My weekend was nuts... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
dre

Sportbike: sv650
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: great googley moogley

My weekend was nuts...

OK so Saturday and Sunday I took my BRC at Motorcycle Learning. Class was good, Juan, Jude and Claire were great. I had a very positive experience. That's not what this is about, unfortunately.

After class on Saturday, I went and picked up my bike, a 2005 SV 650 from a guy in Gurnee. We signed the papers in the parking lot of Gurnee Mills, then my friend (let's call him Styles) rode the bike home. Of course the minute he hopped on the bike it started raining. It wasn't too bad though. We stopped for a sandwich right when it started and waited about 20 minutes for the slick stuff to get washed off the road. This was around 7:30pm or so, I don't quite remember. I told Styles that the weather was supposed to blow over, we could wait it out if he didn't want to get wet but he said it was no problem.

Styles is an experienced rider, he started with a GS500 and then had an F4, but sold it last summer. He's ridden a few SV650s too so he was familiar with the bike. He still rides though and has friends who ride. He's had his M-class for about 4 years I think. So I took his word that he was comfortable with the situation, and we took off. He was going to follow me back to my place.

We took the side streets back to my house in Streamwood, which meant Grand Ave to 176 to Rt 59. On Rt. 59 and Sunset Rd in Barrington, traffic on Sunset has a stop sign. As I passed Sunset Rd, a car blew through the stop sign and barely stopped in time to avoid me. Styles was riding behind me. As I passed Sunset I thought to myself, "oh no, that guy isn't going to pull out, is he?"

Well, yeah the idiot pulled out in front of Styles on the bike. Styles braked hard, locked the rear wheel, and had the bike upright until he hit the guy's passenger side bumper. Then he went down on the right side. Idiot in the car took off. We pulled over and waited for a chance to make a U-turn.

The driver of a car in oncoming traffic saw the accident, saw Styles go down, pulled over and called the cops. She had already called by the time we got back there. Styles was on his feet when we got there, he was shaken up quite a bit but OK. He was wearing a helmet, jacket, jeans and boots. He knocked his knee up a bit, got a bunch of scratches on his hands and arms, and a few other minor bruises.

I picked up the bike. Handlebars bent, radiator/fan trashed, front turn signal trashed, a dent and scratch on the tank and some scratches on the exhaust and headlight fairing.

Cops and paramedics came. Styles got checked out, they said he was fine. They gave him an ice pack for his knee. Officer gave Styles 4 tickets, one for driving without insurance, one for driving without registration, one for driving without a plate, and then another one that had to do with the registration or something.

The lady who stopped gave a statement to the cops, I gave a statement, then we waited for the tow truck driver. I was able to start and ride the bike up the tow truck ramp no problem, so I know the engine in the bike is OK at least.

Yesterday, they found the driver of the car (Honda Element). I guess he was a 17-year-old kid. He had State Farm. My (awesome) fiancee picked up the bike from the tow place while I took the second part of my class at Motorcycle Learning, so it's in the back of her friend's work truck in Schaumburg right now.

I was going to call in the insurance before Styles got on it, but it was starting to rain, so I was like, well, I'll just do it when I get home. That was dumb. I also thought you could drive/ride on a title for the first 24 hours until you got registration, apparently that's not true. Dumb.

I should be able to get Styles' tickets taken care of if I show up to court with him. I got insurance w/ Progressive the instant I got home on Saturday and got registration/plates today.

As far as the bike, I am pretty sure the accident was 100% the kid's fault, I'm not sure how it's marked on the accident report though. I technically didn't have insurance on the bike at the time, but I think his insurance should cover it. If not, I guess I get to learn how to change out a radiator, turn signal, and handlebars on an SV650... I called my insurance company (Progressive) today and that's pretty much what they told me.

ARRRRRRRGH.

Last edited by dre; 05-19-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Took out seller's name...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
A to B is for Amatuers

Sportbike: 2 Wheeled Junk
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: BWA

Send a message via AIM to goof4080 Send a message via Yahoo to goof4080
probably not best to post your illegal issues on a google searched website.
especially in such detail
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
dre

bike pics...

[Pics Expired, sorry old thread searchers...]

Last edited by dre; 05-09-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: pics expired
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Sorry to hear about all that.

SV650 are easy to work on. Bars, radiator, and signals are supa easy. Make sure your forks and wheels are striaght, that would be my biggest worries!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Ahh, I see it's a yellow one...did you pick that up from Craigs list?

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
probably not best to post your illegal issues on a google searched website.
especially in such detail
I dunno, I don't see how it can hurt anything. My insurance company knows what's going on, I'm not trying to defraud them or State Farm of anything. The only thing that was illegal was driving without registration or insurance, and Styles already got the tickets for that. I thought there was a grace period for both of those, but I guess not.

The only reason I didn't have insurance before picking the bike up was that they needed the VIN#, and I didn't have that until I picked up the bike. I figured it'd be easier to type it in online than call... I wish I had called, but I'm not going to lie about it.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Ahh, I see it's a yellow one...did you pick that up from Craigs list?
Yeah I did, it was up there for about 3 hours total last Monday. I checked it out Monday night and then we agreed on Saturday to exchange money/title.

There was another yellow one up for a while but it was a 2002 I think.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
A to B is for Amatuers

right, but all i'm saying is. :

when you go to court you will probably not be asked if it was 5 min before or after the accident. just show proof of insurance for the day, etc.

but say...so your ins. company takes the 17yr olds to court. they argue it out. and your company has no intention of explaining that insurance was added AFTER the incident. But somewhere they found that you posted that you weren't insured or licensed at the time which gives you no right to have that vehicle on the road, relieving the 17 yr-old of all liability in the case...

btw, sorry about the bum deal. but if it's any consolation i finally got my bike together and ready to be insured a week n a half ago (after a 2.5 year wait), and the night before i was going to insure and ride, i busted my foot. then i finally take it out this fri night, and after 30 mins or so i break a speedo cable, which leads to a few other problems including i will now not be riding for another week or so until archaeologists uncover and dust off another speedocable fossil in the bedrock of some old kawasaki parts warehouse.

Last edited by goof4080; 05-19-2008 at 11:19 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 AM
My lil Stunt Girl

Sportbike: Still riding my 04 R6 in my dreams
Years Riding: Retired
How you found us: Craigslist

Send a message via Yahoo to Chigirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre View Post
I thought there was a grace period for both of those, but I guess not.
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that was a grace period as well. I thought it was at least 24 hours.

Good luck with getting everything resolved and I am glad the rider was not significantly injured and the bike is fixable.

"Live life or get the hell outta my way. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaGirl
Damn haters!

How can you dig for gold when you make your own???
Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn
That is the beauty of photography. You get to capture a moment in time. Each picture tells a story.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
dre

Quote:
right, but all i'm saying is. :

when you go to court you will probably not be asked if it was 5 min before or after the accident. just show proof of insurance for the day, etc.
Yeah that's what I've been told, so at least we can get the tickets out of the way.

Quote:
but say...so your ins. company takes the 17yr olds to court. they argue it out. and your company has no intention of explaining that insurance was added AFTER the incident. But somewhere they found that you posted that you weren't insured or licensed at the time which gives you no right to have that vehicle on the road, relieving the 17 yr-old of all liability in the case...
Well the guy riding the bike has his M-class. And when I talked to my insurance company, they said that they would handle the claim through State Farm, because even though I wasn't insured at the time of the accident, I am their customer now. So they are going to send me a "denial of claim" letter and then take the matter up with State Farm. I'm waiting for a call from them. I mean, even the accident report says "no insurance, no tags" so it's not like State Farm is going to have to go to Google to see if I was insured or not.

The guy from Progressive seemed to think that it would work out. But like I said, if it doesn't, then I get to learn how to fix my bike.

And like I said, ARRRRRRRGH!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

Dave13 looked at the yellow sv on craigslist. Hope of all works out man.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

WOW....I'm glad I have state farm now. They insure whatever you buy for like 30 days until you call them and get the paperwork pushed through.

sorry about all the trouble. hope it works out for you

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
WOW....I'm glad I have state farm now. They insure whatever you buy for like 30 days until you call them and get the paperwork pushed through.

sorry about all the trouble. hope it works out for you
Yeah I think it's because I didn't actually have motorcycle insurance before. I have my car and house insured through Met Life, but they wanted like $1200 a year to insure the bike.. no discount for MSF.. uh no thanks. I didn't even think of asking if Met Life would cover the bike, or if they have any grace period or anything. I guess I should check that out.

So far Progressive has been pretty cool about everything, though.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Don't stare for too long

Sportbike: 2 Wheels and an engine
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: ¿?

Sorry about your mishap. Good thing the rider wasn't seriously hurt. Seems the streets out here are turning into a combat zone. I bet the kid was on his cell phone too!

As for insurance, I too think most companies (unless they're substandard) will insure whatever you buy for 7, 14 or even 30 days before you report it to them. As for registration, how do you get temp plates before submitting the change of ownership or title. You can't ride it?? I suppose the bike can be towed, but car exchanges like this take place everyday. Isn't the signed over title good for a certain amount of time unless you can go in and get the registration properly done?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigirl View Post
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that was a grace period as well. I thought it was at least 24 hours.

Good luck with getting everything resolved and I am glad the rider was not significantly injured and the bike is fixable.
Yeah, me too! I was so relieved to see Styles standing rather than all busted up on the side of the road. I choked when I saw my bike laying there, but people are more important than parts.

Needless to say this was not the best introduction to motorcycling for my fiancee. Or me, for that matter... But there's some lessons here:
  1. Car drivers are friggin' idiots.
  2. Rain sucks.
  3. Bikes are invisible to idiots in cars.
  4. Get tags/insurance taken care of before going on the road.

More as I think of them....

I'm glad I had a place to tell this story, it helps to just go over the situation in my head. Thanks for all the good wishes, guys.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Quote:
Officer gave Styles 4 tickets, one for driving without insurance, one for driving without registration, one for driving without a plate, and then another one that had to do with the registration or something.

I also thought you could drive/ride on a title for the first 24 hours until you got registration, apparently that's not true. Dumb.
As far as plates, insurance, etc.. goes, I've been pulled over before after riding a bike home from a seller without plates, insurance, etc... the cop never did a thing. She was even nice enough to have a chat about her own cruiser of a similar color

Make sure the asshole gets done for hit-and-run. The fucker needs to be taking the bus for the next couple of years.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
As for registration, how do you get temp plates before submitting the change of ownership or title. You can't ride it??
From what I understand, you tow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Isn't the signed over title good for a certain amount of time unless you can go in and get the registration properly done?
The cop said that's a myth. I checked the State of Illinois site when I got home, and sure enough, there's nothing on the books about a grace period of any type. I was certain this was the case too, as was the seller, his wife, his dad and Styles. I have bought cars this way too, and in every case they've told me that you get at least 24 hours to register the car. Other states have laws on the books that say you get a certain amount of time or whatever, but not Illinois.

I'm going to check with my car insurance company and see if they will cover anything. I have to get my policy from my house so I won't be able to do it until later.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 PM
A to B is for Amatuers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL DMV
Vehicle Registration and Title

When you register your vehicle, you are providing the state with a record of that vehicle. This registration allows you to use your vehicle on Illinois roadways.

* Some vehicles do not need to be registered in Illinois. Vehicle registration is not necessary for some manufacturers, transporters, dealers, farm equipment, special mobile equipment and out-of-state registered vehicles that travel from state to state for business reasons. States make arrangements, declarations and reciprocal agreements to allow vehicles to cross state borders without being registered in every state.
* To register your vehicle in Illinois, you must have an Illinois Certificate of Title. This document shows that you own the vehicle.
* All vehicles and mobile homes must have a Certificate of Title whether or not they are registered.
* A purchaser of a vehicle must obtain registration for that vehicle prior to its operation on the roadways.
* For more information, please call 800-252-8980.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...rr_chap13.html

well damn. i think we may all have broken the law before...
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
As far as plates, insurance, etc.. goes, I've been pulled over before after riding a bike home from a seller without plates, insurance, etc... the cop never did a thing. She was even nice enough to have a chat about her own cruiser of a similar color

Make sure the asshole gets done for hit-and-run. The fucker needs to be taking the bus for the next couple of years.
It probably depends on the situation. The cop said that he had called the bike in by the VIN# without the tags, and since it was an accident, if he failed to follow up on it he'd be in trouble. He was nice about the whole thing, and he said if we brought the documents to court the tickets would probably be dismissed. I bet they have to be stricter in an accident than they do in a traffic stop for speeding or something.

Yeah I am going to call the cop today and see if he gave the guy any tickets. He doesn't get in until this afternoon.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, me too! I was so relieved to see Styles standing rather than all busted up on the side of the road. I choked when I saw my bike laying there, but people are more important than parts.

Needless to say this was not the best introduction to motorcycling for my fiancee. Or me, for that matter... But there's some lessons here:
  1. Car drivers are friggin' idiots.
  2. Rain sucks.
  3. Bikes are invisible to idiots in cars.
  4. Get tags/insurance taken care of before going on the road.

More as I think of them....

I'm glad I had a place to tell this story, it helps to just go over the situation in my head. Thanks for all the good wishes, guys.

thanks for sharing. It's always a good idea to remind peeps to check out the local laws and check with insurance co's before picking up a new bike.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

1200 a year what agency you going with so we know not to go their. I am with state farm and pay 74 bucks a month for 2 bikes

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by code2medic View Post
1200 a year what agency you going with so we know not to go their. I am with state farm and pay 74 bucks a month for 2 bikes
is this full coverage on sport type bikes?

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
is this full coverage on sport type bikes?
that would be about right. When I had my R1 I paid about $35/mo.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2medic View Post
That's what I was quoted with Met Life. They are not known for great rates for motorcycles. Also when I did the quote with them it was for a brand new bike, my actual bike is a 2005. Met Life takes FOREVER to get a quote though so I didn't even bother with them when I got my actual bike.

However, with Progressive I'm paying $355/yr for collision, comprehensive and 50/100/25 liability.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
dre

Oh yeah I thought of another one...

5. Since I picked my SV up off the road... The SV is easy to pick up if you drop it. Guess that's good to know for the future.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
That's what I was quoted with Met Life. They are not known for great rates for motorcycles. Also when I did the quote with them it was for a brand new bike, my actual bike is a 2005. Met Life takes FOREVER to get a quote though so I didn't even bother with them when I got my actual bike.

However, with Progressive I'm paying $355/yr for collision, comprehensive and 50/100/25 liability.

My bad thought you stated SF qouted you that

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
dre

Update:
  1. State Farm found that the kid was 100% at fault, although I never heard if he got busted for a hit and run or anything. That's the good news. For me anyway. Not so much for the kid, I guess. However...
  2. State Farm totaled the bike. The damage didn't really look that bad, but there were scratches everywhere. But they were courteous and fairly prompt in the whole matter so that's good at least. I considered trying to buy the bike back from them as a salvage but from looking at posts here it didn't seem to be worth it. I don't have much experience fixing bikes anyway so I'd hate to screw something up.
  3. They gave me a pretty fair offer for the bike. I'd certainly prefer it if that kid had slowed down a little and looked where he was going, but other than being bikeless for two or three weeks it looks like things worked out. Styles is doing fine. It certainly could have been a lot worse. Time to go bike shopping again...
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

I now have state farm and pay $500 a year on the 996.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 AM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Well, I'm sure glad to hear it (mostly) worked out for you. Good luck on the new bike search!

-Mike
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...rr_chap13.html

well damn. i think we may all have broken the law before...
I have to find my old rules of the road book. It does say you have a week before registering it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode