My Sport Touring Machine! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Mile Muncher

Sportbike: 2005 LE, Hayabusa
Years Riding: Two Weeks! :)
How you found us: Did a search on Crazy!!

My Sport Touring Machine!

My Sport Touring Machine!

Well, after riding my VTX1800R I got used to carrying everything with me on trips. To make matters worse my really good friend rode a Gold Wing and if needed would carry my stuff in his trailer; yeah I was spoiled.

I bought the Hayabusa because I couldn’t pass up a good deal from a family member, and I wanted to convert it into a Sport Touring motorcycle. Last year I didn’t have to worry about luggage because my friend had carried my luggage on our trips. But he moved back to Texas and I needed to make some changes.

So, here’s what I did! The first thing I added was Heli Risers I don't have a picture since it's hard to tell, but they raise the bars up a 1 5/8 what a difference.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I went with the GIVI 46 liter top case with SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack. I like that I can lock my stuff and its waterproof. What’s also nice is that it clips off the bike in two seconds.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/162/107/

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Next I added the ZUMO 450 GPS unit. So, far I really like the device and it appears to be pretty rugged compared to my NUVI 350. I used a setup I found online from CYCO Active; it uses a Ram Mount ball threaded thru the steering spindle.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/ga...=&B=Sport&C=&D

Another option that I was considering was from Gadget Guy really cool site and pictures to view different bike configurations.
http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGallery/PhotoGallery.html

Photobucket
Photobucket
Since I already had a helmet ear phones for music, I wanted to step it up and add a communication system. I bought the Starcom 1 Advance communication system from a friend. It had a full face helmet headset for solo rider and power cable. Above is a picture of the mic installed with velcro. The other picture is showing how only one cable is hanging from the helmet; not to messy.
http://www.starcom1.com/

So, far I’m really pleased with the Starcom and its features. In a previous thread I mentioned that the audio is good and clear with cell phone and the music sounds really good; I don’t have to use a mini amplifier. The Headset is comfortable and mic does not get in the way. Although you will have to configure the VOX or determine what works best for you and different level of speeds. I’ll also be adding a two-way radio in the near future for bike to bike and probably the external volume control.

Photobucket
I decided to install the device into the tank bag because I like the idea of having everything easily accessible. I got the idea from RKA communication tankbags. I decided to use one of my older tank bags first before cutting up my 14 liter Cortech. It was also cheaper that buying RKA’s luggage bag. Above is a picture of what’s in my tankbag (Cell phone & Mp3), two-way radio next. I don’t have the ZUMO 450 hooked up because I can’t stand hearing the GPS voice/talking.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tan...d%20Sheet.html

I also added power to that tank bag using Powerlet’s SAE cables from battery to tankbag.
I found most of my cables from Spoiled Biker’s website; they seem to be a little less expensive and fast delivery. http://www.spoiledbiker.com/

So, that about sums it up although I am considering installing a distribution block and relay switch as a precaution to not drain the battery in case I leave something on. A really cool feature on the Starcom is that it will not power up until you connect the headset. I’m probably going to do something like this
Photobucket

Hope this helps anyone looking to add a communication device, GPS, or luggage setup. All said and done my friend asked “why didn’t you just buy a Gold Wing”? , I guess this is just my version of a Gold Wing! And that would be to easy..

Last edited by Thunderfoot; 05-27-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Updating pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

That's outstanding. Hyper Touring at its finest!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Got RC36?

Sportbike: x
Years Riding: x
How you found us: x

One badass ride that puts the 'SPORT' in sport touring!

-Mike
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:00 PM

Really cool. I've thought about converting a busa into a sport touring bike before and this is getting the gears turning again. Nice and clean so far! Where'd you pick up the Zumo at? Keep us (at least me) updated on anything else you get done.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Mile Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrin316 View Post
Really cool. I've thought about converting a busa into a sport touring bike before and this is getting the gears turning again. Nice and clean so far! Where'd you pick up the Zumo at? Keep us (at least me) updated on anything else you get done.
Thanks guys, yeah if I add anything else I'll let you know or if their is anything I can help with send me a PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:05 PM

What's that on your front fender?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrin316 View Post
What's that on your front fender?
I believe that is a dragon sticker
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Mile Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwingop View Post
I believe that is a dragon sticker
Correct! I was their last year with the Busa and probably going in Sept. Fun time and every road down their is a twisty!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

Very nice! Good write-up.

To power my GPS, I bought a connector that would fit the battery lead for my Optimate charger. Works great and keeps things simple.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode