mortgage question... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
vrrooooooom!

Sportbike: 01 honda 929rr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: from a member of fireblades.org

Send a message via AIM to trey
mortgage question...

I was just ready to pay my mortage payment and noticed it went up 25 dollars a month. This is my first home so i'm not sure but is this normal? I have a 30 year fixed loan.

thanks.

<------ Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
Maybe the escrow went up? Was there an increase in insurance, or taxes?

I don't ride, I cook!

Last edited by Piercedqt78; 10-25-2008 at 02:16 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 PM

Sportbike: Ducati 900SS
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: Interweb

it is very normal for your second year for the mortgage to go up. Small chance it goes down in year three once you have your escrow reserves.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Sportbike: 2008 CBR 1000RR and 2010 Victory Jackpot premium
Years Riding: One could say, I've been around the block a few times....
How you found us: Through the "GrapeVine"

The only way a Mortgage Payment can really go up on Ammortized payments are Tax or Insurance corrections/adjustments or you are possibly on an ARM structured loan.

Tom
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 11:42 PM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Escrow adjustment most likely. If it only went up $25 you're lucky. For both of the houses I've bought, the payment jumped 80+ after the first year, but dropped a bit after the second. The companies have screwy ways of figuring the escrow, and often under-estimate the first year. That leaves you short after a year, which the mortgage company tacks onto the next year's payments.

-Mike
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

what everyone else said... probably an adjustment in your escrow to account for an increase in taxes/ins. ours was so behind b/c it was new construction i just closed our escrow and will pay it ourselves, that way no surprise increases in monthly payments.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Well my guess is that the mortgage company just got your tax bill and had to adjust upward because your lawyer low balled the tax estimate when you closed. To be fair, he was pretty close as they are usually off more than that.

In IL we pay taxes for the previous year so homes were still rising in value a year ago in some places. Your tax bill reflects that. Also it could be because whoever you bought the house from might have had a homeowners exemption which would make the tax bill they gave your lawer who estimated your payment low. You'll get that same exemption after you've been in the house for a year or so.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 AM

Sportbike: Honda VFR800 Interceptor
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Adam

Probably damn real estate taxes!

Your increase is most likely due to property taxes rising as they do most years. Try talking to your mortgage company and see if you can get the RE tax bill sent directly to YOU. That way you can 'pay yourself' the taxes and by putting a little away yourself in a savings account you get the interest too! I know its not a lot of interest, but at least you'll get it and not the greedy bank! All I needed to do was annually go in and show the PAID taxes and my bank was happy enough. They don't smile, but are satisfied really as long as the taxes are paid and no liens or penalties go on the property.

Also, have you caculated how much $100 more per month can save you in interest in just a few years? It shortens the life of the loan and drops hugely the amount of interest paid for the loan. Then again you can begin to PAY YOURSELF the interest. Its hard, but easier than double payments and saves thousands of dollars!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRidesRed View Post
Your increase is most likely due to property taxes rising as they do most years. Try talking to your mortgage company and see if you can get the RE tax bill sent directly to YOU. That way you can 'pay yourself' the taxes and by putting a little away yourself in a savings account you get the interest too! I know its not a lot of interest, but at least you'll get it and not the greedy bank! All I needed to do was annually go in and show the PAID taxes and my bank was happy enough. They don't smile, but are satisfied really as long as the taxes are paid and no liens or penalties go on the property.

Also, have you caculated how much $100 more per month can save you in interest in just a few years? It shortens the life of the loan and drops hugely the amount of interest paid for the loan. Then again you can begin to PAY YOURSELF the interest. Its hard, but easier than double payments and saves thousands of dollars!!

Lots of lenders won't do this. Technically, they own your house till its paid off in full so why should they risk you not paying the taxes on it and some fella off the street buys it up for the back taxes.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
Once you got a loan that has an escrow you can not remove escrow. banks charge 1/4 point for you not to have an escrow. It is their insurance policy that taxes are going to be paid.

Jason. Look closely at the last bill. It should explain clearly where the money are going. You can compare it to your last month bill.

You are in Boone County. Your taxes just got paid in Sept. New tax bill is not yet ready and bank has no way to know how much it will be. So, there are only 2 things that can legally raise your payment if you are locked in in a 30 yrs loan.

1. They think it will go up and they are estimating that you are short on money.
2. Your insurance might have went up a bit. Or they think it will.

If you still have questions You can either call your mortgage agent or your your loan company.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar8000 View Post
Once you got a loan that has an escrow you can not remove escrow. banks charge 1/4 point for you not to have an escrow. It is their insurance policy that taxes are going to be paid.
Spot on! It's a Safeguard for the company and yea 99% of all Lenders will Hit u 4 anywhere from .25-.50% if you were to Opt out of the Escrow's....

(Not to mention that within the last few years, If you are over a certain LTV/CLTV Usually 90%+ most lenders Fannie or Freddie will Mandate that you must have escrow's taken out monthly) This is Because High LTV/CLTV loans carry a higher default risk and Tax leans take presidence over any other if they were to go into a derogatory state.

Tom
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

Quote:
I was able to do it for some reason and our APR didn't change and payments are the same as they have been since day 1.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
I was able to do it for some reason and our APR didn't change and payments are the same as they have been since day 1.
Well its not a law or anything but the rule of thumb is that they won't let you do this, especially if you have less than 20% down.

That said, my 1st condo I didn't put anything down and they didn't require an escrow. This was with Harris bank but my aunt was a broker and knew the branch VP in Palatine. Harris underwrote the loan themselves.

I'd say that was a special scenario.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:04 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Quote:
Not always true, and refinancing is simple even in these markets with the right credit.

There is no 25bps bank penalty for holding your money until its due. For those that believe it to be true, I have a bridge to sell you at pre-construction prices.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCold81 View Post
Spot on! It's a Safeguard for the company and yea 99% of all Lenders will Hit u 4 anywhere from .25-.50% if you were to Opt out of the Escrow's....
More bad info....dont believe it. Sure they all have their internal dynamic risk parameters, but you are generalizing the industry. Stop quoting subprime lenders....shop around.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

How long should one wait to refi after purchasing?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Until it makes sense financially. Benefits > Costs

You mean from a credit report perspective Jack?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
Until it makes sense financially. Benefits > Costs

You mean from a credit report perspective Jack?
Well, I guess. I've always thought that one should wait x amount of years before they refi. I'm not too concerned about a few points coming off my credit, as my scores are in great shape.

What kind of costs are associated with a refi? When I bought, I walked out of closing up about $2000.00

The lending climate has changed dramatically since then, and I've donned my tin foil hat and pulled out of banking. I haven't had a bank account since january. I have a safe deposit box and that's it.

BTW, my escrow was short $1500 this year. I was on a pretty tight budget before, and this is not helping the cause any.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Jack...start here. Im not a mtg broker by any means, but the financial concepts still hold true...Benefits must outweigh the costs.

A simple example,
If you can lower your rate, roll the cost of refinancing into the loan, and retain the same loan type and term to maturity you are heading in the right direction.

Check this site out...
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/calc_vml/refi/refi.asp
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I worked out a deal with your mortgage company for everyone on the board. It's going to my bike fund. Rest assured it's going to a good cause.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Quote:
More bad info....dont believe it. Sure they all have their internal dynamic risk parameters, but you are generalizing the industry. Stop quoting subprime lenders....shop around.
Not bad info, Well advised info.... The majority speaks and I was a loan officer. 99% of the time company pricing matrix's will have an applicable charge of .25% or higher for escrow waiver fee.

Now whether or not the loan officer "Eats" it or you as the consumer get charged for it on your GFE, thats the question.... I for one can tell you I rarely took that hit as the loan officer

Quote:
Jack...start here. Im not a mtg broker by any means, but the financial concepts still hold true...Benefits must outweigh the costs.

A simple example,
If you can lower your rate, roll the cost of refinancing into the loan, and retain the same loan type and term to maturity you are heading in the right direction.
And I can also say that not only do I agree with you on this but it's always important as a consumer to take into consideration "NTB's" and "Recap Period"

Tom

Last edited by IceCold81; 10-29-2008 at 02:50 PM.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Im sure you are paying for it currently.

Glad I have a MB that treats me well.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Quote:
Im sure you are paying for it currently.

Glad I have a MB that treats me well.
Not by any means

But I'm glad you have a reliable MB'r in your corner..... Just know that there is A LOT that goes into the bottom line Rate/cost's built into a loan.

A GFE is as good as the MB that structures it. I got out of the business because it is one of the most cut throat/predatory markets of our economy........ IE: The largest reason for all of what we are paying for RITE THIS MOMENT "A Reactive/procrastinating Economy"

If the government stepped in Long Before now to regulate all the predatory lending that was going on over the last UMTEEN years and stopped giving LO licenses to ANYONE WHO COULD READ AND/OR WRITE we would not be at the foreclosure rates were at now and def. not even close to as volatile as things have become........ Point is I could go on and on about this but I won't..... I removed myself from an industry that wasn't worth being part of........

AND I'M GOOD!

Tom

Last edited by IceCold81; 10-29-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode