Time for new cell phone service....who do you like/have? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Sportbike: Trek
Years Riding: 3285 days and counting
How you found us: CLSB found me...

Send a message via AIM to Julian@MotoCARR
Time for new cell phone service....who do you like/have?

SPRINT sucks. Long story short, I wanted to lower my minute package and keep unlimited text messages/internet on all 4 lines. The next month after, I get a "courtesy call" from Sprint telling me that "I have a large this month and if I would like I can make split payments to make it easier." About 30 seconds later I am on my sprint account and that do I see? A phone bill for $1400!!! I had been charged for every text message and all the internet access for four phones over a months time. Two seconds later I'm on the phone fighting to get the charges dropped.(Spent 1hr and 2 managers to get it done) Then it happened AGAIN last month after everything was supposed to get fixed, back on the phone, only the first person I talked to took care of it and I was done in literally 3 minutes. I get another call this past Sat and what do I see........

So, yeah, 3 consecutive months where I was billed over $1k. I just wanted a simple task that Sprint can't handle over the phone or in the store.(After enough visits where I know employees by first name) It's too bad because I get great reception with my Treo 755 EVERYWHERE I go. There have been alot of issues over that past 3 years I've been with Sprint, this is just the icing on the cake.

Ok, enough ranting, what carrier/phone do you have and would you recomend it to your best friend? I have a PDA phone and won't use anything else. I use my phone for phone, text, internet, email. I love my Treo, hate the Blackberrys. That being said......................suggestions?

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-16-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Lemonhead

Sportbike: 07 r6
Years Riding: Not enough, everyday i'm learning.
How you found us: Hooker pointed me here after a BJ

Send a message via AIM to Incubi
I have AT&T w/ my Blackberry and Ocean with Helio.

And yea Sprint sucks. They screwed me also when I was 17 and I guess things haven't changed that much.

PIN: 20e2ecc7
facebook.com/sykim26
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubi View Post
I have AT&T w/ my Blackberry and Ocean with Helio.

And yea Sprint sucks. They screwed me also when I was 17 and I guess things haven't changed that much.
Too bad you were over the age of consent.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
To deal with Sprint, hop over to www.sprintusers.com, and do some searching over there. It's a tremendous site. First, there are some CSRs who are members of the forum, that ought to help clear this up. Second, go find the number for Executive Services and rip them a new asshole about this billing clusterfuck. Thirdly, if you're actually willing to give Sprint one more chance, contact Retentions directly, threaten to leave and explain why, and they will bend over BACKWARDS to keep you.

Sprint does suck, but IF you know how to leverage their system, it can work to your advantage as well. Good luck.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

I have an iPhone with [email protected] Been happy with the phone and cell coverage. I live in Romeoville, work mostly in Melrose Park.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:43 PM
yes, nerds ride too

Sportbike: 01 CBR600F4i
Years Riding: potato
How you found us: cougar8000

Been using Verizon forever, never had a problem great coverage. But I've never used moble internet, and I have a messanging package of like 500 total sent/recieved a month.

I don't use the phone much though.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Sportbike: 2008 CBR 1000RR and 2010 Victory Jackpot premium
Years Riding: One could say, I've been around the block a few times....
How you found us: Through the "GrapeVine"

US cellular is a GREAT carrier for the regional local cust. and has cust. serv. unmatched. Been recognized by J.D. power the last 5consecutive yrs for best overall provider in the midwest and traditionally carries the most competitively priced coverage plans to date and great family plan structures. Company is also making some major changes this month that should make some noise in the Wireless industry. Good luck in your decision

P.S. SPRINT IS TERRIBLE! In so many ways.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Yeah, I had a feeling days like this would come. For the past 2 years I always had friend of a friend who would always hook me up, but since he left, it's been all down hill from there. In all reality, the only way I would stay with Sprint would be if they would give me a SIGNIFICANT discount on my already huge cell phone bill. It's just a PITA to deal with.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Whats a "Discount" gonna do if you have to keep dealing with BS month in and month out Ughhhh I've heard some horror stories from Sprint customers. I'm in wireless and I find it entertaining. Hey sprint keep jackin peoples stuff up cuz it just means more business for me But it does SUCK ABOUT YOUR BILL!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Beer Bong Queen

Sportbike: Want one
Years Riding: ~
How you found us: My Bestie.. Evil Twin!

Send a message via AIM to Shug
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCold81 View Post
Whats a "Discount" gonna do if you have to keep dealing with BS month in and month out Ughhhh I've heard some horror stories from Sprint customers. I'm in wireless and I find it entertaining. Hey sprint keep jackin peoples stuff up cuz it just means more business for me But it does SUCK ABOUT YOUR BILL!
I was goin to say...u should be promoting business son! lol. Even though I didnt go with your carrier when i switched...sorry friend.

I have T-mobile and I havent had any problems with it...used to be in the wireless business few years back as well. Sprint/Nextel is NOTHING but CRAP!

"A girl only needs 3 things in her life...Love to make her weak, Alcohol to make her strong, and Friends to pick her up when the first two make her hit the ground" Shan-Shan
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Pow View Post
Been using Verizon forever, never had a problem great coverage. But I've never used moble internet, and I have a messanging package of like 500 total sent/recieved a month.

I don't use the phone much though.
Ditto, When i called to complain I hang up happy

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:34 PM
A to B is for Amatuers

Sportbike: 2 Wheeled Junk
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: BWA

Send a message via AIM to goof4080 Send a message via Yahoo to goof4080
when i was switching from nextel to ATT/cingular at the time, when it came time to switch my number, nextel wouldn't release it because they claimed they had a death certificate for me..........

long story short, att has worked great for me, but sucks in rinky dink small ass hick towns.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shug View Post
I was goin to say...u should be promoting business son! lol. Even though I didnt go with your carrier when i switched...sorry friend.

I have T-mobile and I havent had any problems with it...used to be in the wireless business few years back as well. Sprint/Nextel is NOTHING but CRAP!

Lol, yea how bout it, BUTTHEAD!

P.S. we gotta hang soon, I feel like it's been forever since the last time we hung out. Even though a lot of the times with the group that U/I hang out with it may be complicated at the moment BLAHHHH!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Another +1 to Sprint sucks.

After their so called "Retention" department told me how to switch phone carriers without losing my number, I gladly payed the $300 fee to get my wife and I out of our plans with them as it would result in less money going into their pockets.

I have T-Mobile now. It's ok. Reception isn't the best, but I only have Sprint to compare it to, and it'd definitely better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

I switched from sprint to AT&T a year and a half ago and have not had a problem since

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 PM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
I think part of the deciding factor in making a decision are some details on what you have now and/or what you need from your new carrier.

you mentioned 4 lines with sprint (wowzers) and unlimited text/data on all of them. Are those still necessities with the new carrier? Will you have to break contract with sprint to get out? and are you willing to pay that fee on 4 lines? And what *should* your bill be per month now without sprint messing up the charges?

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
enf

I have been around to plenty of carriers. AT&T-TMobile-US Cellular-Sprint-Cingular (now AT&T)... Never really had too many problems with any other than the usual (reception dropping sometimes, long wait for customer service, etc...). I received an email from AT&T saying theyre dropping a bunch of cash to upgrade their towers and such. Meh...

Im about to switch over to Verizon. I have done the research and talked to users and they never really had any problems with reception or customer service. Plus they just bought AllTel, making them the largest wireless carrier in the US. I was looking at plans and they really dont nickel and dime you. Every service Ive had when I wanted more text messages per month, it was an extra $10-$20. Now its built into the plan (unlimited text/multimedia messaging). The phone selection is pretty nice as well.

I would say Verizon is the way to go.

Last edited by enf; 06-16-2008 at 06:37 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:33 PM
they call me, Mr. Green

Sportbike: 01 zx-7r
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: a little voice in my head

at&t with a blackberry. if you don't like blackberry you can get an iphone or the blackjack. been with at&t through like 3 contracts and 5 years without probs. my roommate has at&t and he calls me from all over the world, everywhere from spain to dubai, i was just chatting with him in autralia the other day. at&t FTW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Old Lady Falls Asleep with Lit Pall Mall 120 and Blaze Erupts?

I've seen it a hundred times.......
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
eeee whas up doc?

Sportbike: R6 & GSX-R 750
Years Riding: I was practicly born on 2 wheels
How you found us: Search engine

I have Verizon. They have the best network in the country; I mean everywhere, even in the little village next to the other little village in wisconsin, on that road NN........... you get my point.
Had one problem with them though; I was getting spam text messages and a $20 charge for a wierd subscription. Had to cancel all my Text Message Use for that.(don't text anyway)
My wife has T-mobile and that seems to be fine too, but it fails at the coverage compared to Verizon.

One time.... at band camp...... I shoved a trompet up YOUR ass
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen7r View Post
my roommate has at&t and he calls me from all over the world, everywhere from spain to dubai, i was just chatting with him in autralia the other day. at&t FTW!!
that's not such a factor of the carrier. any gsm phone will work fine in any other country that has gsm.

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Sportbike: 2010 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 4

Send a message via Skype™ to drozek
I dunno about you guys, but Sprint has been great so far to me. I know I heard stories about terrible customer service and best signal. Yes the customer service sucks, but there is a executive customer service number, I call if the regular customer service people cannot fix. Sprint has given me so far for my troubles, the first free incoming minute for free, for free unlimited BlackBerry service plan, which hardly ever happens. those two things equal roughly $50 bucks per month. So I am on the best plan ever $36 after taxes for 500 any time minutes nights and weekend starting at 7PM and unlimited texting and picture messaging. I love sprint!
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 PM

T-mobile/Nextel both suck. Shitty reception, dropped calls, no signal, customer service is bullshit, etc....

I heard AT&T fairs well in the cell phone game, gonna try after my contract is up with t mobile.

That is all, and good luck........
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 PM
eeee whas up doc?

Had tons of problems with AT&T, droped calls, missed calls, never again.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaker View Post
T-mobile/Nextel both suck. Shitty reception, dropped calls, no signal, customer service is bullshit, etc....
all of that depends on the area that you're in and what their coverage is. some carriers will have great signal with many antennas in your area. some may be very spotty. At my house, I haven't found a service that has any worthwhile signal. outside the house is mediocre at best. Inside the house is generally one bar, sometimes two if i'm lucky. I've had at&t, nextel and currently t-mobile. I've had people over with verizon and cingular. they all fare the same.

customer service, on the other hand, is very different between them all.

If you want to do some research on phones check out mobiledia.com. plenty of current and upcoming phone reviews as well as a pretty large forum with lots of info.

If you want to check out service areas go to cellreception.com.

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:21 PM
eeee whas up doc?

I was using the phne in Chicago, so no reason it should not work.
In the end, every phone carrier has it's problems, so tough luck

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

T-mobile FTMFW

Sprint blows chunks.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Have ATT and been with them for years now. No complaints. And on Jul. 11, I'm getting my 3G iPhone

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofyl View Post
all of that depends on the area that you're in and what their coverage is. some carriers will have great signal with many antennas in your area. some may be very spotty. At my house, I haven't found a service that has any worthwhile signal. outside the house is mediocre at best. Inside the house is generally one bar, sometimes two if i'm lucky. I've had at&t, nextel and currently t-mobile. I've had people over with verizon and cingular. they all fare the same.

customer service, on the other hand, is very different between them all.

If you want to do some research on phones check out mobiledia.com. plenty of current and upcoming phone reviews as well as a pretty large forum with lots of info.

If you want to check out service areas go to cellreception.com.

I've bought the phone in their service area and they still suck. I've traveled to different areas, they still suck. I've sat on top of a few big buildings in Chicago, they still suck. I wouldn't have tried their services if their reception areas were not included in the places I go, they still suck.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

I was managing the family plan, but the contract on 2 phones is up so I don't have to worry about canceling those, but I'm going to see if I can get the cancellation charges dropped because of the laundry list of problems the have on my account, who knows what will happen. I will be the only person on my plan this time around, no parents/GF. I think I'll check around at Verizon again. Had them 3 years ago and at me parents place in Mundelein, we could be standing outside clear skies.....1 to no bars of service.....hopefully things have changed.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Look into Pastulio's Eyes

Sportbike: YZF-R1
Years Riding: 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostnGTI02 View Post
I was managing the family plan, but the contract on 2 phones is up so I don't have to worry about canceling those, but I'm going to see if I can get the cancellation charges dropped because of the laundry list of problems the have on my account, who knows what will happen. I will be the only person on my plan this time around, no parents/GF. I think I'll check around at Verizon again. Had them 3 years ago and at me parents place in Mundelein, we could be standing outside clear skies.....1 to no bars of service.....hopefully things have changed.
Get them to switch all 4phones to the SERO program for your troubles

www.sprint.com/sero

i love my Mogul, i tether it to my lappy @ work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode