Blackhawks fire Savard - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
God of Thunder

Sportbike: 03 copper 'busa, 01 shadow sabre
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: NESBA links

Blackhawks fire Savard

The Chicago Blackhawks have named Joel Quenneville the 37th head coach in franchise history, replacing Denis Savard, who was relieved of his duties earlier on Thursday.

"This was an extremely hard day for this organization and for me personally," Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon said. "Denis is forever a part of our organization. We made a tough decision that we strongly feel is the right one as we continue to evaluate our team and create a championship caliber organization that can sustain success. Joel brings us a wealth of experience and a winning track record that will have an immediate and lasting impact."

Wow....

<---Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

ouch. just saw this online. I like savard but I guess with the expectations and a 1-2-1 record.....something was going to happen. Too early I think, most likely tallon had tired of savard a while before this.

EDIT: Isn't Scotty Bowman in this organ-i-zation.......perhaps he declined to coach again. That would have been something.

Da Bears!
Ducati

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 10-16-2008 at 02:11 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:28 PM

I really didn't see that coming. I know Quenville has loads of experience but I think the players were connected to Savard. With as young of a team as the Hawks are knowing your coach so well is imperative. He brought Kane and Toews into the league, finished only 3 (I think) points out of the playoffs last year and they were poised to do more this year. 82 games and he's out after 4!? Maybe if they're 10 games below .500 at the All-Star break but this is ridiculous.

But I've never been the GM of a pro team. Maybe Tallon knows more than I do...not likely but we'll see
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja 13 View Post
I really didn't see that coming. I know Quenville has loads of experience but I think the players were connected to Savard. With as young of a team as the Hawks are knowing your coach so well is imperative. He brought Kane and Toews into the league, finished only 3 (I think) points out of the playoffs last year and they were poised to do more this year. 82 games and he's out after 4!? Maybe if they're 10 games below .500 at the All-Star break but this is ridiculous.

But I've never been the GM of a pro team. Maybe Tallon knows more than I do...not likely but we'll see
Did you say you know more than dale talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Sportbike: Ducati 900SS
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: Interweb

I miss the old Blueline.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Did you say you know more than dale talon
well, maybe.

He's put together a good team and got things turned around in Chicago. I don't like this decision but I'm sure he knows what's going on. Just an emotional reaction.

But just so we're clear, I pretty much think I'm smarter than everyone I meet.

hopefully everyone reading this will realize the last part above was a joke
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
God of Thunder

Sportbike: 03 copper 'busa, 01 shadow sabre
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: NESBA links

From the Sun-Times website:

"Admitting that he was shocked by his firing, Savard said he "understood’’ the surprise move made by general manager Dale Tallon.

"A lot of expectations have been put on the line. They’ve made a commitment to the fans. They’re going for the best coach they feel was available,’’ Savard said. "This is no fun. What can I say?’’

The Hawks were long-time losers when Savard took over. They had 59 points in 2003-04 under head man Brian Sutter in the last season before the NHL lockout and jumped to 65 in Yawney’s only full season at the helm in 2005-06. With Savard coaching the final five months of the 2006-07 season the Hawks improved to 71 points, then made a 17-point improvement to 88 last season when they finished three points out of the playoffs.

"Of course I’m disappointed, but I’d rather look at the things I’ve done,’’ Savard said. "I’ve improved this team. I know we’ve done a lot of great things. I put our young kids in a position to succeed. I thought we were on the right track, but I know there were still things that needed to be fixed. I know I’m a hard worker. I stayed upbeat. ’’

Quenneville, 50, has a .592 winning percentage in parts of 11 seasons as an NHL head coach. Nine of his 11 teams qualified for postseason play. He coached the Blues from 1996-2004 and the Avalanche from 2005-08. His overall record as an NHL head coach is 438-283-118. The Hawks hired him as a scout in September."

<---Scott
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 04:06 PM

I think it is a good move. Set an example.

Joel will be do a good job. He was alright in Colorado. F**k Bowman.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

I don't understand why he was fired...He should have been given an option of staying in the organization as a player developement coach. His abilities in that area are obviously outstanding...maybe they let him go because he will be picked up by another team and they didn't want to hinder his opportunities.
In either case, I'm sorry to see Savvie go...he was truly the most exciting player I ever saw play the game, bar none, including Bobby Hull...He didn't have the numbers of Gretzky or Lemeiux...but he was a far more exciting player to watch...When Dennis Savard was on the ice, you knew it and couldn't take your eyes off him because he dominated the play!...AND...he deserved more loyalty from the Blackhawks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
I don't understand why he was fired...He should have been given an option of staying in the organization as a player developement coach. His abilities in that area are obviously outstanding...maybe they let him go because he will be picked up by another team and they didn't want to hinder his opportunities.
In either case, I'm sorry to see Savvie go...he was truly the most exciting player I ever saw play the game, bar none, including Bobby Hull...He didn't have the numbers of Gretzky or Lemeiux...but he was a far more exciting player to watch...When Dennis Savard was on the ice, you knew it and couldn't take your eyes off him because he dominated the play!...AND...he deserved more loyalty from the Blackhawks.
At the press conference John McDonough said Savard will be offered a position in the organization. He was fired as coach but they still want him back in another capacity which is the new Hawks way. Good news for fans.

Da Bears!
Ducati

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode