Dog behavior - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Lemonhead

Sportbike: 07 r6
Years Riding: Not enough, everyday i'm learning.
How you found us: Hooker pointed me here after a BJ

Send a message via AIM to Incubi
Dog behavior

I know alot of you guys have or had dogs and know first hand experience, so I decided to ask here until I can find a dog trainer.
I'm taking a dog of someone hands and I've been around the dog ever since he was taken in. Well now the dog is being let go, but I want to take it in because I don't want it to sit at the shelter like a statistic. The dog has a behavior problem if this is what it's called.
The dog is chewing and ripping apart items in the house and digging through the plants. I don't blame him because it's natural behavior. However, they gotten it alot of chew toys and bones and even used the sour spray to keep it from digging through plants in the house etc... but nothing has worked. Is there something I can try with him to correct/fix it? Or is it a lost cause? I'm willing to take it to a trainer if that's the only hope (depending on the cost), but I don't want it to go to a shelter (if I can avoid it). Suggestions would be helpful.

It's a Yorkipoo

Thanks

PIN: 20e2ecc7
facebook.com/sykim26

Last edited by Incubi; 10-24-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:31 PM

Sportbike: dreaming
Years Riding: o
How you found us: google

it sounds like he has seperation anxiety or is doing these behaviors out of boredom (What is the breeds or if its a mut mix of breeds)... first hand I know that training a dog gives you a completly different dog (for the good!)... if you are just planning on taking it to a trainer and giving it to them and having them train you dog that is bad. you need to activly play a roll in the training so they know you are the boss and they are not.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:32 PM

it says your from grayslake... topps is the place to go for dog training!!!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstang64 View Post
TOPPS charge a arm and a leg, I can't afford their 2g training prices.

facebook.com/sykim26
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:35 PM

very true but you will see results guranteed... i know a couple trainers there and they are the best around
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Topps is expensive, I put rusty through a week of school at a closer bond in Palatine. the results were absolutely amazing. it's still gonna cost you over a grand though. expensive yes, worth it to have a companion who is well manner and you can trust. priceless.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Liz

Sportbike: 07 R6, 07 TTR-125LE, Chevy Colorado
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: Asschaps

does he do the destructive behavior when you are around or is just when he is left alone??? is he crate trained????
How old?
spayed/neutered??
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Got RC36?

Sportbike: x
Years Riding: x
How you found us: x

That dog has an abundance of energy that needs to be burned off.
Start with daily walks at least 1 hour in duration.
You must remain consistent to achieve the desired results.
Check out Cesar Milan, aka 'The Dog Whisperer'.

-Mike
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6_chic View Post
does he do the destructive behavior when you are around or is just when he is left alone??? is he crate trained????
How old?
spayed/neutered??
He does it when he's left alone or when someones home.
All I know is he's less then a year old maybe 8-10 months. He's also neutered and don't think he's crate trained.

facebook.com/sykim26
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrat View Post
That dog has an abundance of energy that needs to be burned off.
Start with daily walks at least 1 hour in duration.
You must remain consistent to achieve the desired results.
Check out Cesar Milan, aka 'The Dog Whisperer'.

-Mike
That's the thing he gets about an hour of excercise with her parents and I'll check out Cesar Milan, I remember seeing him on a show once. Thanks for the tip.

facebook.com/sykim26
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Liz

excercise is a wonderful tool!!! her age is also a huge plus on your side!!!
Cesar also has a website and books as well as the tv show and dvd's
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6_chic View Post
excercise is a wonderful tool!!! her age is also a huge plus on your side!!!
Cesar also has a website and books as well as the tv show and dvd's
Yea I just looked at his website, there's alot of things, just don't know which dvds to get that will help me, lol.

facebook.com/sykim26
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Liz

Just watch the shows they are having a marathon right now I think
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:49 PM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubi View Post
Yea I just looked at his website, there's alot of things, just don't know which dvds to get that will help me, lol.
go the library and borrow some of his books if you're unsure. it won't cost you anything.

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:36 PM

Sportbike: Ask my wife
Years Riding: a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubi View Post
TOPPS charge a arm and a leg, I can't afford their 2g training prices.
Sign up for their classes you don't have to just to their boarding and training program. They do 8 week classes and you will learn how to handle a dog.

Read the articles on training on this website.
http://www.leerburg.com

My Gear saved my life.

Click here for really good coffee
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 11:24 PM
The apex was where?

Sportbike: '07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: Always learning.
How you found us: A vision.

As was stated b4 it sounds exactly like separation anxiety, and maybe just lack of attention. The correction for this will take time, not money. Also as mentioned b4 exercise is key, and at that age you can run them till they basically pass out, let them sleep for an hour and do it again.

As with most ppl if you don't have 3 hours a day to exercise or play with the dog, "training the dog" is about the only other option. I quote training the dog, because in truth the owner is trained. The owner must know how to relay information to the pet so that they can understand what directions are given to them and what to do with the directions.

Disclaimer: i am not a pro dog trainer just a dog person, and base the info below on my years of handling my own dogs, both big and small.

Some simple things to remember when training a dog are:

- Be firm... not mean, A dog will respect you when you are both direct and kind to them. Always say what you mean and follow through with them. example: The dog is barking out the window at a neighbor mowing his lawn. You firmly tell the dog "no bark". If the dog continues, place them in their kennel or similar spot that you can use for a punishment, then release them after a little bit. When you first start doing this, the dog will most likely bark while alone in the kennel, i ignore it because they are just looking for more attention, eventually they figure out that barking while kenneled will not get them anything.

- Use simple vocal commands coupled with visual commands for better results. example: Say the word "down" and at the same time move your right hand and point with your index finger at the ground.

- Positive re-enforcement: Always reward the pet for accomplishing goals, and this dose not mean you need to give them milk bones every time they sit...Your praise to them and physical contact with them should be a reward ie: petting them, patting their chest ect... we all know its easier to find the bad things they do but try to find good things, like when you come home and the whole house is the way you left it in the morning, reward them, they will figure it out that they are awarded for not destroying the house.

- to some extent you need to ignore the bad behavior. this is done because the bad behavior is usually a plea for attention, and if you give them an acknowledgment of what they have done, they will want to continue to do bad things because they crave the attention regardless of how they achieve it. example: you come home and a pillow has been shredded and is all over the floor. When you come across it just leave it there, do not even acknowledge that you see it right away. Clean the mess when the pet is away from you, and may not see you cleaning it, do not punish the pet for it, as they will have little to know idea why they are punished. But, if you catch them in the act of it, immediately stop the action, and punish. ie, put them in a kennel or similar, but don't strike the animal, and try not to yell at the animal too much, I can't talk to much hear as i am known to break this rule and yell at times.

-a little note as well: Always tell a dog something you want done, NEVER ask. Somehow they can tell the difference every time

Oh and i have used Northern Illinois Dog Club for my training in the past...they may have a chapter of the club up your way, but the last time i took it (about a year ago), it was an 8 week course for about 150 bucks.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 11:29 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

IMO little dogs can be a real PIA to train. Too much pampering and not enough discipline.

It may be a yorkiepoo in stature but it sounds like a great dane ruling the house. Take the lead... be the alpha or say goodbye to your sanity as well as houseplants lol...

Whichever training progam you choose just remember that ALL family members have to be on board or it will not work.

The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character

Looking for a German Shepherd? PM me
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Rivethead Enabler

Sportbike: 98 gsxr 750
Years Riding: Long enough to remember Bubba Shobert!
How you found us: gixxer.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstang64 View Post

I haven't heard anything negative about the rehab or training programs at Topps... but avoid boarding there...

There used to be a free training club that used to meet at a forest preserve over by woodfield mall on Sundays IIRC...

Except I can't remember if it was

http://www.chicagolanddogrescue.org/...er%2008-08.pdf

or

http://www.chicagocaninerescue.org/

Also... The Anti-Cruelty Society in downtown Chicago has a behaviour problems hotline and training as well.

http://www.anticruelty.org/site/epage/36618_576.htm

Most shelters and rescue orgs would obviously try to help you figure this out than add another pup to the year's statistics.

btw...

Quote:
The dog is chewing and ripping apart items in the house and digging through the plants. I don't blame him because it's natural behavior.
It's not. Try your best to find out why he does it. You can blame his past history, environment or possibly even his breeding but it's definately not natural behavior.

p.s. Gimme a pm when his patellas start luxating!

"It's not the size of a dog in a fight... It's the size of fight in a dog..."
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Ride Me Baby!

Sportbike: '05 FJR1300, '86 Honda VFR
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: CycleForums.com

+1 to all of that below, and invest in a crate/kennel for when you are out of the house. You know he can't chew anything when they are in their house - and they fell better for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkz24 View Post
As was stated b4 it sounds exactly like separation anxiety, and maybe just lack of attention. The correction for this will take time, not money. Also as mentioned b4 exercise is key, and at that age you can run them till they basically pass out, let them sleep for an hour and do it again.

As with most ppl if you don't have 3 hours a day to exercise or play with the dog, "training the dog" is about the only other option. I quote training the dog, because in truth the owner is trained. The owner must know how to relay information to the pet so that they can understand what directions are given to them and what to do with the directions.

Disclaimer: i am not a pro dog trainer just a dog person, and base the info below on my years of handling my own dogs, both big and small.

Some simple things to remember when training a dog are:

- Be firm... not mean, A dog will respect you when you are both direct and kind to them. Always say what you mean and follow through with them. example: The dog is barking out the window at a neighbor mowing his lawn. You firmly tell the dog "no bark". If the dog continues, place them in their kennel or similar spot that you can use for a punishment, then release them after a little bit. When you first start doing this, the dog will most likely bark while alone in the kennel, i ignore it because they are just looking for more attention, eventually they figure out that barking while kenneled will not get them anything.

- Use simple vocal commands coupled with visual commands for better results. example: Say the word "down" and at the same time move your right hand and point with your index finger at the ground.

- Positive re-enforcement: Always reward the pet for accomplishing goals, and this dose not mean you need to give them milk bones every time they sit...Your praise to them and physical contact with them should be a reward ie: petting them, patting their chest ect... we all know its easier to find the bad things they do but try to find good things, like when you come home and the whole house is the way you left it in the morning, reward them, they will figure it out that they are awarded for not destroying the house.

- to some extent you need to ignore the bad behavior. this is done because the bad behavior is usually a plea for attention, and if you give them an acknowledgment of what they have done, they will want to continue to do bad things because they crave the attention regardless of how they achieve it. example: you come home and a pillow has been shredded and is all over the floor. When you come across it just leave it there, do not even acknowledge that you see it right away. Clean the mess when the pet is away from you, and may not see you cleaning it, do not punish the pet for it, as they will have little to know idea why they are punished. But, if you catch them in the act of it, immediately stop the action, and punish. ie, put them in a kennel or similar, but don't strike the animal, and try not to yell at the animal too much, I can't talk to much hear as i am known to break this rule and yell at times.

-a little note as well: Always tell a dog something you want done, NEVER ask. Somehow they can tell the difference every time

Oh and i have used Northern Illinois Dog Club for my training in the past...they may have a chapter of the club up your way, but the last time i took it (about a year ago), it was an 8 week course for about 150 bucks.

Certified MSF Rider Coach

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"The fool is the one who dares not to dream" - Me

Come see life underwater at ScubaBoard
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 PM

Sportbike: Ask my wife
Years Riding: a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhdgrl View Post
IMO little dogs can be a real PIA to train. Too much pampering and not enough discipline.

It may be a yorkiepoo in stature but it sounds like a great dane ruling the house. Take the lead... be the alpha or say goodbye to your sanity as well as houseplants lol...

Whichever training progam you choose just remember that ALL family members have to be on board or it will not work.
I'm with you give me a big dog any day. Little dogs can drive you insane.

My Gear saved my life.

Click here for really good coffee
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

some rally great advise here.

the reality is "and i gotta say it this way" its not the dog, its the owner.

you must be devoted to your dog, with the right about of alpha male discipline, exercise and know what a dog is thinking when he is about to do something wrong, or about to start doing something destructive, THE OWNER must have his eyes on him all the time to start those early years of discipline that will last his life time.

then of course your challenged from time to time in which you need to remind, whose the alpha male here!

each day, walk him or exercise the dog, if your not home and the dof is destructive, kennel them. dont let them go longer then 4-6 hours but they must be exercised before kenneling them.

when they come out, you go for a walk again.

then as long as you are in the house, keep your eyes on them, and invite to watch even help you.

they step out of line or in your case about to tear something up? you catch them right before or in the act.

dogs are in the moment, you cant show them something they did hours ago and discipline them correctly

in time they will be great. but you get what you put in with them.

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

phkz24 has it spot on! More exercise is key. The items in the post above are the exact things that you will learn in training. Training is good, but itís not about the dog learning, itís about you learning to re-direct the dogs behavior.

I suggest daily walks. Make the pooch walk beside you, donít let it lead. This will reinforce that you are boss. Also try motivating the dog with food. 1st feed the dog Ĺ their normal food. Make them work for the rest. Hide kibble around the house, so the dog has to sniff it out. Give them big rewards when they sit, stay, roll over, etc. I also use a food cube which has chambers that trap the food. The dog has to bat the cube around and let the food pieces fall out individually. It takes him 10 minutes to eat the same amount of food he can swallow in 10 seconds.

Good luck. Itís about repetition and interaction, not a magic cure. One trainer said that if a dog has been doing a bad behavior for 1 year, it could take another year to break the habit. I havenít found it that bad though.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode