Workout programs? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
Workout programs?

Okay...I'm getting back into shape and the goal is to do a mini-triatholon next June. It's a 400m swim, 18 mile bike, and a 5k run.

My problem is getting back into shape for this. My body is in relatively good shape, but cardio-wise...I'm hurting. I've started by running at least 12 min. a day (includes a cool down). Now, I've never trained for anything and it's been 11 years since I seriously hit the weights.

Do any of you have info. or suggestions on setting up a work out program? It doesn't have to be specifically for triatholon's. I'm actually looking for a lifting program and a running program. Then, I'll get into the swim and the bike.

Thanks,

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 05:18 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

heres 1 stop smoking ..lol

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Doc

I have...I don't buy cigarette's anymore

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 05:52 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
I have...I don't buy cigarette's anymore
It doesn't help if you bumb them!

Dave
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
It doesn't help if you bumb them!
Didn't think anyone would catch that :-

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 08:51 PM
Summer

Sportbike: Honda F4i
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: been around a while

Send a message via AIM to Whatsign Send a message via Yahoo to Whatsign
Well you need to work into it gradually your body will need to adjust to the stress you will be putting on it. When I started training for the tri I over worked it and was having problems sleeping and other symtoms of overtraining. So ease into it do yourself a favor. Trust me.

First get a good pair of riding shorts becasue they will go into the water, onto your saddle and be on when your running this will minimize transition time. So buy a few pair and workout in them so your used to them. I like the shorts that have a small layer of liquid for cusioning not the gel ones. The gel ones are not comfortable to run in.

My weekness is swimming you know why. Becasue I cant walk out my door and go swimming. I can easily weather perminiting run and ride just by stepping outside my door. So first develop a schedule to go to the gym and swim on a regular basis. The rest you step outside and can do on your own and since you like how the world looks on two wheels already that shold be fun for you.

Work out for a minimum of 2 hours a day for 5 or 6 days a week when you get if full swing. For 5 days a week do two events on a sixth day do a full tri after you think you can do it. I however wouldnt do the full tri more then once a month. So you have 10 hours a week to divide up among events. I would divide the time up like this 4 hours for the swim, 3 for running and riding. Im not sure where you located but if you need someone to train with you once in a while let me know. A good sunday ride on the bicycle is a good start to the day.

Also dont hit the weights the excess muscle you will put on will make you consume more calories and make the race harder to finish. Remember its not really a race about going fast its, about conserving energy so you dont bonk
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 09:34 PM

Sportbike: R6 2002
Years Riding: 1+ Years
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to ju6ganutz
sign up to this website http://www.ast-ss.com/ and follow the 12 week training course provided - its primarily for weight training and gaining mass from what i gather from reading the first week but it also does get into dieting and maybe later tell you about endurance and cardio workouts - ive been workin out for over 6 years now but mainly focusing on muscle mass and less on cardio

my thoughts on working out is do what works best for your body and only know what is best. you will only know what is best after a couple of months

-Neil
-02 R6
-02 TL Type-S
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 09:55 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

CO CAIN

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 11:12 PM

Sportbike: 99R6
Years Riding: on/off 15 years

1st tri

Hey Doc,

Give me a P.M. with your address. I will send you a bunch of triathlon training books and workout plans. I got really into them 1994-2000. The last year I did seven races including back to back half ironman's. Easily the best shape of my life and almost 45 lbs ago. Start slow, break up you sports for training add a few bricks at the end and you will be fine. The one thing to remember is to train enough so that it doesn't become a gruelethon. There is nothing worse then killing yourself for 1 , 2 or 3 or 4 hours it plane sucks. If you do the proper training take your time the first couple of races and just plan on completing them it is alot of fun. The books have recomended weight plans as well. If you get hooked which alot of people do we can chat about all kinds of things to drop your times, for now have fun and good luck.

Qanik

Last edited by qanik; 07-06-2003 at 11:15 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 12:38 AM
DennisBeck

Watch a Rocky video.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 12:45 AM
Summer

Sportbike: Honda F4i
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: been around a while

Send a message via AIM to Whatsign Send a message via Yahoo to Whatsign
the eye of the tiger
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 12:59 AM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
I was doing a program for about 5 months and I seen some real noticeable gains. I'd break it down into muscle groups. Concentrate on 1 area a day. Example 1 day for back, 1 day for arms, 1 day for legs, 1 day for chest, 1 day for shoulders and I'd do abs all those days. Don't lift for mass lift for endurance. On my chest days I'd do pyramids up to 16 reps on regular and inclined press. Start at 4 heavy, 8, lighter, 12 lighter, 16 lighter and then go back down. You won't need to lift a lot of heavy weight just do a lot of reps. I'd workout each group for about 2 hours and then either swim or do a quick blast with the big rubberband thingies.

As far as cardio try and get out and actually run instead of using a treadmill. When I first started running I'd do 2 miles mon, wednes, fri. and gradually build up to 2, 3, 2. Then 3, 3, 3, and eventually to running 5 days a week. I can't stress this enough have a GOOD pair of shoes and make sure you stretch your calves, shin splints suck! For more running help do a search on the Navy Seal Challenge. That's the running schedule I followed it'll take you all the way up to 6 miles a day. Goodluck and stay committed!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 01:02 AM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
If you want to do a little research do a search online on Pat Tillman. Any football fans will know who he is. He turned down a multi-million dollar contract to enlist in the Army. Currently he's serving with 2/75 Ranger Reg. The guy is the definition of Bad Ass. At Arizona state he did what they called Evolutionary training, look into it it's real good stuff. I heard right before he enlisted he did a 75 mile triathalon just for kicks and completed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode