Dumb A$$ Dad - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Sold the D650 and now sportin an 04 R1
Years Riding: Miles or years? I got em both under my belt...
How you found us: Member

Dumb A$$ Dad

So my wife and I are on our way home from the store and we stop for gas. What do we find at the gas station? How about a loving and caring dad who decided to take his daughter for a ride on his HD. Oh- did I mention that his daughter was no older than 7, wearing a short sleeved shirt, and a pair of capris? No helmet, no jacket, no gear. As they pulled away, she put on her pink sunglasses and rode away. Does this retard have no common sense? Who the f**k takes a kid that young on a ride w/o any gear? If they go down, that girl is as good as dead! This guy is an irresponsible father and rider. Sorry for the rant, but this sh!t pi$$es me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

I'm with you .The thing this fella has missed is a good crash himself .
If his girl got hurt he would never forgive himself ,but you can't tell people this little bit of common sence they're still to smart .

It's a shame but he'll have to learn the hard way.

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:37 PM

Sportbike: 1997 TL1000S
Years Riding: Most of my life!
How you found us: EDS_TLS from TLZone

Decided I have more to say -- after talking with a friend, we agree that we're all for self elimination, my stance is that it's closer to child endangerment if you ask me, but my friend says that if dad is that stupid daughter can't be too far off.. *shrug* i'm gonna get flamed for that one I'm sure, not my words though =D

Anyways, if you want to ride in shorts/tshirt and no lid, at least put me down for getting what's left of your bike....
*ducking*
but if you have someone ride with you, for cryin out loud, have them gear up... nobody rides two up with me without at LEAST, real shoes, jeans, leather jacket and a lid... granted I occasionally been seen without a lid, but you won't see me on any major road, going more than 25mph or farther than a mile like that. it's usually when I'm taking a bike around the block to warm it up for an oil change or something like that.

Last edited by merlin72875; 09-22-2008 at 09:44 PM.
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

that shit is totally unsafe now
but when I was a little kid of 5 or 6.. and my little sister was 2 or 3..
going for rides around the neighborhood, me on the back.. little sister on the tank was a blast...

I remember he had a cb900.. but before that he had.. i think a 600 or something suzuki.. i'll have to ask him...

the 70s were way more fun now.. i miss being invincible
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 PM
...only for the seriously

Sportbike: Triumph Speed Triple....and more
Years Riding: <100
How you found us: web

Agree DUMB!!
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 PM
im the greek guy

Sportbike: Currently taking a break
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: the monkey made me do it

Send a message via AIM to Pete The Greek
stoopit

sometimes you need to run before you can walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
CLSB, where you find the truth about fat girls and blow jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
When I got mine it died quickly from playing with it all day, after a while I can make it last the whole day.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 PM

Sportbike: Slow
How you found us: a real person

Isn't it the law if you are a passenger or rider under 18 you have to wear a helmet?

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrection View Post
I'm with you .The thing this fella has missed is a good crash himself .
If his girl got hurt he would never forgive himself ,but you can't tell people this little bit of common sence they're still to smart .

It's a shame but he'll have to learn the hard way.
I'm going to have to call BS on the bolded part.. If it were true she would not have been where she was. Of course, it also wouldn't be his fault either (in his mind).

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

if its not it should be..
i made my somewhat tongue in cheek comment.. but being a soon to be father.. I know I would be scared as hell to take my kid out there on a bike on the road.. maybe protected or not...

I actually sat stuck in traffic on the way home today thinking about the whole bikes and kids thing...
I really want my kid to ride.. but.. I am not sure about on the street.. I am not sure if it makes me a bad father not to want my kid to ride on the street.. perhaps track only... I'd take that over the street any day... I bet TZ250's and Aprilia RS-250s will be collector items by then
but then you read those threads (we had 2 this summer) about little ones losing their lives.. shit.. i hope i am not becoming paranoid like my father.. we all turn into our parents.. dont we?

The story about riding on my dads bike was true..
but its funny how different times are... I used to stand up in between my parents on the bench seat in the car.. ride in the bed of a pickup truck.. or lay in the back of a hatchback... Now my sister has a heart attack if you back to the end of the driveway without my nephew strapped into his car seat... I wonder what it will be like in 3 years.. 5 years.. 20 years

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 09-22-2008 at 10:29 PM.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Isn't it the law if you are a passenger or rider under 18 you have to wear a helmet?
In Indiana it is, IL does not require a helmet evar.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=il
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 PM
im the greek guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downforce137 View Post
In Indiana it is, IL does not require a helmet evar.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=il
they should make it the law to make helmets mandatory, it would help save many lives IMO

Quote:
Quote:
When I got mine it died quickly from playing with it all day, after a while I can make it last the whole day.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
if its not it should be..
i made my somewhat tongue in cheek comment.. but being a soon to be father.. I know I would be scared as hell to take my kid out there on a bike on the road.. maybe protected or not...

I actually sat stuck in traffic on the way home today thinking about the whole bikes and kids thing...
I really want my kid to ride.. but.. I am not sure about on the street.. I am not sure if it makes me a bad father not to want my kid to ride on the street.. perhaps track only... I'd take that over the street any day... I bet TZ250's and Aprilia RS-250s will be collector items by then
but then you read those threads (we had 2 this summer) about little ones losing their lives.. shit.. i hope i am not becoming paranoid like my father.. we all turn into our parents.. dont we?

but its funny how different times are... I used to stand up in between my parents on the bench seat in the car.. ride in the bed of a pickup truck.. or lay in the back of a hatchback... Now my sister has a heart attack if you back to the end of the driveway without my nephew strapped into his car seat... I wonder what it will be like in 3 years.. 5 years.. 20 years
You are becoming the paranoid parent. The funny part is that I remember the no seat-belt standing on the front seat days. Hell... I remember being 10 and my dad letting me steer the car. It happens to everyone at some point or another. I'm not sure I would let my kids ride without gear (a) saying I ever have them, and b) knowing I enjoy the quick blast from time to time with sunglasses on. Kind of hypocritical, but in their best interest

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Greek View Post
they should make it the law to make helmets mandatory, it would help save many lives IMO
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Guns prevent pollution

Sportbike: 1996 YZF-600, 2006 Huffy
Years Riding: May '08 - Oct '12
How you found us: smartrider

Quote:
Although yes, it would save many lives, I do not believe that it's the government's right to tell me I have to wear one. And yes, I feel the same way about seat belts.
Although I agree that everyone SHOULD wear a seat belt, and SHOULD wear a helmet and proper gear, why should the government TELL me I HAVE to.
I'm sorry, but if I want to be a dumb ass and ride with only sunglasses, or drive without a seat belt, that should be my right to choose.

However, I believe that they should slam you for drunk driving/ riding. The difference being that if I crash with out a seat belt, it's my life on the line, if I crash cause I'm drunk, more than likely I'll walk away and the other family I hit won't.

- Will

"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Our life is a non-stop ride to our death.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Guns prevent pollution

Quote:
I remember being a kid, my parents had an old Jeep Wagoner. As we would drive around I would be jumping all over in the back of that thing, flipping over seats, "surfing" in the back and no one thought different.
Yeah, I'm a little scared of how we're all going to be in 10yrs.

But on a side note, congrats on being a father soon. My best friend just became a dad and all he talks about is his new daughter.

- Will

Quote:
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces View Post
You are becoming the paranoid parent. The funny part is that I remember the no seat-belt standing on the front seat days. Hell... I remember being 10 and my dad letting me steer the car. It happens to everyone at some point or another. I'm not sure I would let my kids ride without gear (a) saying I ever have them, and b) knowing I enjoy the quick blast from time to time with sunglasses on. Kind of hypocritical, but in their best interest
+1
and I am not even the parent yet... but .. any day now (fingers crossed)
I remember doing the same (in a bad ass 76 cutlass... sweet..)
I would require gear.. I think .. no... I know I would support trail and dirt (I didnt get my start there.. but I always wish'd I had)..
I would support the track I think...

and I too enjoy the occasional glasses only ride.. Even if it is only to the store down the street..

I support helmets and will tell people to wear them till I am blue in the face.. but every once in a while.. I will ride without one myself.. but I try to keep it local or little blitzes... I used to ride 50/50.. now it's more 95/5 with the helmet

I understand the disgust.. I think people sometimes feel they are above the laws of physics on harleys and cruisers.. We on sportbikes are always paranoid we will go down or get hit.. I think they have the opposite state of mind
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil9 View Post
But on a side note, congrats on being a father soon. My best friend just became a dad and all he talks about is his new daughter.
Thanks!
Hopefully mine will be a boy, that or I am raising her as a lesbian.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Although yes, it would save many lives, I do not believe that it's the government's right to tell me I have to wear one. And yes, I feel the same way about seat belts.
Although I agree that everyone SHOULD wear a seat belt, and SHOULD wear a helmet and proper gear, why should the government TELL me I HAVE to.
I'm sorry, but if I want to be a dumb ass and ride with only sunglasses, or drive without a seat belt, that should be my right to choose.

However, I believe that they should slam you for drunk driving/ riding. The difference being that if I crash with out a seat belt, it's my life on the line, if I crash cause I'm drunk, more than likely I'll walk away and the other family I hit won't.
And if a rock smacks someone in the head (without a helmet) while on the road and they veer into my wife's van causing her to attempt to avoid them and subsequently ends up hitting/injuring someone else.. well, you get the idea... Should I should instruct her to hold the line if they are not wearing a helmet? I mean, that way it keeps the injury only upon the one that decided not to wear one, does it not?

Everyone Exaggerates

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Guns prevent pollution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
And if a rock smacks someone in the head (without a helmet) while on the road and they veer into my wife's van causing her to attempt to avoid them and subsequently ends up hitting/injuring someone else.. well, you get the idea... Should I should instruct her to hold the line if they are not wearing a helmet? I mean, that way it keeps the injury only upon the one that decided not to wear one, does it not?
Touche. I don't have an argument for that.

- Will

Quote:
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
slippery slope that one is...
If we are going to go that far out.. We might as well take that next tiny step.. Outlaw them unsafe motorcycles.. If the other person was in a car they would merely have a small rock chip in their windsheild and not veer at all.

Let's be honest.. We are a bigger danger to ourselves on a motorcycle than we are to anyone else... In a car.. It's the polar opposite.
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Guns prevent pollution

Or they could raise taxes to pay for more street cleaners, and then lower the speed limits to increase reaction times.

- Will

Quote:
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 PM
im the greek guy

Quote:

true true

Quote:
Quote:
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
+1
and I am not even the parent yet... but .. any day now (fingers crossed)
I remember doing the same (in a bad ass 76 cutlass... sweet..)
I would require gear.. I think .. no... I know I would support trail and dirt (I didnt get my start there.. but I always wish'd I had)..
I would support the track I think...

and I too enjoy the occasional glasses only ride.. Even if it is only to the store down the street..

I support helmets and will tell people to wear them till I am blue in the face.. but every once in a while.. I will ride without one myself.. but I try to keep it local or little blitzes... I used to ride 50/50.. now it's more 95/5 with the helmet

I understand the disgust.. I think people sometimes feel they are above the laws of physics on harleys and cruisers.. We on sportbikes are always paranoid we will go down or get hit.. I think they have the opposite state of mind
I wear one 99% of the time just because things happen too quickly on a sportbike, but for the short (around town) trips when it's hot out.

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 PM
ummm.....yea

Sportbike: 06 graphite Daytona 675
Years Riding: since July 2008
How you found us: through a link

Send a message via AIM to wizard8873
Quote:
I'm going to have to call BS on the bolded part.. If it were true she would not have been where she was. Of course, it also wouldn't be his fault either (in his mind).
people don't think about the bad part. no one wants to think of themselves going down but when they do, they start to look back and wish they had done things differently. if/when i have kids and if i'm still riding, i probably won't take them out on the bike further than around the block.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post
people don't think about the bad part. no one wants to think of themselves going down but when they do, they start to look back and wish they had done things differently. if/when i have kids and if i'm still riding, i probably won't take them out on the bike further than around the block.
I know for a fact, even with kids, the addiction and the passion for riding will not let me quit. You may ride slower or safer, but I can't see giving up riding.

post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
slippery slope that one is...
If we are going to go that far out.. We might as well take that next tiny step.. Outlaw them unsafe motorcycles.. If the other person was in a car they would merely have a small rock chip in their windsheild and not veer at all.

Let's be honest.. We are a bigger danger to ourselves on a motorcycle than we are to anyone else... In a car.. It's the polar opposite.
Smack a rock on a helmet.. no big deal.. problem solved. The bike is not the problem, the rock is not the problem, the lack of head/face protection is.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
im the greek guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post
+1 on this, after my accident, i dont really think i could risk someones life that i cared about on a motorcycle (especially without gear) i just ride solo from here on out

Quote:
Quote:
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
+1 on this, after my accident, i dont really think i could risk someones life that i cared about on a motorcycle (especially without gear) i just ride solo from here on out
If the person I'm riding with doesn't have proper gear, I give them mine.... NO questions asked.

post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Smack a rock on a helmet.. no big deal.. problem solved. The bike is not the problem, the rock is not the problem, the lack of head/face protection is.

Don't think logically.
Think like the government... Give and inch take a yard.. Take a precident and always try to move it a step forward....
Government is like business.. It's not what you make, its about making more next quarter.. if not making more.. taking more power.

I agree to wearing a helmet.. I have always had that one issue with Abate...
I think we should wear a helmet as it's more safe.. but I took issue with their belief that helmets are bad and caused more injuries than they saved...
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 PM

Sportbike: lots
How you found us: grasshopper

Quote:
I guess you've never heard of hindsight?

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode