Sorry didn't look for your PM. Greg told me to log on so I'm trying to hurry before Keira wakes up.
1. Use review sites like tripadvisor.com.
2. Decide on what type of resort you want to go to... ie: sandals, beaches, etc.
3. Do you want kids to join your guests (if so, finding accomodations there or nearby and a resort that allows them on the grounds will be a factor).
4. How much you want to spend, how "classy" (will affect your choice of food/drinks, entertainment)
5. If you two are going alone or if you will invite guests, if there will be a budget to consider for them... (ie: in Mexico, for a legal wedding ceremony, you must stay there a minimum of 4 business days to establish "residency" and if you want your friends to be witnesses, they must also do the same ... but most will provide witnesses if you do not have any ... some charge you for that though).
6. Some places charge extra for a wedding... and have ala carte things like flowers, photos, cake... some places provide ceremony/dinner, etc free for 1week stay etc
we stayed at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso hotel in Riviera Maya (about 30 minutes south of Cancun we liked it because it's less touristy, has great diving, etc) which is a 5 star hotel connected to 2, 3, and 4 star level of the same brand so we had full access privileges which made menus/entertainment wider range yet made our grounds exclusive to others.
I had originally wanted to marry in Fiji... but the requirements were outragous. Decide on the location, find out the reqs, and contact them to see if your date is available. You can do all the set up online/phone. Paperwork/ date reservation. Then do the final prep when you reach the resort (music, food, flowers, etc)...
Hope this helps! If you look at Greg's smugmug site, you'll see tons of our wedding pics all 3000+ LOL ... in case you want to use the same place we did, contact Jessica through the Iberostar website.
Best of luck, and congrats!!!