Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

computer from hell driving me nuts

3K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  meangreen7r 
#1 ·
Ok so I bought a nice shiny HP Pavilion laptop about 1 year ago. I had problems with this computer from the start; power botton was crap, it was overheating, motherboard fried-sent it for repair, took 3 weeks to get it back; motherboard fried again-sent it for repair-they changed half the components inside. Now the graphics card is fried. And their customer support is like shit; I should have listened to the reviews about hp and never should have bought this piece of shit. I will never ever buy HP stuff again.
Anyway, what's you computer horror story?

#2 ·
I had a HP laptop in college. I had it for 3 years and had a 3 year extended warranty. It was in getting repairs every 6 months. during that time I had replaced

2 batteries
1 display
1 motherboard

and then one error was so bad they just gave me a new laptop instead.

#3 ·
my worst ibm/microsoft based related story????!!!!

I owned plenty of them since they 1st came out and now everything I have is apple related and coulnt be happier

#4 ·
It's this kind of stuff that makes me not want to buy a laptop. The faster these things become, the hotter the innerds will get, and they just don't cool off properly. I just don't trust them. :(

#5 ·
I don't have HP experience except with their AMD desktops, which have worked out OK for me, my mom, and the church. Bought them all (5-6 units) from Tiger Direct refurb.

My laptop is a 7 year old Sony Viao. Still works fine, but is slow as it only has a 700MHz P3 and 256M RAM. I'm looking at another Sony or a Mac if I can't get XP Pro on a new PC. I want no part of Vista yet.

#16 ·
use boot camp. it'll let you run windows and mac os x together.

only problem with my HP laptop is that the wireliss NIC went out. sent it back and it wasn't fixed but i decided to just get an adapter and not waste my time trying to send it back just to fix that. guess it's a common problem on my model line

#13 ·
My aunts best friend works for hp. So i bought an hp laptop seeing she told me if anything was to happen she could hook me up. Within 3 months of having it something gets messed up with the motherboard. This is a huge widespread problem with all hp laptops of the model i bought. Sent it in for repair 2 days before flying to phily for a vendors meeting. Before i go i picked up a brand new sony via from circuit city that has been marked down like 700 dollars, seeing i run my own company and needed a computer to atleast bookeep. Now i get my hp laptop back and the bottom right hand of the screen looks like it has a hair on it, But its realy a hairline crack. Also the laptop just kinda goes to bluescreen if i can even get it to book up.
Call tech support they want to give me 400 dollar refund for a laptop i paid over 1K for less then 3 months ago. They tell me to send it back in. I do same shit happens it still isn't working. I should have grabbed my friken ankles and took the cash. As it is now its sitting in a return box cause it is one of the most exspensive paper weights i have ever seen.

#14 ·
My HP laptop is about 5 yrs old. Its the ONLY manufactured computer in the house. Every other one I built. Other than recently its been fine with no issues other than a couple user caused. It has recently been on occassion locking up once in a blue moon.

#15 ·
I've been using an HP desktop for the last 5+ years. I had a Dell desktop before that. The only problem I had with the HP was the SCSI card took a dump on me. I threw in a IDE hard drive and no problems. It over heats and shuts off every so often, but I take the cover off and it stops overheating. I think it needs a good cleaning, but I'm too lazy. The only problem I had with the Dell was the power supply took a crap which is when I got the HP since the power supply was proprietory. Dell lasted quite a while as well. My brother has an old ass Pentium III from Compaq that is working fine as well. Even ran Vista on it for a couple of months without any problems.

#23 ·
I use a lot of programs that require a lot of processing power:
maya. 3dsmax, revit, adobe cs3, and of course AutoCAD.
I have friends that have MB pro and rin windows natively and have heating issues. Any computer will heat up, but they don't break every 3 months like HP.

#25 ·
well you can spend 1500 on a HP (or whatever) that you don't like and either have to send it in to get fixed or just deal with it and complain and start threads like this about how you hate your computer. or you can spend the money and get something good that will serve your needs and you'll be happy with for a few years.

#26 ·
honestly check out the viao's. I have been using mine for easily 10 hours a day for almost a year now. Not a single hickup, the battery is shot already from constantly being on wall power but that is pretty much given anytime you get a laptop with a fast processor, huge screen, and your running solidworks.

#31 ·
yeah the old hp stuff was great, the proffesional grade stuff like servers and awesome also. Go to best buy and check out there printers they feel like they are made out of the cheapest plastics. The common everyday standard grade pick up at big box store items they produce have gone towards looking cool and being cheap to be competitive and thus became shiny, flash, lots of blue lights and fake carbon fiber crap boxes.

#37 ·
i used to sell computers for a living. the apples are good machines and never have software issues. the problem with a mac is A) they are over priced and B) everything is proprietary so if it does break you have to go to them for service or some other professional computer service center.

when it comes to PC notebooks sony, toshiba, or fujitsu are going to be your best bet. toshiba makes a very reliable product and they have some of the best customer service around. i would take one over an hp anyday of the week. HP has just gotten their hands too much into everything these days aren't making the quality laptops that they could. i have a compaq desktop (owned by HP) and its been pretty good to me so far. i would dare to say that most computer problems come from user error, or neglect more than anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.