Air Purifiers - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Air Purifiers

Since the living room is getting cleaned up I figured its time to get an air purifier since the air in the house here is a dustfield between the age of the house and the dogs.

I'm a virgin when it comes to them, what kind would you recommend? Price isnt really an issue. The house is about 1800 sq ft and heres how it breaks down.

3 200 sq ft bedrooms (approximatly)
500 sq ft living room
500 sq ft basement
200 sq ft kitchen (approximatly)

I was looking at these IQPurifiers for around $650 or so but not sure if im just wasting money at that point or if it actually makes a difference?

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

I have some Honeywell Enviracare HEPAs that I have been using for almost 10 years. I deal with them twice a year for the charcoal filter (wash/dry/reuse a few times) and the main filter itself maybe once every year or two. I got 3 out of one once in the bedroom upstairs because it's the least dusty.

The biggest help for the interior of the house is to keep it shut. Don't open windows, minimal door openings, etc. Have some ppl w/ allergies in the house, so I have to live it that way.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Resurrection Janitor

Sportbike: 600RR
Years Riding: Since a week ago Thursday.
How you found us: Dead hooker's thigh tattoo.

Send a message via AIM to Streaker
Ionic Breeze GP FTMFW!

I have bad allergies and have been using these for years. I have pets running around the house all the time too, but they do not bother me unless I unplug my units. Easy clean, just wipe off collection grids, and ready to go.

-Jim
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

fyi, Linens N Things sells the ionic breeze. I know you have a few of the 20% off coupons around. It's a pretty good machine, and if you don't mind the cost, it should be just what you need.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Didn't the Sharper Image get sued because the Ionic Breeze actually made things worse by not only not purifying the air, but also putting out too much ozone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

i just talked to somebody and they recommended a freshair unit? its about $700 but thats about what i was expecting anyway. Anybody use it before.

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Resurrection Janitor

Have no idea. My units have worked completely fine since I purchased them 5-6 years ago.

If someone sued them, they were just trying to get some easy money. My grandparents have some generic purifier and if you turn the ozone knob up too high, it'll give you a head ache. I have not had any of those problems with mine ionic breezes.

-Jim
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Teach me to Ride Please

Sportbike: 2012 HD street glide, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2006 CBR F4I, 2003 Honda XR50
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: The voices in my head

Send a message via AIM to Guess Who? Send a message via MSN to Guess Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaker View Post
Have no idea. My units have worked completely fine since I purchased them 5-6 years ago.

If someone sued them, they were just trying to get some easy money. My grandparents have some generic purifier and if you turn the ozone knob up too high, it'll give you a head ache. I have not had any of those problems with mine ionic breezes.
I have 2 of them and I agree they do work. I could really tell the difference when I smoked. I bought my mom one also and she loves it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

i was reading about the ionic breezes and time after time there are articles about it emitting ozone and that can really get to people with asthma. (me, my brother and father have it) so i think thats out.

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Resurrection Janitor

I have asthma and have had no problems since I have owned these. I am allergic to everything except horse hair. These work very well. Your articles have to be wrong???

Your choice though, I was just pitching in ideas from experience. I have owned others and none have worked as well.

-Jim
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

The ionic breeze type purifers do emit small amounts of ozone. As you may now, ozone is corrosive to your lung tissue. I don't believe they produce enough ozone to be of major concern, but it is a con of these types of filters. The largest drawback to this type of filter is that it simply doesn't move enough of the air inside your house acorss their collection plates to be very effective. Think about it, there is no blower fan moving air through this type of filter. I don't dispute that it removes some black nasty gunk out of the air, but not enough to have much impact on a whole house.
As far as a whole house filter goes, it is probably easiest to get one that installs on the air return of your current HVAC system (if you have a forced air system). This means that you will need to run your furnance fan in order to filter the air. Honeywell makes several models. A HEPA level filter is a must if you really want to remove odors and allergians. They make versions that include an UV bulb to kill air borne viruses, bacteria, mold, etc. I don't have much experience with these. I have read that you would probably need several bulbs for them to actually be effective.

the uncarved stone
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa

anyone?

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
The ionic breeze type purifers do emit small amounts of ozone. As you may now, ozone is corrosive to your lung tissue. I don't believe they produce enough ozone to be of major concern, but it is a con of these types of filters. The largest drawback to this type of filter is that it simply doesn't move enough of the air inside your house acorss their collection plates to be very effective. Think about it, there is no blower fan moving air through this type of filter. I don't dispute that it removes some black nasty gunk out of the air, but not enough to have much impact on a whole house.
As far as a whole house filter goes, it is probably easiest to get one that installs on the air return of your current HVAC system (if you have a forced air system). This means that you will need to run your furnance fan in order to filter the air. Honeywell makes several models. A HEPA level filter is a must if you really want to remove odors and allergians. They make versions that include an UV bulb to kill air borne viruses, bacteria, mold, etc. I don't have much experience with these. I have read that you would probably need several bulbs for them to actually be effective.
Im glad you mentined that because I did some research yesterday and found out the HEPA filters are gonna be your best bet, but the problem is the filter replacements are $80 every month or so. Definatly not worth it.

The freesh Air unit im looking at also i found dealer cost is $449. Dealers are selling them for $760 trying to push a warranty? wtf$250 for a warranty? Fok that. Also the fresh air unit also has an option to have a clean that emits ozone or not. Since my house is insanly dusty and i have pets thats my main concern. I can see the dust floating everywhere and its gotten to the point i cant stand it anymore. (house is old)

Now you also said honeywell has a system that goes into forced air (which i do have central air) so im almost thinking that might be the best bet. Are there any models you recommend?

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Quote:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Slum Overlord

I would take a look at Honeywell's website to check out the differences in models. I don't have any personal experience with their newer models. That $80/month estimate for HEPA filters is kind of bogus as it would depend on WHO's filter system you were using, how often you ran it, how dirty your environment is, etc. etc. Most of the filters I have seen are rated for 3months on average. Some are even washable. The term HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air. The term is used to discribe a filter that is able to effectively filter very small air particles such as smoke and animal dander (99.97% efficient down to .3 micrometers). Another filter choice to consider for use with your HVAC system is an electro-static filter setup. This is actually very similar to an Ionic breeze filter in that metal plates are electrically charged and attract air contaminents. These filters types are nice because you rinse off the filters every couple of months and that is all that is required. Unless you are comfortable with bending metal ducts, you will probably need an HVAC guy to install either of these types of filter.
IMO, if you are concerned with Pets and allergies, I would do most of my searching on HEPA type filters. They are the gold standard for air filters.

the uncarved stone
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

I saw the hepa filters from honeywell. The only question is would a filter in my heating ducts make that big of a difference? Because if so then im all about those.

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Quote:
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Mort approves of Bmoney's ideas.

Ex's family had a huge one on the return system because one of the kids had bad allergies and it did the trick.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Slum Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero View Post
I saw the hepa filters from honeywell. The only question is would a filter in my heating ducts make that big of a difference? Because if so then im all about those.
It would make all the difference in the world. Like I stated in an earlier post, you would need to cycle or run the HVAC blower fan in order to circulate air through this type of filter setup. Additionally, any time your AC or Heat is working, it is also filtering your air. Put it this way, when you compare your various air filter options, make sure you verify the CFM each type of filtering system would use. In other words, how much air does each type of filter system move (cleaned air). Trust me, the blower in your HVAC system will almost always out perform any of the stand alone units.
I also have a stand alone filter like the one Arch posted. These will work fine in a bedroom or office. If you really want to clean the air in the house, the best and most economical way to do so is to utilize your existing forced air ducts to move air over your filter media.
If you take it to an extreme, I have seen negative pressure rooms built with HEPA filtration that function as "safe rooms" in the case of a nuclear fallout. They require air-tight construction and large air movers in duct work in order to achieve this negative pressure affect (meaning, the only air that gets into the room is filtered air). They also line the ceiling and walls with lead sheets, but that's getting into a whole different topic.

the uncarved stone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode