Mixed feelings... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Ciao Marco

Sportbike: 50 cc Chinese POS
Years Riding: best years of my life..
How you found us: member

Mixed feelings...

Wife got into the MSF course tonight. It's cool I will always will have someone to ride with but on the other hand, it scares the shit out of me..

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Ohhhhhhhhh welcome to where I was, 8 years ago, my wife decided she wanted to take the msf course and learn how to ride. so we sent her to class and I went out and bought her a brand new F4 (ya I'm nuts like that). she passed the class and got her license, but ended up not liking being in the front seat, so I traded it in and got a cruiser for us to ride together on, she was much happier.

regaurdless riding with her was cool, but it scarred the shit out of me as well. watching her next to me on a bike, worrying about her reactions etc was a constant worry for me and I started to hate riding or that reason.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Teach me to Ride Please

Sportbike: 2012 HD street glide, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2006 CBR F4I, 2003 Honda XR50
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: The voices in my head

Send a message via AIM to Guess Who? Send a message via MSN to Guess Who?
I was worried at first, but its something I deal with. My wife loves riding and I love that she loves riding so now I dont get yelled at for being gone all weekend.
It gets easier the more you watch them grow as a rider.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

I was thinking about this yesterday. The guy that lives in the townhome behind mine just came home with a new sportbike yesterday. He and his wife left their two little girls playing in the alleyway (alone) while they took a helmetless, gearless 20-minute "ride around the block." She was protected only by her giant white sunglasses.

All I could think of is that in an instant, those two girls could have NO parents which, all math aside, is like 1000 times worse than just having ONE parent.

I don't know....that's a tough situation. But for now, it's just the MSF....
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

FEw years ago like 5. I got my girlfriend at the time into the class and I even signed up and took it again with her at JJC. She did well. Got her a 250 Rebel, she rode that for a while and wanted to get something that would keep upwith groups rides and such. So I got her a VFR. She had a stop light tip over and never rode again only as a passenger on the Harley. She said she lost the interest and enjoyed being a passenger.

I still say good for those ladies that take the class still become well informed riders, passengers non the less. Even make them better cager drivers concerning looking out for bikes.

Hell just having her involved in your love for the sport should help the marriage or relationship... Kudos to her for taking the class..

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Ciao Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Ohhhhhhhhh welcome to where I was, 8 years ago, my wife decided she wanted to take the msf course and learn how to ride. so we sent her to class and I went out and bought her a brand new F4 (ya I'm nuts like that). she passed the class and got her license, but ended up not liking being in the front seat, so I traded it in and got a cruiser for us to ride together on, she was much happier.

regaurdless riding with her was cool, but it scarred the shit out of me as well. watching her next to me on a bike, worrying about her reactions etc was a constant worry for me and I started to hate riding or that reason.

Tony thats also the problem. I know she won't get the seat time to really know if its for her by just riding on a little course in a parking lot on a 125cc .
And I really don't want to just throw her on my 636, but how else will she learn? Fuck, I don't know.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
I was thinking about this yesterday. The guy that lives in the townhome behind mine just came home with a new sportbike yesterday. He and his wife left their two little girls playing in the alleyway (alone) while they took a helmetless, gearless 20-minute "ride around the block." She was protected only by her giant white sunglasses.

All I could think of is that in an instant, those two girls could have NO parents which, all math aside, is like 1000 times worse than just having ONE parent.

I don't know....that's a tough situation. But for now, it's just the MSF....
Hence why my wife is now not allowed to ride with me till the daughter grows up. to large a risk. the day she got pregnant, her backseat privileges were revoked.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:08 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Hence why my wife is now not allowed to ride with me till the daughter grows up. to large a risk. the day she got pregnant, her backseat privileges were revoked.
One riding at a time, that's the best plan.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Been there done that. Even after the MSF, patience and understanding on your part is the key. Spend a lot of time practicing in parking lots and riding together with little pressure on speed and more emphasis on being comfortable in traffic and staying safe. Avoid group rides for as long as you can. If she truly learns to love it you won't be sorry. I can't stress enough the importance of letting her learn at her own pace. The worrying never goes away but now you'll understand what she feels when you're out riding. Sharing the passion for riding with your wife is awesome. Good luck.

We started her on a Kawi BN125 cruiser. Basically a scooter with motorcycle controls. Light, low seat, and just enough power to get it to 60mph. You can probably pick up a used one for $1000-1500. Or just find a used Rebel or Ninja 250.

Kim makes me proud every time she makes improvements on the track because I know it will translate to a more skillful and safer street rider.

Track Junkie #79
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Brianne actually talked *me* into getting a motorcycle. We started riding when she bought herself a Ninja 250 as a graduation present and insisted I get a bike too.

Before she bought the Ninja, I tried to dissuade her with You Tube videos of left turn crashes and people hurting themselves and all sort of stupid stuff that happens to even the best of riders. But she insisted she wanted a "sport bike".

After she went through the MSF she went from being afraid of the bike to looking *very* confident. In fact, she's probably a more consistent rider than I am. But I *hated* riding with her for the first month or two...I was constantly watching her in the mirrors, I would slow or speed up to position us better on roads, and I'd always take the easiest routs rather then the more sensible routs between places. It was very stressful on me and ruined my riding experience...which I made the mistake of voicing to her once...I got bitched at for weeks for mentioning that it stresses me and I worry about her getting hit...never about her skill as a rider...I think she's a fine rider, especially on the Ninja 250.

After a while though, I realized I just can't baby her and I can't stress about it. I worry when she rides to work or go out somewhere on her own, not that her riding *With* me makes her more protected...I don't know...I guess I just can't stand the thought of losing her, and I'm reminded of the possibility every time I read another "rider killed by cager" post.

Just the other day I nearly had a heart attack...we were riding back from Safety First late Tuesday night, and I was riding a little spirited. Just going a little faster than traffic and leaning a little more through turns. We are about 1 mile from our house and I rail through this turn (all proud of myself for it being very smooth) and I check my mirrors to see how she's handling the turn (she's a bit timid leaning over the SV compared to the Ninja 250)....and she's gone...just not there! My heart jumped up to my throat and I nearly jumped the median on the SV motoard style flipping a U-Turn to go back and see where she's at, totally in fear that she got clipped by a cager and is laying in the middle of the road...I just couldn't get that image out of my mind (a good imagination isn't always a good thing).

Turns out, she went straight at the light rather then railed around the turn like I did and I panicked about nothing. So yeah, even a year later I'm still touchy about her being out there with all those unfocused cagers.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Ciao Marco

Thanks Nolan, you and Kim came to mind right away. I could only hope my wife can ride like Kim some day.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan1300 View Post
Been there done that. Even after the MSF, patience and understanding on your part is the key. Spend a lot of time practicing in parking lots and riding together with little pressure on speed and more emphasis on being comfortable in traffic and staying safe. Avoid group rides for as long as you can. If she truly learns to love it you won't be sorry. I can't stress enough the importance of letting her learn at her own pace. The worrying never goes away but now you'll understand what she feels when you're out riding. Sharing the passion for riding with your wife is awesome. Good luck.

We started her on a Kawi BN125 cruiser. Basically a scooter with motorcycle controls. Light, low seat, and just enough power to get it to 60mph. You can probably pick up a used one for $1000-1500. Or just find a used Rebel or Ninja 250.

Kim makes me proud every time she makes improvements on the track because I know it will translate to a more skillful and safer street rider.
Whenever I revisit this subject in my head, I think of you and Kim, Kim impresses the hell out of me with her riding and her attitude towards it. if I had started Marlene out on a more sensible bike she would probably be riding with me today. that F4 was just waaay too much for her at the time. she loved that little cruiser thing she was riding in class. But I was still in my squid days and didnt know any better back then, this was before CLSB even existed, it would come to fruition a few months later.

- Ronald Reagan

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

My experience was more like Tony's.

Passed the MSF..... bought her two bikes....a VTR 250 and a VLX.

She rode long / well enough to decide she prefered to be a passenger.

No ego here.... most people on the board could not keep up with us two up. My wife is an amazing passenger.

That said..... it's a growth thing for her. If you expect her to support
your desire to ride, you HAVE to support her desire to ride.

It's just fair.

Either way.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
Interesting topic, I'm still unsure if I'd want a partner that was into bikes or not. None of the girls I've dated have asked to ride with me or be taught and I haven't volunteered. For me the bike is kind of an escape, not sure I wanna be followed out lol... But seriously, I would worry a lot and feel responsible if something happened and she was doing it for me and not for herself, so unless she comes to me and convinces me she wants to ride because she wants to, i'm not saying anything. The only reason my bike even has rear pegs is because they're like extra sliders, no cowl because i'm a cheap ass. :-p
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Same here. Mine's not been on mine since 1990.

Even when we are both out in a cage together, the thought of us both being able to be taken out in one swoop is always present.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:20 AM
eeee whas up doc?

Sportbike: R6 & GSX-R 750
Years Riding: I was practicly born on 2 wheels
How you found us: Search engine

After carying my wife for about 4 years on my back, I decided to send her to MSF and get her a bike.
I constantly have to look in my mirror to see if she is behind me, and if she is allright. I usually go a bit faster in front and she takes her time; no pressure of keeping up with me.
She went down one time, at low speed, but got her on the bike and moved on so she wouldn't loose her confidence.
I think it's better to have each person with his own bike; more alert: you are not getting as tired as you would if you would carry a passenger, and if I go down, at least she doesn't go down with me.

One time.... at band camp...... I shoved a trompet up YOUR ass
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
It may scare you now, but sharing the passion and the addiction of riding is something special.

As Nolan said... the worry will never go away, but the experience is totally worth it.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:34 AM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

It really is bitter-sweet. Nothing quite like sharing your biggest passions with the one you love. Sometimes things go wrong though. Could be you. Could be her.

Do what you can to manage risk & help her develop the skills.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:21 AM

Sportbike: an invisible one
Years Riding: Wifes been riding me for years
How you found us: KeyHole

male or female the same risks apply.
90% of the time someone else is at fault of an accident
If my wife wanted to ride I would have no problem with it. ( she wouldn't even sit on my bike when it was off)
Gender has no impact on the unknown.
It's in someone else's hands once you turn the throttle.

If my calculations are correct, this will create ice... OH NO, KILLER MUSTARD GAS!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:29 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Support her decision and man up and deal with it even tho IT burns your ass.
And dont yell or get mad at her for mistake

Guide her and let her decide

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

When Mandy first started to learn to ride, I was so excited for her to be sharing something I love doing. And she looks great in leather. It will be a riot watching us go out somewhere riding. She will have the Vino, and I will have the 996. Pure comfort and ease of riding, versus pure hell and performance. And both of us will be happy, and this is what the sport is all about.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
Be very patient. The pay off is worth it.
I always tried to force her to lead so I could position myself between her and traffic. That never lasted to long, never could figure out why, I just think she liked to follow better, and didnt quite understand what I was doing while behind her.
Ill never forget the first time I got her to tripple digits on a highway... I got next to her and pointed at the speedo.... Her eyes lit up and I could see that smile thru her helmet. Priceless!

This is gonna hurt!
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Parking lot time on crappy surfaces (water, slippery blacktop, sand, gravel, cracked pavement, potholes, wheel spin {rear}, wheel push {front} etc) will give her a very good foundation for situations she *will* encounter out on the road and teach her to deal with them in a much safer (and less injurous) way. It sounds 'boring' but it trains the brain for these things so you can learn what to do when later it can mean the difference between life and death. To survive some of them, you have to go against 'instinct'...

I'd recommend anyone who hasn't done this to go find the crappiest open spaces you can and mentally go through a course over them with turns, braking, acceleration, etc.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode