phased out first. 2020 i believe. that date is always changing. you will be able to get R-22 for many years to come. like anything you will have to pay a bit extra for it. being that it is only 3 tons there is not a lot of R-22 in the machine to begin with so refrigerant replacement should not be that large of a concern.
make sure that your new unit, carrier or trane has a good factory warrany on the compressor. that would go out first.

what is this unit serving? is it running 24/7? i would get the most efficient unit that you can. when you say roof top unit do you mean an air handler or just the condensing unit like you see at your house outside.

-Nick

Last edited by HeavyHand; 05-07-2008 at 04:54 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Get the R-22, they will have replacements for r-22 in the future.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Yamaha FZ1
Years Riding: Can't remember
How you found us: member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHand View Post
R-22 will be phased out first. 2020 i believe. that date is always changing. you will be able to get R-22 for many years to come. like anything you will have to pay a bit extra for it. being that it is only 3 tons there is not a lot of R-22 in the machine to begin with so refrigerant replacement should not be that large of a concern.
make sure that your new unit, carrier or trane has a good factory warrany on the compressor. that would go out first.

what is this unit serving? is it running 24/7? i would get the most efficient unit that you can. when you say roof top unit do you mean an air handler or just the condensing unit like you see at your house outside.
It's a complete HVAC unit--providing heat and A/C to the front office area of our building. It's not running 24/7--we're a one shift M-F operation. There's a clock thermostat on this unit adjusting the office temp for different hours and days.

Keytickler

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode