Food Poisoning at my Party! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Honda CBR 600RR
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Member: Labdog

Food Poisoning at my Party!

I'm so embarrased for my guests who came over to my house for a 1st birthday for my son!

I had a party at the house on Sat and catered some food. Sunday afternoon I start getting calls from all my guests...they all are throwing up and have diarreaha! WTF.

Then my wife tells me she feels nausea and both my kids are thowing up. I'd say about 60% of the people who came got sick. I've spent the past couple days caring for my family and talking to all my guests and apologizing for what happened.

So I called the catering company and asked if they had any complaints. I told them about he situation and they were very apologetic...but did not give me any answers. I just don't want this to happen to anyone else...

Do you think it's wrong for me to ask for a full refund for the food? I paid $600.00 (enough food for 75 people) for my guests to get sick! I'm just really frustrated....I have my wife calling today to see if they have any answers...and to ask for a refund.

The worst part of it all is...my 1 year old is thowing up like crazy can't keep anything down and is dehydrated. And I'm pretty sure I know what it was that made everyone sick considering he only ate Mashed potatoes....I'm gonna forward on that information to the caterer.

If they don't refund me can I report them???? What can I do when something like this happens???

-Marlon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

I say talk with the company again before you start going any farther. Get a list of names also of the people that were sick and what the issues they had. Heck have them call the company to HEHE

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Have em pay for medical bills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahyeah77 View Post
The worst part of it all is...my 1 year old is thowing up like crazy can't keep anything down and is dehydrated.
Sorry to hear about the disaster.

Try mixing some Powerade with water, or spend the bucks on Pedialyte for your 1 year old. Hope he feels better
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
Sorry to hear about the disaster.

Try mixing some Powerade with water, or spend the bucks on Pedialyte for your 1 year old. Hope he feels better
Yea I took him to the Dr. yesterday..and he's on around the clock pedialyte but he's so whiny and I know he feels like crap...it's just hard to see him like that when he so playful and happy all the time.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
Man thats nuts... I'd have them refund the entire 600 or threaten with a lawyer or BBB

teets
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2medic View Post
I say talk with the company again before you start going any farther. Get a list of names also of the people that were sick and what the issues they had. Heck have them call the company to HEHE
Yea...I'm going to see what they say today. It's just really embarrassing and furstating at the same time.

This AM I talked to a couple people who were sick and are now starting to feel better. So i'm sure it just has to pass but I'm just upset at the whole situation.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:07 AM
CUBS fan, not a SOX hater

Sportbike: F3
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: AJCrowley/NESBA

Send a message via Yahoo to JackPot
Quote:
I'm so embarrased for my guests who came over to my house for a 1st birthday for my son!

I had a party at the house on Sat and catered some food. Sunday afternoon I start getting calls from all my guests...they all are throwing up and have diarreaha! WTF.

Then my wife tells me she feels nausea and both my kids are thowing up. I'd say about 60% of the people who came got sick. I've spent the past couple days caring for my family and talking to all my guests and apologizing for what happened.

So I called the catering company and asked if they had any complaints. I told them about he situation and they were very apologetic...but did not give me any answers. I just don't want this to happen to anyone else...

Do you think it's wrong for me to ask for a full refund for the food? I paid $600.00 (enough food for 75 people) for my guests to get sick! I'm just really frustrated....I have my wife calling today to see if they have any answers...and to ask for a refund.

The worst part of it all is...my 1 year old is thowing up like crazy can't keep anything down and is dehydrated. And I'm pretty sure I know what it was that made everyone sick considering he only ate Mashed potatoes....I'm gonna forward on that information to the caterer.

If they don't refund me can I report them???? What can I do when something like this happens???

-Marlon
Call the county health board where the catering company is located. We had this happen in colorado a few years ago. We were at our big annual dog show (The entire hotel and convention center was dog people) and everyone that ate at a paticular restaurant in the hotel ended up getting sick...we all thought the flu was going around.

A few months later I get a call for the co. Health inspector...they were calling every attendee from the show. Turns out there was a massive case of food poisioning that many of us at the hotel got. Mine was very mild, some had it so bad they were hospitalized.

Make sure you get a list of people together and report this.

Nicole
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blood coursing through my veins may be red, but I bleed CUBBIE BLUE!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:07 AM

Sportbike: 01' ZX-6R
Years Riding: since I've been able to get it up:)
How you found us: google

I hope everyone feels better soon. Is this is company that you have done orders from before?? are they well known??
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

That must be really frustrating, I'm sorry to hear that.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Call the health department NOW!!!

This constitutes as a food borne illness outbreak, health department will take it very seriously. You should also get a refund and they may be liable for medical bills and you may be able to sue for pain & suffering.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Try to deal with the catering company without getting emotional. Calmly tell them that they have caused a mess and that they should refund you at the very least. Make sure you talk to a manager and not just whoever answers the phone. If they are not willing to work with you on a refund just let them know that you will be issuing a complaint with the BBB. Then issue a complaint.

Also, if you paid with a credit card dispute the charges. If you do that make sure you document EVERYTHING. Here is a link that gives some tips on disputing CC charges. Good luck.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20020617a.asp

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post

This constitutes as a food borne illness outbreak, health department will take it very seriously. You should also get a refund and they may be liable for medical bills and you may be able to sue for pain & suffering.
+1

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs240 View Post
I hope everyone feels better soon. Is this is company that you have done orders from before?? are they well known??
It's a pretty well known company on the southside...I'm so tempted to give the name but I want to respect the company for now. I have ordered from them numerous times...and never had a problem.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Try to deal with the catering company without getting emotional. Calmly tell them that they have caused a mess and that they should refund you at the very least. Make sure you talk to a manager and not just whoever answers the phone. If they are not willing to work with you on a refund just let them know that you will be issuing a complaint with the BBB. Then issue a complaint.

Also, if you paid with a credit card dispute the charges. If you do that make sure you document EVERYTHING. Here is a link that gives some tips on disputing CC charges. Good luck.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20020617a.asp

Thanks...I did pay with a CC..and will def do this if they do not cooperate.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I think your right...Do I report this without the company knowing? Or do I work with the Company first...and see what their steps are?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
I think your right...Do I report this without the company knowing? Or do I work with the Company first...and see what their steps are?
I'm a chef so I deal with this all the time. Working with the business will not do anything. They may refund your money and apologize, but it is your duty as a customer to call the health department and report the illness. Just think, next time someone may DIE from food poisoning.

Health department will visit them and go through there operation with a fine tooth comb. They may get fined, closed or maybe nothing, but the business owner will be aware they are being held accountable for their lack of professionalism. Call the health department and don't let the caterer know you have done so, they may just clean up their operation for the impending visit. You want the health department to sneak attack them to see how the operation runs normally.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm a chef so I deal with this all the time. Working with the business will not do anything. They may refund your money and apologize, but it is your duty as a customer to call the health department and report the illness. Just think, next time someone may DIE from food poisoning.

Health department will visit them and go through there operation with a fine tooth comb. They may get fined, closed or maybe nothing, but the business owner will be aware they are being held accountable for their lack of professionalism. Call the health department and don't let the caterer know you have done so, they may just clean up their operation for the impending visit. You want the health department to sneak attack them to see how the operation runs normally.
I just got off the phone with the Manager...they are in the process of calling other people who catered from them on the same day. So far no one has reported anything....The manger has forwarded my number to the owner as he is the one who needs to care for the issue. I'll update you all once he calls me back. I told the manager everything and how embarressed I am..hopefully they figure out what happen and give me a refund.

And as far as the department of health...I'm def going to call them and notify them. I'll prob call in a couple days once this all settles down and after I talk to the owner...that way he thinks everything is cool.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
I just got off the phone with the Manager...they are in the process of calling other people who catered from them on the same day. So far no one has reported anything....The manger has forwarded my number to the owner as he is the one who needs to care for the issue. I'll update you all once he calls me back. I told the manager everything and how embarressed I am..hopefully they figure out what happen and give me a refund.

And as far as the department of health...I'm def going to call them and notify them. I'll prob call in a couple days once this all settles down and after I talk to the owner...that way he thinks everything is cool.

Waiting on this is pointless, you need to report this immediately.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with the owner and he was very apologetic. He notified me that they catered food for a couple hundred people on saturday and is contacting all of them. They are refunding my money...and will continue to reasearch what was done differently. He told me this has never ever happened to him before and was really concerned. He asked that if I find out anything else to contact him.

As far as the department of health...I'm calling now.

This whole ordeal just really sucks..I hope it never happens to any of guys. Thanks all for your input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode