Anybody climb? (Alpine, Rock, Ice, Etc.) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Anybody climb? (Alpine, Rock, Ice, Etc.)

What do you guys do and where do you do it at?

I've got a buddy who got me into this, going out on my first Alpine-type climb to Long's Peak, CO. in November. I've got the physical aspect down, I work-out/train a lot, but I'm learning all the ins and outs of these sports now. Can't wait to get out there, take in the views, and summit a mountain. I love physically demanding stuff, so this should be a blast (in a not fun, uncomfortable and difficult kind of way).

Summit Post seems to be a great website with tons of good information.

Probably going to go to Vertical Endeavors in Warrenville this week or weekend to check that out (just to learn a little about all types of climbing), get used to heights a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
What do you guys do and where do you do it at?

I've got a buddy who got me into this, going out on my first Alpine-type climb to Long's Peak, CO. in November. I've got the physical aspect down, I work-out/train a lot, but I'm learning all the ins and outs of these sports now. Can't wait to get out there, take in the views, and summit a mountain. I love physically demanding stuff, so this should be a blast (in a not fun, uncomfortable and difficult kind of way).

Summit Post seems to be a great website with tons of good information.

Probably going to go to Vertical Endeavors in Warrenville this week or weekend to check that out (just to learn a little about all types of climbing), get used to heights a bit.

Chills is a big time climber and Uniball too.

Chills works at that place I think.

I know too much about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Yep, Chills is the man with that climbing. You should do a search and check out his pics of his Mt. McKinley climb. Very cool stuff

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Space Monkey

Sportbike: 1998 GSX-R750 SRAD
Years Riding: Five
How you found us: from Bek (Andy)

I climb indoors. I haven't been in a while. I heard there was a good place in Naperville.

When the pepper spray runs out, can I have your number?
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Sunny and 70

Sportbike: 2008 Tuono 1000 R
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: GSXR.com

Which route are you taking up Longs?

If you plan on doing the east face you are going to have to find a place a little bigger than V.E. to get used to the heights.

But seriously, if the person or group has any intentions of bringing a beginner climber up any of the technical routes on Long's in November, just cancel right now. That would be like taking the MSF course and then going on a CLSB demon run. The Keyhole is probably the easiest route on the mountain, but people have died on it, even in the summer. You are going to be taking a route that will vary from 12-20 miles with a full pack and in winter gear starting at at least 9,000 feet. There isn't much you are going to be able to do here between now and then to really prepare. If I were you I would really consider trying to do a weekend trip out there and do a quick day climb on a easier 14er to see what it is like. Grays and Torreys and Mount Evans are really close to Denver and you can summit and descend easily in one day.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Do you have any outdoor experience?
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

i think u should try bikram yoga to help u on those climbs
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhauditech View Post
Which route are you taking up Longs?

If you plan on doing the east face you are going to have to find a place a little bigger than V.E. to get used to the heights.

But seriously, if the person or group has any intentions of bringing a beginner climber up any of the technical routes on Long's in November, just cancel right now. That would be like taking the MSF course and then going on a CLSB demon run. The Keyhole is probably the easiest route on the mountain, but people have died on it, even in the summer. You are going to be taking a route that will vary from 12-20 miles with a full pack and in winter gear starting at at least 9,000 feet. There isn't much you are going to be able to do here between now and then to really prepare. If I were you I would really consider trying to do a weekend trip out there and do a quick day climb on a easier 14er to see what it is like. Grays and Torreys and Mount Evans are really close to Denver and you can summit and descend easily in one day.
Yup, we're taking the E. Longs Trail up to the base, then the keyhole route to the summit (hopefully). Seems like the least technical of all the routes, pretty popular in the summer with tourists. They 2 guys I'm going with have been there 3 times, and its me and another guy as rookies. We would definitely love to get a practice climb in somewhere else, however the timeframe won't allow it with work and stuff. Actually just ran section IV on the Wolf River white water kayaking with this guy. It was pretty intense. My first time doing that too. Lots of guys there were impressed we hit it up being my first time...but worked out ok.

We're pretty out-doorsey. Haven't done anything this drastic though.

We'll see how it goes. I'm excited to get out there. Like I said, I love physical demands/obstacles. And since we're such rookies, we're really focused on getting as informed as we can about the sport/routes/dangers/etc.

Last edited by PolishPete; 09-19-2008 at 09:02 PM.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:02 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Yeah see how it goes. What's the worst that can happen? Have fun and take some pictures.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Sunny and 70

Sportbike: 2008 Tuono 1000 R
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: GSXR.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
Yup, we're taking the E. Longs Trail up to the base, then the keyhole route to the summit (hopefully). Seems like the least technical of all the routes, pretty popular in the summer with tourists.
That sounds like the way to go. Since you were asking about rock climbing I wasn't sure if you were planning on doing some of the class 5 climbs. Just use the same common sense like riding and keep your ego in check. The mountain will always be there if the weather gets nasty and you can't make the summit. I hope you have a great trip, it will be a trip you won't ever forget.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhauditech View Post
That sounds like the way to go. Since you were asking about rock climbing I wasn't sure if you were planning on doing some of the class 5 climbs. Just use the same common sense like riding and keep your ego in check. The mountain will always be there if the weather gets nasty and you can't make the summit. I hope you have a great trip, it will be a trip you won't ever forget.
Thanks.

Yeah, no ego when it comes to nature. If anything comes up with weather, than we just party in Denver...no big deal. I'm a cautious guy, and I try not to take chances, especially when it could be life or death.

The pictures from the trip reports are amazing. Will definitely be taking a lot.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
Yeah see how it goes. What's the worst that can happen? Have fun and take some pictures.
Worst: Death

Check out Deep Survival

Being in life or death situations really can test you, but it's not something you want to toy around with when you are in the wilderness. Colorado mountain tops have been getting snow already, even at 8k feet the temps are getting into the 30s at night. November is going to be really cold. Good gear is expensive. Hope you have a deep pocket and really good people around you.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:40 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
i gym climb at lifetime in schaumburg. Ive got a coupld friends that have exp in outdoor cclimbing. I would highly suggest you take a class or several before you attempt this, weather on the mountain can turn very very quickly as well as there are menay situations that cna quickly lead to death in any sot of climbing. this is not something to be taken lightly. Do you have the proper gear, meaning both climbing gear as well as the outddoor gear. Go the library adn read up as much as possible about climbing there is a ton to learn.

Do you know how to belay, how to lead climb, how to affix protection, how to top rope.

Im looking for someone to cclimb with at lifttime so if anyone is interested let me know.

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
i gym climb at lifetime in schaumburg. Ive got a coupld friends that have exp in outdoor cclimbing. I would highly suggest you take a class or several before you attempt this, weather on the mountain can turn very very quickly as well as there are menay situations that cna quickly lead to death in any sot of climbing. this is not something to be taken lightly. Do you have the proper gear, meaning both climbing gear as well as the outddoor gear. Go the library adn read up as much as possible about climbing there is a ton to learn.

Do you know how to belay, how to lead climb, how to affix protection, how to top rope.

Im looking for someone to cclimb with at lifttime so if anyone is interested let me know.
I've climbed walls a few times when I was younger, but no, don't know how to belay, lead climb, affix protection, and top rope. Its not actually really needed for the route we're taking...self arrest may be the most important to learn it seems crossing the narrows if they're covered in ice/packed snow.

I definitely want to learn those techniques...even told my buddy that we need to hit-up the Lifetime here and take the lessons. The more you know all around about every aspect of a sport, the better off you are. So even if we're not top roping, doesn't hurt to know how.

Yeah, we should get together up there sometime. He'd probably be interested too.

Yup, we're going to have good gear. I'm the type of guy that goes overboard on everything, always have to have the best, most useful, etc. I never skimp. G/F hates that...but I feel its always better that way. Found some good 686 Jacket/Pants from REI I think I'll be picking up, which can double for snowboarding too. Got Petzl Crampons, Osprey backpack, Black Diamond headlamp, some trekking poles, and still have a list of stuff I need to pickup. REI has their garage sale tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to finish off my list then.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Serious inquiries only

686 on a 14er in november? You can do it, but I would have probably went overboard and purchased quality gear.
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
686 on a 14er in november? You can do it, but I would have probably went overboard and purchased quality gear.
686 not good? I'm still researching the jackets/pants for whats quality.

Seems like what I've read, some of the 3 piece jackets are great for layering.

Oh yeah, they recommended 0 degree bags, we went with -15. So hopefully we'll be warm at night. That'd be my biggest pet peeve. (being cold at night)
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Serious inquiries only

You want to protect yourself from the elements. Wind and moisture are your two number one enemies. 686 as far as I know is some poser snowboarding gear, and I grew up in Colorado snowboarding and never heard of it being excellent stuff, just "Oh yeah, this is my riding jacket".

I'd go for something gore-tex, possibly insulated. The main thing is finding something that works for your situation, and I don't know exactly what you are doing. I know my jacket I ride in isn't that great for mountaineering, sure it's good for riding, but I wouldn't go climb a mountain in it. Just my penny's worth of thoughts. I'd go North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Patagonia, REI brand is even decent. I just know that from experience when you are out in the wet, cold, and windy snow you don't want your gear to fail. The stitching, an elastic band in your hood, whatever it might be, you want it to be reliable. I wouldn't take chances.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You want to protect yourself from the elements. Wind and moisture are your two number one enemies. 686 as far as I know is some poser snowboarding gear, and I grew up in Colorado snowboarding and never heard of it being excellent stuff, just "Oh yeah, this is my riding jacket".

I'd go for something gore-tex, possibly insulated. The main thing is finding something that works for your situation, and I don't know exactly what you are doing. I know my jacket I ride in isn't that great for mountaineering, sure it's good for riding, but I wouldn't go climb a mountain in it. Just my penny's worth of thoughts. I'd go North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Patagonia, REI brand is even decent. I just know that from experience when you are out in the wet, cold, and windy snow you don't want your gear to fail. The stitching, an elastic band in your hood, whatever it might be, you want it to be reliable. I wouldn't take chances.
Thanks for the additional info. I'll look into it a bit more. I just started researching this stuff about 1.5 weeks ago (the clothing bit), so still getting everything figured out. Definitely do see that your layers must be build around wind/moisture...sweating then sitting in 10 degree weather must feel very uncomfortable.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
I am not into this that much, but check out the gear list at this site. Its for Denali, but I am sure that most of this gear is probably what you'll need: http://www.alpineascents.com/denali-g.asp
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I am not into this that much, but check out the gear list at this site. Its for Denali, but I am sure that most of this gear is probably what you'll need: http://www.alpineascents.com/denali-g.asp

Love the pictures from Denali. If all goes well with Long's Peak here, we're definitely going to do a couple more mountains this spring/summer/fall, and hopefully end up doing Denali in a year or two. Thanks for the link btw.

Now that I look at the link...I've seen the site, but, I never checked out the gear list/recommended gear, loved the slideshow though. That's what made us start reading up on it and want to do it.

Last edited by PolishPete; 09-20-2008 at 10:40 AM.
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Serious inquiries only

Every 1,000 feet you go up subtract 3 degrees Fahrenheit and add a few mph to the wind.

Who knows, it could be sunny and 60 degrees. Most likely not though.
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:33 AM
DONATING MEMBER

Quote:
Worst: Death

Check out Deep Survival

Being in life or death situations really can test you, but it's not something you want to toy around with when you are in the wilderness. Colorado mountain tops have been getting snow already, even at 8k feet the temps are getting into the 30s at night. November is going to be really cold. Good gear is expensive. Hope you have a deep pocket and really good people around you.
Oh come on don't be so dramatic. This is no movie of the week. Bring some beer up, light a fire, make paper airplanes and sit back and relax. It's like a vacation only higher up.

post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Sportbike: 600 RR
Years Riding: Training wheel hero
How you found us: google

I climb almost every weekend, when I am not riding or snowboarding in the winter, in naperville, my schedule dose not allow any trips anymore. hit me up if you want to come along.
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw1026 View Post
I climb almost every weekend, when I am not riding or snowboarding in the winter, in naperville, my schedule dose not allow any trips anymore. hit me up if you want to come along.
Thanks for the offer. Where do you climb?
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:28 PM

Sportbike: 600 RR
Years Riding: Training wheel hero
How you found us: google

usually v.E. or climb on. The guys are right, I have climbed in CO several time and backpacked the continental divide twice. Weather on the mountain changes fast. Get good gear and climb with people who have more experience. Often times experience is what saves your ass.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Space Monkey

Sportbike: 1998 GSX-R750 SRAD
Years Riding: Five
How you found us: from Bek (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post

Count me in. I've been meaning to get back into it for a while now.

When the pepper spray runs out, can I have your number?
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
Oh come on don't be so dramatic. This is no movie of the week. Bring some beer up, light a fire, make paper airplanes and sit back and relax. It's like a vacation only higher up.
Ya know what? You're right! Just pack a day pack, take the frisbee. What was I thinking being so dramatic?
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 06:16 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Quote:
Ya know what? You're right! Just pack a day pack, take the frisbee. What was I thinking being so dramatic?
If I did it I would take up a generator and XBox to pass time too. Plus if you bring a snowboard you can just coast down. How easy is that?

post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:18 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
www.gearexpress.com is another good place to get stuff after you know what youre getting.

I was In Co. last yeat around mid august on the bikes. rope to the top of rocky mtn state park. i thin elevation was in the 6k range i cant rememger the exact number though. the weather when we were up there went from breesy sunny and in the 70s to about windy wet and around 45-50 in about 20 mins as a storm front rolled through. we were on a well traeled road, with people going up adn down constantly, and probable a walk that would take 3-4 hoursw to get down to the base level if we had to leave the bike, adn even being in that relative safety it was uncomfortable as hell having been cauht totally unprepared for teh weather change. we ended up waiting out the front to pass in the lodge thing that was at the top before we left cause the group of us(4) were a bit wet adn freezing cold, bad enough to make ridign with any level of focus/ concentraion practically impossible.

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:47 PM

seriously, how has Chills still not posted in here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode