Hey Dave13... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Hey Dave13...

I'd be careful on that iphone and clsb for a while...
I bet they are going to be a bit paranoid for a while after this being confirmed.. and from the tone of everything I have read.. blamed.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/18/train.collision/
Quote:
Probe confirms train engineer's texting on the jobStory Highlights
Investigators looking into whether engineer was texting at time of fatal collision

Phone records show he sent text messages during work hours on day of crash

Engineer Robert Sanchez was among 25 people killed in Friday's crash

Investigators have determined the brakes on train he was driving were not applied

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- The Metrolink train engineer involved in last week's fatal collision near Los Angeles sent text messages from his cell phone while on the job, investigators said, although it was unclear whether he was doing so at the time of the crash.

Metrolink engineer Robert Sanchez plays with a puppy in an undated photo supplied by his friend Lillian Barber.

1 of 2 The National Transportation Safety Board is looking into claims that the engineer, 46-year-old Robert Sanchez, was sending text messages to two teenagers on Friday when his commuter train slammed into a Union Pacific freight train in Chatsworth, killing two dozen people, including himself.

Investigators subpoenaed the phone records of the engineer and determined that he "had sent and received text messages on the day of the accident, including some while he was on duty," according to an NTSB statement Wednesday.

Investigators were still trying to determine at what time the messages were sent.

The NTSB already had determined that the brakes on the Metrolink train were not applied before the collision and that stop signals at the scene were working properly, said Kitty Higgins, an NTSB member assigned to the probe. Metrolink has said its train, carrying about 220 passengers, failed to stop for a red signal. Watch expert tell what it's like to drive a train

Twenty-four bodies were found at the scene after the head-on collision during rush hour Friday in the northwest Los Angeles suburb. A 25th victim, a man in his 50s, died later at a hospital. More than 130 people were injured.

Don't Miss
Engineer in train collision led 'lonely' life
Train engineer didn't apply brakes in fatal crash
Train collision probe to examine text messages
The agency has said it also has been in contact with the two teenagers who told a local television station they were exchanging text messages with the engineer just before the crash occurred.

Metrolink forbids train operators from using cell phones or other electronic devices while on duty.

Higgins said investigators have interviewed the Metrolink train conductor who had worked with Sanchez since April. The conductor "had no issues of his time working with the engineer and on how the engineer operated the train," she said. Watch as callers to 911 describe the crash

The engineer took a two-hour nap during his midday break on the day of the collision, the conductor told investigators.

Sanchez was a subcontractor who worked for another company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Who is Dave13? - I don't know this person at all? (as he reaches for phone, contacts, delete)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

i already asked someone to change the title to just dave... no sense calling it out publicly.. as long as it's changed before it gets indexed it's all good.. not like that name points to anyone directly anyway... but.. more doubleblind.. ?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

According to our operating rules, we cannot have our phones on us in the yard. I spend a majorety of my time there. When I take a train out of the yard, we can have them on us, but turned off. When we are stopped we are allowed to use them.
Believe it or not, I never use my phone while the train is moving. Not only is it a rule violation, it is really dangerous. I almost lost my mother and father in law in a train crash about 5 years ago when an engineer was talking on his phone and operating the train. He went through a 10 mph crossover at 72 mph. Amazing no one was killed. Thanks for the heads up. I am on vacation right now, but I am sure I will hear all about this at work. And the OP was looking out for me, not trying to single me out. Thanks man.

Last edited by Dave13; 09-18-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode