Ideas for somewhere to have kiddie's 1st b-day? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Is this Russia?

Sportbike: Formerly a Bandit 1200S
Years Riding: Since '94
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMax1996
Ideas for somewhere to have kiddie's 1st b-day?

My wife and I are starting to plan early - our daughter is only 9 months old now and her B-day falls on the day after turkey day this year. We're thinking about throwing the party on that Saturday.

If it was summer - we'd have an outdoor BBQ since I have a decent yard - BUT our house isn't big enough to hold the 50-70 people we're going to invite.

We want her first B-day to be pretty big since my wife never had this kinda stuff growing up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a place/restaurant that could hold around 70 people and that has a decent buffet or party package?

I'm way up north and a lot of my family is from the south side burbs so we're thinking something closer to the Schaumburg area (but not limited to there). If money was no object this would be much easier... but something mid-priced/good value is what I'm looking for.

If anyone has any suggestions or even places to avoid I would appreciate it.

Proud daddy has to show off pics of his #1 girl:

Pic1

Pic2

Thanks in advance.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
whats the demographic of those attending the party, Ive got an idea but it only really fits if youve got a bunch of kids coming

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Is this Russia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
whats the demographic of those attending the party, Ive got an idea but it only really fits if youve got a bunch of kids coming
Good call - forgot about that. It'll be mostly aunt/uncles/cousins - some younger, but probably no more than a 1/2 dozen under the age of 10. So obviously I'm not looking for a place like Chuck E Cheese.

I just want something where people aren't stuck at their tables and they can easily walk around and visit... does that make sense?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

ugh, the Saturday after thanksgiving is 'post shopping' hangover and the second day into the xmas holiday shopping thing. So, I'd avoid schaumburg, and anything near woodfield.

I'd contact Golf Courses/Country Clubs with Banquet facilities. Its a slow time for them (and if its snowing out, no one is golfing).

Other than that, call up a hotel and ask for the concierge, they often have great ideas for what you need.

Good luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 AM
black magic

Sportbike: gxr600k8
Years Riding: 4yrs
How you found us: newenough.com

dude your going way overboard with this. the kid will mostlikely eat cry poop sleep (that's what mine did and some smiles here and there). age 5 is a good year to have a big party and the kid will remember it. i say keep it small and stress free.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
We did Abi's first at her god-parents house, they had a heated pool. If I were you I would call and see if any local hotel has a pool that you can rent for a few hours. Have basic food catered in, and let everyone swim. It will help get rid of the early winter blahs and everyone will have a good time. We have also had good luck renting park district party rooms, they are large enough for 75-100 people usually and are pretty open and spacious. Again simple catering, and a good cake. Dont' forget a small cake for her to dig into all by herself, strip her down to a diaper and onesie and let her go to town. Abi loved the cake, she wore more that she ate.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:02 PM

Sportbike: Working on it...
Years Riding: Hmm... let me see....
How you found us: Google

Good ideas by all!

I would also suggest a Park District facility. The South Barrington Park District is right off the 90 on Barrington Road.

You can order some food of assorted variety and set up a buffet line. There can also be a sweet table with cookies, fruit platter, etc. The small cake for her is a great idea and she'll love the photos when she's older.

Also, a few games for the kids would make if fun and interesting. It's always fun when you get the grown ups involved!

Since she probably won't remember much of it, you can buy some disposable cameras and assign some young photographers to take some candids, as well as snap a few great shots yourselves.

I've planned Julie's parties according to themes...

1st - Birthday and Baptism... so white was the color du jour.
2nd - Minnie Mouse and plenty of games
3rd - Presentation to the church... so, white again, but with hearts and rainbows as the backdrop
4th - Princess themed... all the Disney Princess stuff you can imagine... tiaras for all the girls...
5th - Sock Hop... DJ and games
6th - Fun fair... face painting, pinata, games, and crafts.
7th - Fairy theme... floral tiaras, fairy wings, etc.
8th - Ballet theme - Dance lesson at ballet studio, games, food, etc.
9th - 1st Sleepover, hair styling, make-up, and fashion show.
10th - Sleepover, arts, and crafts.

Up until her 9th birthday, she's always had a pinata and games. It went from being a big family/friend party to now we have a family dinner with immediate family and a friend party which usually consists of about 14 girls sleeping over. Either way, the budget has always been kept and it's just a matter of creativity and proper planning. BTW her Bday is in December, so it has always been indoors.

Coco Key Water Resort in Arlington Heights also has Party Packages that would probably work for you based on location. I believe you can rent one of the cabbanas and have the guests gather there for cake.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

R.I.P. Ashwin
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Is this Russia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio-nuke View Post
dude your going way overboard with this. the kid will mostlikely eat cry poop sleep (that's what mine did and some smiles here and there). age 5 is a good year to have a big party and the kid will remember it. i say keep it small and stress free.
You don't have to tell me - I don't so much want the party itself to be this Billy Madison graduation type... but we just want all of the family there (lots of people) and I don't want it to appear too cheap or anything.

The separate cake for her is a given... not to mention plenty of covering for the ground. This little girl can throw stuff pretty far..

The pool at a hotel might be a good idea - if I can find one with a pool and a decent banquet room I might be all set.

Thanks for the ideas - keep 'em coming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode