Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

80's 90's clubs in Chicago...

21K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  beac83 
#1 ·
Ever go to Club Octagon, Neo, Club Naked, Lower Links, Aftermath, Strange Daze, Exit (on Wells), Clubland, Dreamerz, Gotham or Circuits?

Just taking a trip in the industrial techno time machine...

I recently moved out of Chicago across the border northwise and can't find anything even remotely similar.

#6 ·
No, but the title of this thread immediately made me miss Lounge Ax.

You're not going to find much North of the cheddar curtain. Best option for old industrial is maybe Mad Planet here Milwaukee, or Club ?, but to be honest, I haven't been there in years. There was a sort of crappy goth/industrial place in Riverwest a while back but haven't heard much about it lately...

... then again I'm a homebody that never goes out anymore.

#8 · (Edited)
I've heard of Mad Planet and Club ? but haven't ventured north yet. I do have a buddy that used to spin at Aftermath that spins in Madison...

neo used to have "Biker nights" when the entire gangway was lined with bikes...

Exit on North Ave atttracted a fair of bikes as well... actually some of my handiwork is on the bikes they use for decor.

oh and Medusa's? I remember working till 5 am then going there till 11am...

Big wooden blocks and drapes on the walls... As grimey as Smart Bar when they had sawdust on the floor.

#7 ·
Just over the border Try the Brat stop on fifty or Antioc bowl top floor.

#9 ·
The Brat Stop has a Punk/Industrial night?

I thought they a live band venue like The Thirsty Whale used to be...

Dunno... Brat Stop kinda sounds like Roscoes,Berlin or The Manhole crowd...

:D

#20 ·
How did I forget Club 950... Damn!!!

You actually used to go to the Octagon? I thought that place might actually only exist in my imagination... hardly anyone ever knows what the hell I'm talking about...

"I swear to you... It used to be on Clark 2 blocks north of Fullerton"

#19 ·
I end up at Neo far to often.
Wifes favorite place.. as it was my ex gf's... I know quite a few people there (eddie, jeff, scott.. etc...)

Circuit.. uh.. the gay/lesbian joint? Never been there.. but it's by my place.. my ex-ex gf was in one of their post cards! :)
(oh wait.. actually the card was for Vision... but the "act" happened at cirkit (or however they spell it)

Erika - (the ex-ex) is the blond strapped to the rack
Really funny story behind that

I used to like exit.. havent been there in a while.. music was more my speed than neo.. as was the old brit biker crowd.. over the "my parents are accountants/dr's/lawyers and I hate my life! I should just wrap the 330xi they bought me around a pole! sob sob" crowd at neo

#23 ·
Ever go to Club Octagon, Neo, Club Naked, Lower Links, Aftermath, Strange Daze, Exit (on Wells), Clubland, Dreamerz, Gotham or Circuits?
almost all of the above, but add photon, 950, berlin, smartbar, crash palace, medusa's on sheffield, mc greevey's, and mc gregor's to the list, too.

i'll still poke my head in neo every so often, but its played out and kinda depressing at this point.

#24 ·
Payton's America's Bar was just north of Ontario, across from where Hooters is now.

Octagon was on the east side of clark street. It wasn't very big, but it had some interesting people there...

Anyone remember the Big Nasty? (aka 'silly string' bar) I was a doorman there for a few years.... It was right across the street from Bamboo Bernies. Talk about crazy stuff!

#33 ·
yup, right by hooters.
The big nasty rocked we used to go there all the time, I remember one time I was so hammered I got my hand stuck in the door of my buddies blazer when he closed the door, I didnt even feel it. :laughing

Bambo bernies was across the street but I dont remember it too well, by the time I got there I was usually pretty wrecked.

#25 ·
oh. and this is funny: i went to see a dentist last month whose office just happened to be located in the old wax trax! building on lincoln. the inside has been gutted though, and you would never guess one of the most infamous old record stores had ever been there.

#41 ·
that's just plain sad
You actually used to go to the Octagon? I thought that place might actually only exist in my imagination... hardly anyone ever knows what the hell I'm talking about...
use to have a friend that worked there. there was a place close by that made burgers with fried eggs on top, mmm mmmm. good eats after leaving the bar

#26 ·
I used to go to Neo, Lower Links, Exit(I've only been to the Wells location), Clubland(the Vic), Dreamerz, I think I went to Octagon once

Also Avalon, Club Stodola, 950, Cairo, Shelter, and of course the Smart Bar

it's all kind of a haze though

#30 ·
There was a group that owned Exit, Union, Esoteria, and something else. They put diamond plate steel in everywhere. I think those guys had Limelight and were trying to open a place in Old Town called the Tough Club. I worked for a woman in Bucktown making jewelry and we made a shitload of anodized armbands for the opening and I think it never went past the opening night. My hands were killing me from pounding those things on a mandrel.

#31 ·
lol i'm banned from

crowbar - stepped on stage of a fashion show after it was done lame
joes - not sure why something to do with a friend
neo - locked up overnight and had to go to court
exit - many times and even carried out from up stairs by my throat and thrown out

ya that was a crazy month lol

hey lets all goto the exit next thursday for bondage night !!!

#35 ·
l

hey lets all goto the exit next thursday for bondage night !!!
I haven't been to Exit in a year almost...

and now that Joe P sold the place and it's lost it's PA license and turned into a "lounge"...

It would have to be a group outing before I go back...

Is mistress Maya still running Thursdays?

http://www.myspace.com/maya_sinstress

#43 ·
My old boyfriend, Kerry, owned Aftermath. We were there all the time in its hey-day. Was just looking online to see if there was anything about the club out there & found this site. Just found out Kerry died car accident. He just died 11-1-2017. So many memories of him & Aftermath. Wish I could find some photos somewhere. Just really sad about this news & looking for anything that might be out there to preserve his memory.

#46 ·
Ever go to Club Octagon, Neo, Club Naked, Lower Links, Aftermath, Strange Daze, Exit (on Wells), Clubland, Dreamerz, Gotham or Circuits? Just taking a trip in the industrial techno time machine... I recently moved out of Chicago across the border northwise and can't find anything even remotely similar.
I went to Strange Daze (or Strange Days?) once. Was probably 19 years old. They didn’t card too hard. Kinky place.