Does this sound right? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

Sportbike: 96 zx-6r
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: www.sportbikes.net

Does this sound right?

I'm going to try to make a long story short. This morning before work i went to tighten up the bolt that holds my headlight to the bracket, becuase i noticed it was loose the other night and moving around, overtightened it and broke the bolt, took the headlight off, went to work bought a new bolt and got pulled over on the way home heading west on 38 in Maple Park. I showed the officer the mount, the two wires sticking out, the broken and new bolts in my pocket and he wrote me up. Which sucks, but yes i guess i had it coming.

Anyways as I'm sitting there im thinking a fix it ticket like if my light was out on my cage. Nope, he writes me a moving violation, and takes my license for bond, like a speeding ticket. Is this right, im baffled how i got a moving violation for a problem with my bike....do I have any right to be kinda pissed and confused? Or am I just naive?

Sidenote the cop was a dick for no reason, he started giving me shit for having my visor up...which it wasn't...it's just clear, and covered in fresh bugs...and going over my bike and checking all the lights and plate and what not. And to top it off as im sitting on my bike 5 feet in front of his fucking expedition he hits the sirens, i jump up and look around like wtf, and he's point to his passenger window. He has all his windows down why he couldn't have yelled or walked up to me who the fuck knows, but I walk over and he says "I thought you said you were one your way home?" and I said yes...and he questioned why my address was in Aurora...and when i tried to explain that was my parents address, that I rent in DeKalb because I go to school he seemed to think I was full of shit. Anyway I'm pissed and kinda fealing like a I got the shitty end of some assholes bad day.

Baseballdz (5:14:48 PM): i went to take a piss at about midnight and all i hear is bed springs going nuts and teresa squeeling like a fucking pig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
He was a bit harsh but you must have that headlight on to operate a motorcycle. He had every right to use the siren on you.

That being said I would go to court with receipts and what not and see if the judge will toss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

i know he had a right to use the siren, but why would he. this was after he had my license and insurance and was sitting in his truck, and i was leaning on the bike just waiting, i mean we were in the country, it's quite he could have gotten my attention with a hey come here a sec...ya know?

Baseballdz (5:14:48 PM): i went to take a piss at about midnight and all i hear is bed springs going nuts and teresa squeeling like a fucking pig
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:34 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
That being said I would go to court with receipts and what not and see if the judge will toss it.
there ya go.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red96 View Post
i know he had a right to use the siren, but why would he. this was after he had my license and insurance and was sitting in his truck, and i was leaning on the bike just waiting, i mean we were in the country, it's quite he could have gotten my attention with a hey come here a sec...ya know?
Oh! You were already stopped and off the bike. That is a horse of another color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:37 PM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

Well what I would do if I was you is to take the recipts of everything you bought to fix the light into court like mentioned. Being very calm I would explain the situation and how you were in the process of fixing it but needed to take your bike with to get the correct bolt size and length. Just tell him the truth and see what happens. You must have working lights to drive on the street tho. Theres no way you can get out of that. Just hope that you can catch the judge in a good mood.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

I guess the one thing that I don't get is what makes this different than having no headlights on your car(say driving it after a wreck), or tinted windows, or no front plate, or something like that, where it's just a fine. What got me is how when it's a bike it becomes a moving violation that'll go on my record.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

A friend of mine got a ticket for having one of the headlights out on his 748. Dumbass Stone Park.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 AM

Sportbike: 04 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: 8 yrs.
How you found us: From a friend

It's the law to have your lights on on your bike. Remember when you take the test on your permit. Hope you will get away with this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

It would seem to me that the difference between the car and the bike light would go like this.

Car lights are optional during the day. IF you stopped a car at night with no lights, it would be a moving violation.

Bike lights are required ALWAYS in Illinois. Stop it anytime, and it is a moving violation.

Just guessing, but that would be my common sense approach.

As far as what to do, be CALM, and truthful in court, and hope for the best.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 AM

Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
It is a LAW. And most cops will look another way once you identify that you are trying to fix it. But every now and then you get one of these poor suckers that did not get enough love and carrying when they were little.

Do what others said, show up in court with prof and hope for the best.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
I got pulled over once, with no M rating, and he issued the traffic violation and I was on my way. Some cops are nicer? or more naive? than others.

What it comes down to is obeying the law. As soon as you start to break it and a five-0 wants to mess with you, you gotta suck it up and take it like a man. Don't fuck with Johnny Law.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode