RIP Mitch Mitchell - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
RIP Mitch Mitchell

Quote:
Mitch Mitchell has been described as one of the three great British rock drummers of the 1960s.

According to fan forum drummerworld.com, he had "magnificent rhythmic drive" and ranks alongside legendary Cream drummer Ginger Baker and The Who's Keith Moon.

Mitchell was born in Ealing, west London, on 9 July 1947, and started off his showbiz career as a child actor.

But his love of jazz and rock music soon took over and he developed into a largely-self taught and in-demand session drummer by his late teens.

He played for a variety of bands during the early 1960s, including The Tornados, and Riot Squad, also auditioning at one point for The Who.

His big break came in 1965 after joining jazz star Georgie Fame and his outfit The Blue Flames.

After that group was disbanded a year later, Mitchell was recruited within a week to join up with the world's most electrifying guitarist, Jimi Hendrix, and bassist Noel Redding.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience held its first rehearsal on October 6, 1966, and quickly secured their place in rock and roll history thanks to their powerhouse performances.

In a recent interview with a US paper, Mitchell recalled the moment he joined the band: "I got a call from (Hendrix manager) Chas Chandler asking if I'd fancy playing with this guitarist he'd brought over from America.

"We met in this sleazy little club, and (Jimi) was this guy in a Burberry raincoat. We did some Chuck Berry and took it from there. I suppose it worked."

A week after the group was formed, the Experience played a four-day French tour supporting French rocker Johnny Hallyday.

A clutch of classic albums including Are You Experienced? and Electric Ladyland followed that featured tracks like Purple Haze, Little Wing and Hey Joe.

The group also notched up some of the famous performances of all time, including at the Monterey Pop Festival where Hendrix famously set light to his guitar, and Woodstock.

After the guitarist's death in 1970 aged just 27, Mitchell's career lacked direction but he continued to play and record with some of rock and jazz world's biggest names, including former Cream bassist Jack Bruce.

In 1992 the Jimi Hendrix Experience was inducted with Redding into the prestigious Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Redding died at 57 in 2003, leaving Mitchell the only surviving member of the legendary trio.

Before his death, he was performing with the Experience Hendrix Tour in the US with companions including guitarists Buddy Guy and Robby Krieger from The Doors.

One tribute on a fan site appeared to sum his career up: "A lot of drummers are great but there is only one Mitch Mitchell. Mitchell held it all together for Hendrix. How do you play drums like that? He's the best I ever heard! That's the way real drums should sound like!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:51 AM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

damn, that dude was a great player. I missed that tour "Experience Hendrix" I was wanting to check that out.

RIP

Drum solo 1969:

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Weird....I just bought the Monterey Pop Festival DVD yesterday and was trippin' out on his drumming. R.I.P., Mitch.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:56 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

A friend of mine bought a white Gibson Flying V back in the late 80's early 90's that had something scribbled on it....we found out *after* he had it repainted that it was Mitch Mitchell's autograph! Bah!

Jimi's early band was Jimi James and the Blue Flames. I wonder if that's the same Blue Flames mentioned in the article above.

I have lots of love and respect for those musicians that brought us so much music way ahead of it's time.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode