Helmet law for lane splitting = good trade? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Ask my wife
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: google

Helmet law for lane splitting = good trade?

So as I sat in a bit of traffic I had the thought. Illinois should allow lane splitting and adopt a helmet law. I think it's a good trade, less time being a sitting duck in traffic and safer motorcyclists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

There was a vote about that same issue about a year or so ago in Sprinfiled - it was canned, thanks among other factors to the effort of our site sponsor - Abate.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Teach me to Ride Please

Sportbike: 2012 HD street glide, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2006 CBR F4I, 2003 Honda XR50
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: The voices in my head

Send a message via AIM to Guess Who? Send a message via MSN to Guess Who?
splitting would be nice

RIP ASHWIN 7/23/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
trust me i am not the same cock sucker i was a few years ago either and so on.
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Adopt the Cali Law - Lane Splitting Legal with no more than 10 mph faster than the moving (or stopped) Traffic

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Adopt the Cali Law - Lane Splitting Legal with no more than 10 mph faster than the moving (or stopped) Traffic
Isn't that if the traffic is traveling slower than ____?
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

Dave13 is all about lane splitting. Better than having your clutch hand go numb and watch your temp rise to the boiling point.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:37 PM
A*

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 7
How you found us:

Send a message via AIM to Spej
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Dave13 is all about lane splitting. Better than having your clutch hand go numb and watch your temp rise to the boiling point.
220 degrees on 90 today

2005YamahaArrr6

If you guys need real IT help for your business and not some kid who lives at home, I run a growing consulting firm. Contact me here.
Mention you're from CLSB.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
Isn't that if the traffic is traveling slower than ____?
I forget the actual MPH the traffic must be at but I do remember the max over for splitting being 10 mph

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Do you know why ABATE opposes? I was looking on their current legislation list and they oppose a child helmet law http://www.abate-il.org/legislative/ondgo.htm

Seems like they are very for rider education but they against anything that tries to control in any way what a motorcyclist can or can't do. I would be for a law forcing passengers under 16 to wear a helmet. To be honest I think a helmet law makes sense. I get that some like the freedom of the wind in your hair, but if you bonk your head you will eventually become a ward of the state. To me that means tax dollars that could be used to maintain roads educate riders or more importantly educate our children, will be spent to wipe drool of some jackasses chin.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy View Post
Do you know why ABATE opposes? I was looking on their current legislation list and they oppose a child helmet law http://www.abate-il.org/legislative/ondgo.htm

Seems like they are very for rider education but they against anything that tries to control in any way what a motorcyclist can or can't do. I would be for a law forcing passengers under 16 to wear a helmet. To be honest I think a helmet law makes sense. I get that some like the freedom of the wind in your hair, but if you bonk your head you will eventually become a ward of the state. To me that means tax dollars that could be used to maintain roads educate riders or more importantly educate our children, will be spent to wipe drool of some jackasses chin.
i think there reasoning is, if they make a helmet law its just the first of many laws to come down the pipe. they are trying to stop it at the head.

go abate!

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:01 PM
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
Helmet for lane splitting would be an excellent trade off.

Russ
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratva5 View Post
Helmet for lane splitting would be an excellent trade off.
you guys still fail to realize. the asshole cagers who still think they are gonna "show you" even though its completely legal to lane split in traffic. then your lying in the hospital and all that guy gets is a slap on the wrist.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:08 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Wait a minute, you guys don't wheelie down the dotted line? Dammit, I saw G2G doing it so I followed suit.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Raging lunar zoomonkey

Sportbike: 06' CBR 1000RR
Years Riding: we're supposed to ride?
How you found us: yahoo

Send a message via AIM to stumbl1 Send a message via MSN to stumbl1 Send a message via Yahoo to stumbl1
I believe it's 35 in Cali so you can only go 45.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
you guys still fail to realize. the asshole cagers who still think they are gonna "show you" even though its completely legal to lane split in traffic. then your lying in the hospital and all that guy gets is a slap on the wrist.
it would take a few years to get everyone used to the fact, but you have to start sometime. I understand why ABATE is against helmet law and disagree with them, but don't want to start this endless argument here.

That said - I was stuck in a half mile long traffic jam few days ago and started lane splitting after I was going to die at 75 degrees wearing my leather jacket with liner.

Shortly, lincoln navigator is trying to pull out to block my path about 2-3 cars ahead of me...I swing to the other side of the SUV to make a save pass when I see a hand stuck out of the driver's window...holding a badge

He gave me a safety speech from his SUV and let me get in front of him..., probably to get my plates written down. I wonder if he gets me a ticket, could I fight it in court based on the fact he cut me off and endangered my life?
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Ahhh...the "Public Burden theory"... The fact is that in the real world the actual number of motorcyclists that have actually been put on public assitance due to head trauma is less than .002% of ALL Americans that are on public assitance for medical reasons...the public burden theory doesn't hold up AND it was the brainchild of a group of anti motorcycle safety nazis over 20 years ago in an effort to trump up public support for helmet laws. These same people were the ones who wanted to outright ban Sportbikes Nationally, and much to your surprise I'm sure...It was A.B.A.T.E (and other SMRO's) , the MRF and the AMA working jointly that stopped the proposed Sportbike ban dead! Yep...the "Harley riders" or "cruiser crowd" as some would put it, stepped up on behalf of the sportbike riders and got the Bill defeated!
The underage helmet law is two things that A.B.A.T.E opposes...1. It's a "foot in the door" attempt at getting a helmet law to the floor for a vote and getting support for it under the guise of "protecting children" and then has a rider attached to include adults just as the vote is being taken ...AND...#2. It's the "Nanny State" usurping the right and responsibility of the parent!
A helmet law approach to motorcycle safety is a "have a safer crash" approach to motorcycle safety...A.B.A.T.E's emphasis on rider training and motorist awareness is a "don't have the crash at all" approach.
As to "lane splitting" or "filtering"...It is NOT legal in California, IT IS not illegal, and it is tolerated by the state police who have full discretion as to whether or not the rider should be cited for generic charges such as Reckless driving.
I ALWAYS wear a helmet...I will OPPOSE to my last breath any "nanny state" attempt to chip away one more of my freedoms by enacting a mandatory helmet law!
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Sure the slippery slope argument. Don't get me wrong here I own my own business and believe me I get real sick of government getting up my ass. But I also think we should do what is necessary the idiot kid who jumps on a bike that is way out of their league without a helmet on because they are still believe that they are invincible. Or the age old "I'd rater be dead than a vegetable" of course they don't realize that they are 10000 times more likely to end up a vegetable in a minor incident that they would have walked away form had they been wearing a helmet.

Honestly the helmet law thing is kind of a dead horse, we all know why you should wear a helmet. I'm really most interested in lane splitting.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:25 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy View Post
Honestly the helmet law thing is kind of a dead horse, we all know why you should wear a helmet. I'm really most interested in lane splitting.
you can be interested it all you want, even if it was legal, its not the smartest thing to do. even if there was a law making it ok, there will still be some cager with an axe to grind.

on my ride to work, i have had multiple cagers use there cars as road blocks to me even though i'm completely in my own lane.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: I ride a tricycle
How you found us: Google!

There is a thread on this every month. Pretty much lane split if you want. Nobody will be catching you anyhow.

-Zach
http://www.myspace.com/zachreborn

PSN: reborn29
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
As to the original question in this thread? I would vote for it in a heartbeat?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

How long does a free society stay free if we start making exceptions to personal freedoms and the ability of even the stupid or foolhardy to make choices for themselves? There is more at stake here, and I'm not just talking about helmet laws, even though it's the example at hand. Americans have been accepting a slow diminishing of their ability to determine for themselves what is good for them for far too long and far too much! In the grand scheme of things a helmet law is very small, but in the longrun...where do you draw the line? Because I am a hard core motorcycle enthusiast, and have been one for many years, a helmet law is one of the places I've chosen to draw that line. We all know that a helmet can reduce the severity of head injuries in an accident, but that ability is limited. BUT... the helmet law proponants give the non-motorcycling public the impression that the helmet is a magic pill and infallible..."All we have to do is pass this law and everyone who rides a motorcycle will be safe!" We ride...we know it doesn't work that way. Because of the limits of helmets...in a free society...shouldn't we be allowed to choose for ourselves?
The other side of this coin is..."Now that we have a helmet law in Illinois..we won't be needing rider training any more"... and our illustrious Governor would get his hands on more of OUR money (not tax money) to squander on "buying" his re-election (if he doesn't get indicted).
There is ALOT more to this than meets the eye and trading legalized lane splitting for a mandatory helmet law would NOT be worth it...for 2 reasons: 1. Anyone who wants to lane split on the Dan Ryan or the Kennedy or the Stevenson or the Tri-State Tollway etc. is certifiably insane and should be commited to a home for the mentally ill for their own protection! Take it from me...I've lived in Chicago all of my life and I've been riding for over 35 years!
2. They'd pass the necessary legislation for the ill-conceived trade off, and after a riding season (or less) they'd change the law saying that lane splitting is TOO dangerous! Believe it or not, that was the plan last year when this was originally proposed...friendly politicians let us in on it!

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 05-18-2008 at 11:13 PM.
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 PM

so it is not about helmets after all it about bigger bikes...................
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:48 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Incredible!

Dave
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 PM

Sportbike: 03 honda f4i,03 z1000
Years Riding: 9 years
How you found us: cerkmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
There is ALOT more to this than meets the eye and trading legalized lane splitting for a mandatory helmet law would NOT be worth it...for 2 reasons: 1. Anyone who wants to lane split on the Dan Ryan or the Kennedy or the Stevenson or the Tri-State Tollway etc. is certifiably insane and should be commited to a home for the mentally ill for their own protection! Take it from me...I've lived in Chicago all of my life and I've been riding for over 35 years!
2. They'd pass the necessary legislation for the ill-conceived trade off, and after a riding season (or less) they'd change the law saying that lane splitting is TOO dangerous! Believe it or not, that was the plan last year when this was originally proposed...friendly politicians let us in on it!

+1 ding ding ding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
Nothing compared to the Toyota Tundra, huh??
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

I am absolutely against our crook of a gov getting his hands on rider education money. If anything I think more money needs to be dedicated to it. I would support something along the lines of an extra $4 fee at license renewal to keep your M endorsement all of the money going to more MSF courses.

I guess if I'm honest with myself about how I ride the situations where I'd split lanes would be very few. My attitudes and acceptable risks are different than when I was 21. I would never split lanes in rush hour traffic downtown, but where I live now I could creep alongside a line of cars on Randal rd and be out of everyones way instead of waiting for 5 light cycles as some drunken soccer mom talking on her cell phone while changing the DVD for her screaming kids in the back hopefully doesn't run me over. I'd rather manage and deal with things happening in front of me that I can see then have someone take me out from behind. I also know that the same idiot riding in flip-flops a t-shirt and no helmet may interpret the law to mean that he can do stunts down the highway at 10 mph faster than traffic.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:02 AM

Sportbike: 2010 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 4

Send a message via Skype™ to drozek
So the question I want answered is: Is lane splitting legal in the state of Illinois? At this current moment.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozek View Post
So the question I want answered is: Is lane splitting legal in the state of Illinois? At this current moment.

No

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by drozek View Post
It's not wrong if you don't get caught

Currently... No, it is NOT legal to lane split.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:28 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by samal View Post
(blah blah blah deleted)

He gave me a safety speech from his SUV and let me get in front of him..., probably to get my plates written down. I wonder if he gets me a ticket, could I fight it in court based on the fact he cut me off and endangered my life?
seems like your the only one endangering your own life.

you know what the law is and you're coming up with pretty weak excuses to justify your actions.

if you do get a ticket, man up and write the check

if you're interested in getting the law changed, then go make a phone call or write a letter to your state representative and let him know your desires. being a rebel in front of people tasked to enforce the current laws isn't an effective use of your time

Last edited by Ernie; 05-19-2008 at 02:35 AM.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 05:17 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

As having rode in Kalifornia and split lanes with the best of em', I'm here ta tell ya, it's fookin' dangerous as hell. Cagers do not like bikes lane splitting and they let you know it. And we all know it's always Car 1, Biker 0 when it comes to a shovin' contest.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode