UK/US licence's - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

UK/US licence's

a m8 of mine was busting my chops the other day, about the US bike licence, im curious about the licence system in the states and any restrictions on bike size etc.

in the UK you have to sit a theory test before your allowed to sit any bike/car test.

option 1
CBT (compulsary basic training) 9am - 4pm if the instructor feels your not competent enough you have to go back for more training, untill such times he feels your "safe" enough to be let loose on the open roads. you are restricted to a 125cc bike, the CBT only lasts 2 years, at which time if you have not sat one of the other tests, you loose the CBT with one year restriction before you can sit the CBT again.

option 2
standard motorcycle licence,sit the test on a 125cc,restricted to the 125cc for 2 years, once the 2 years is up you can step up to any bike/size. if your under 21yo and you reach 21 before the 2 year restriction is up you need to sit another test(direct access) if you want to ride a bigger bike without waiting for restriction to end

option 3
direct access, sit the test on a 500cc, no restrictions and your good to go on any bike you please.

the above is a shortened version of the restrictions etc,power/weight ratio
and the examiners who take you for the standard and direct access tests are real ball busters.
instructors reccomend a minimum of 10 hrs training,plus 1hr training before your test.
say you fail the test and think you should have passed,make a complaint, you get to resit the test with two examiners and an extended test,normally test takes about 40-50 minutes,extended takes 90 minutes (ouch).

so after that essay whats it like in the states ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 AM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

I wish it was that structured over here.....maybe we wouldn't have so many inexperienced riders on 100+Hp bikes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante View Post
Land of the free.

Depends on the state, but most states require you to pass a written test to acquire a "permit". With a permit, you can only ride in the daylight hours nearby another rider with their full Motorcycle rating. Size does not matter. Once you get the full M rating, you can ride any time of the day anywhere. Once again, size doesn't matter. 125cc or 1400cc.

Bigger is better.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 AM

Sportbike: '05 R1. '00 yz250. '03ttr125 Lil pimp.
Years Riding: not long enough.
How you found us: friend

Send a message via MSN to r1srb
Here you just go to your local Wall-Mart and get one for 99 cents + tax.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwingop View Post
I wish it was that structured over here.....maybe we wouldn't have so many inexperienced riders on 100+Hp bikes.
i really hate to say it, but i have to agree with you on this point...i hate the even SLIGHTEST restrictions on anything...but with all the accidents and deaths that have been going around lately, a few simple restrictions would be a good idea...but this is america and the laws are not set up like that...but i expect some of it to change sometime soon with a perfect example with the new driving laws that hve just passed for these kids and them getting thier liscenses rules now....

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 AM

Italy is pretty much the same thing:
- u gotta go through a test and examination before getting a permit. once you have it, you're not allowed to go around by yourself. You have to take "classes" with instructors.
- once u pass the tests and practice, u get a licence but ure limited... u can go out and buy a 1000RR... i really dont remember what the cc limit is, since i had a 125cc (super power LOL)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante View Post
MOTORCYCLE LICENSE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operation of a motorcycle or motor driven cycle in the State of Illinois requires a valid license with the proper classification.

Class L is any motor driven cycle with less than 150 cc displacement
Class M is any motorcycle with 150 cc or greater displacement

Testing

Applicants will want to review the Motorcycle Operator Manual and the Rules of the Road.

Applicants under 18 years of age who present an IDOT Motorcycle Rider Course Student Completion Card will also be required to take the drive examination. Don't forget to bring the proper identification documents and appropriate amount of payment.

Applicants 18 years or older who present an IDOT Motorcycle Rider Course Student Completion Card will not be required to take the drive examination. Don't forget to bring the proper identification documents and appropriate amount of payment.

First time motorcycle applicants who do not hold a valid Illinois driver's license will be required to successfully complete a vision screening, written (basic and motorcycle) exam and a drive examination. Don't forget to bring the proper identification documents and appropriate amount of payment.

Find your nearest Driver Services facility.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Let me tell you how it works in Germany.

It takes around 3 months to do the license.
You have to go thru a driving school.

There is a certain number of obligatory hours both for theory and riding that you have to take. I belive it is around 16 hours each, although it is recommended to take 20 hours of practical riding.

You do the theory in classroom, over weeks!!
You can start riding almost immediately with your instructor.

Once he teaches you, or figures out that you can shift and brake, he drives behind you in the car, and communicates with you over the radio.

You do drills training, streets, highway and night rides.
After you are done with your training, you can go and take the test.

If you are under 25 years of age, you will get your license that is limited to 25KW or 36 HP for two years. After 2 years, you can ride "open."
36 HP means you can still ride a decent size bike, but it has to be "curbed" to 36 HP.
If you are 25 or older, you can "aim" for the "open class" M, but you have to do your license test on a 750 with more than 44 KW (60 HP).

The test:

The instructor and the testing guy sit in the car and drive behind you. The testing guy tells your instructor where you should go, and he tells you over the radio, like "the next possible left" which makes you pay attention to the one way streets etc.

Once you do the drills (all kinds of them, a lot more comprehensive than here), you go back on the street and highway for 60 minutes. yes, the riding test is 60 minutes, and the tester can send you wherever he wants.
You can be sure to be tested on a starting from a stop sign on the steep hill and turning sharp left (that one's a bitch).
I ended my test on a gravel parking!!!!! (testers car was parked there, so we kinda gave him a ride. i though i was gonna die in the deep gravel).

Oh, before I forget, this costs you about 1,300 Euro.

Except for the high price, I think this should be implemented everywhere. I hate it that the US does not even require you to take any classes. yeah, it's practical here, but bad for both cars and bikes.

Last edited by Supergirl; 05-12-2008 at 09:10 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Australia has a rather comprehensive street based test. You first do a written test to get your permit, then you can take the street test. The whole test takes between an hour and two hours depending on how much of an ass the tester wants to be. The test comprises of highway time, street time (he rides behind you and signals which way to turn), and low speed maneuvers, including doing figure eights less than the width of the street and heavy emergency braking.

If you pass the test you do a computer based awareness test, and you get your license. This license is limited to 250cc for a year, after which you need to do almost the exact same test again on a bike over 250cc. At that point you are considered open class.

There is no way in hell you are going to pass the Australian system with only a few hours of training. The fail rate is also pretty damn high.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Sportbike: Bbird
Years Riding: too many to count
How you found us: Sk8boardil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
Let me tell you how it works in Germany.

It takes around 3 months to do the license.
You have to go thru a driving school.

There is a certain number of obligatory hours both for theory and riding that you have to take. I belive it is around 16 hours each, although it is recommended to take 20 hours of practical riding.

You do the theory in classroom, over weeks!!
You can start riding almost immediately with your instructor.

Once he teaches you, or figures out that you can shift and brake, he drives behind you in the car, and communicates with you over the radio.

You do drills training, streets, highway and night rides.
After you are done with your training, you can go and take the test.

If you are under 25 years of age, you will get your license that is limited to 25KW or 36 HP for two years. After 2 years, you can ride "open."
36 HP means you can still ride a decent size bike, but it has to be "curbed" to 36 HP.
If you are 25 or older, you can "aim" for the "open class" M, but you have to do your license test on a 750 with more than 44 KW (60 HP).

The test:

The instructor and the testing guy sit in the car and drive behind you. The testing guy tells your instructor where you should go, and he tells you over the radio, like "the next possible left" which makes you pay attention to the one way streets etc.

Once you do the drills (all kinds of them, a lot more comprehensive than here), you go back on the street and highway for 60 minutes. yes, the riding test is 60 minutes, and the tester can send you wherever he wants.
You can be sure to be tested on a starting from a stop sign on the steep hill and turning sharp left (that one's a bitch).
I ended my test on a gravel parking!!!!! (testers car was parked there, so we kinda gave him a ride. i though i was gonna die in the deep gravel).

Oh, before I forget, this costs you about 1,300 Euro.

Except for the high price, I think this should be implemented everywhere. I hate it that the US does not even require you to take any classes. yeah, it's practical here, but bad for both cars and bikes.

this is pretty much the same procedure as it is in Austria, only that you get tested on your technical knowledge as well, meaning, how to check your oil, brake and clutch fluids, how to check the chain, stuff like that.

"Nothing happens until something moves " - A. Einstein
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

i thought we had it hard in the UK, seems like the aus and german ones are real busters lol.

but hey if it helps to stop the squids from killing themselves it's all good.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

It certainly does AND helmet is law!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode