Dogs have sense of morals - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Dogs have sense of morals

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...cientists.html

Interesting report on dogs. Dog Owners have known this stuff forever, but I'm glad the all knowing science community could catch up.

Quote:
Living with humans has taught dogs morals, say scientists

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 6:39 AM on 21st August 2008

Dogs are developing a sense of fair play, scientists have found

Dogs are becoming more intelligent and are even learning morals from human contact, scientists claim.

They say the fact that dogs' play rarely escalates into a fight shows the animals abide by social rules.

During one study, dogs which held up a paw were rewarded with a food treat.

When a lone dog was asked to raise its paw but received no treat, the researchers found it begged for up to 30 minutes.

But when they tested two dogs together but rewarded only one, the dog which missed out soon stopped playing the game.

Dr Friederike Range, of the University of Vienna, who led the study, said: 'Dogs show a strong aversion to inequity. I would prefer not to call it a sense of fairness, but others might.'

The first Canine Science Forum in Budapest was attended by more than 200 experts to discuss what is going on inside the mind of a dog.

Human's inclination to invest dogs with human-like states of mind isn't as unscientific as it might appear as they really do have some remarkable mental skills that allow them to thrive in their strange habitat - our world.

Domestic dogs evolved from grey wolves as recently as 10,000 years ago since when their brains have shrunk so a wolf-sized dog has a brain around 10 per cent smaller than its wild ancestor.

Dr Peter Pongracz from Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, and colleagues have produced evidence dog barks contain information that people can understand.

They found even people who have never owned a dog can recognise the emotional 'meaning' of barks produced in various situations, such as when playing, left alone and confronted by a stranger.

His team has now developed a computer program that can aggregate hundreds of barks recorded in various settings and boil them down to their basic acoustic ingredients.

They found each of the different types of bark has distinct patterns of frequency, tonality and pulsing, and that an artificial neural network can use these features to correctly identify a bark it has never encountered before.

This is further evidence that barking conveys information about a dog's mental state, reports New Scientist magazine.

They also discovered people can correctly identify aggregated barks as conveying happiness, loneliness or aggression.

'Even children from the age of six who have never had a dog recognise these patterns,' says Dr Pongracz.

Dogs are not just able to 'speak' to us - they can also understand some aspects of human communication.

At the forum in Budapest, Dr Akiko Takaoka from Kyoto University in Japan described as-yet unpublished work that examined what is going on inside a dog's mind when it hears a stranger's voice.

She played dogs a series of recordings of unfamiliar voices - both male and female - with each voice followed by a photo of a human face on a screen.

If the gender of the face did not match that of the voice, the dogs stared longer, a sign that their expectations had been violated.

Dr Takaoka said: 'This suggests dogs generate an internal visual representation of a male or female correlated with the voice.' She suggests that this ability to infer information about a person from their voice alone might help dogs communicate with people.

It is generally accepted that a few other animals, including great apes, are capable of this mind reading to some extent, but it is nevertheless a quality reserved for only the most intelligent of species.

But Dr Alexandra Horowitz from Barnard College in New York prefers the term "theory of behaviour" to describe dogs' apparent insight.

She said: 'I think there is a massive territory between a theory of mind and a theory of behaviour.'

Her own recent study illustrates the point - when dogs play together, they use appropriate signals for grabbing attention or signalling the desire to play depending on their playmate's apparent level of attention, such as whether it is facing them or side-on.

That could be interpreted as mind reading, she admits, but a simpler explanation is that dogs are reading body language and reacting in stereotyped ways.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I've always thought many animals, dogs included, are much smarter than the scientific community has given them credit.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Cool read Rob. Another interesting study just came out showing dogs ability to empathize with humans. Dogs are not able to recognize their own reflection which generally means that they shouldn't have a concept of themself. However, when the researcher would visibly yawn in front of the dogs in the experiment, most of them would respond back with a yawn as well signaling their ability to relate and empathize with another species. Seems basic enough for most dog owners but it was a pretty big development in scientific understanding of dog psychology.

the uncarved stone
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Arent pigs supposed to be just as intelligent? We eat pigs, probably because they're not as cute and bacon tastes sooooo good.

Chris
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:30 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

My dog can sense sooo many things. Like that when my foot leaves the floor, I could very well be headed for his ass.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
Arent pigs supposed to be just as intelligent? We eat pigs, probably because they're not as cute and bacon tastes sooooo good.
It would have to be one charming mutha fucking pig.

Pigs are very intelligent, but not as easily trained as a dog. Not to mention that they get big as fuck. At 300 lbs they become a hog, and are likely to one day be a big part of a tasty sammich. I don't imagine they give much of a shit about their training at that point. I've fed them before, and once they're hogs, all they care about is food. PS: Hogs will eat shit that would gag a maggot.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd rather be railing :)

Sportbike: Riding Suzukis: 04 GSX-R600, 98 DR650SE
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Gixxer.com

Send a message via AIM to Jammin Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin
Cool

Interesting read. Thanx for posting.

I've been living with a pitbull for a year now (it's my live-in tenant's dog) and it's pretty cool to see how she's been trained over this time. What's really interesting is how she can sense what we're saying just by our tone. She totally understands if we're happy, angry, tired, etc. And I like how she's learned to respond to voice commands like "Go get your ball" or "Go downstairs and lie down." And I really like how you can read what she's feeling by subtle movements of her tail and ears.

J A Y riding around the world on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)
follow at >> JamminGlobal.com | facebook | twitter | youtube

Consider a small donation to support my trip or Buy a T-shirt

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind." - Bob Marley
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Brainne and I are looking at adding a dog to the family over this winter. I haven't had a dog since I was a wee lad, and that one was retarded (literally).

I've always felt cats and dogs and probably many other animals can read body language and voice tonality, even if they can't understand the words. Science is just looking for hard proof of this, I think they've always agreed that it's there, just no solid proof on the scientific level.

Every time I think about smart dogs, I can't help but think of that one Bootskip video that was posted here (last fall?)

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
My dog can sense sooo many things. Like that when my foot leaves the floor, I could very well be headed for his ass.
Man now that was funny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode