Playstation3 savings deal - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Playstation3 savings deal

http://playstation.innovyx.net/v?xJvqPTcEHWcnWlvnqvPn

pretty much a way of getting free games, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:55 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

That's a good deal considering you'd probably buy one of those games with a new system anyway.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Wheelie Rider

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Internet search

Damn. Wish I had seen this a month ago.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
eh, I thought that 150 card meant it was a 150 debit card (like a rebate card)..guess it's just a $150 credit card..Like that does any good

although still nice to get $100 when you get 2 movies and a game (which cost ~101.93, so basically getting the game/movies free)

hmmmmmmm....I might just do this, get my 360 fixed, and then sell it on ebay. Not sure though. I still haven't (ever) played the 360 online, so i'm not too worried about that.

- Steve
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 AM
1 piece at a time

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Ok...so has anyone had problems with their ps3's??

I'm on my 3rd xbox as of now, and i'm getting sick of having to send them back (not to mention they're cheap and now won't send you a 'coffin box', so you have to find something to pack it in yourself)

Are the games much better than for 360?...racing games comparible to forza?? I like the idea of getting a ps3 just for the fact that it has a built in blu-ray player, and we'll be getting a HD this winter/spring so it will come in handy for sure.

- Steve
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:02 AM
1 piece at a time

Oh yeah, is 80 gb the backwards compatible one??

- Steve
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:20 AM

I think Sony discontinued backwards compatablity but you might be able to find an older model 80gb on the shelves somewhere. I'm really bummed they did away with it but I can see it wasn't the most profitable aspect of the PS3 so...

I do still have a few PS2 games I'm playing but mostly they are games that are just coming out with PS3 versions and I want to play through the backstory like Red Faction.

Anyway, I'm not having problems. There is a little learning curve in minor aspects though like you have to plug your controller into your PS3 via USB when the system upgrade runs. I didn't when I 1st got started and freaked that I bricked my PS3 but eventually realized that there is a tiny reset button on the controller. Few!

Also, sometimes you have to upgrade game software before you can play a game which sucks because they take a while to download and you can't run that in the background like you can with a system download. All that's pretty minor though.

As for games, I have to say I haven't played a 360. What I gather from reading EGM, ign.com and Official PS3 Mag is that PS3 graphics are slightly better but only realizable if you go head to head.

The ports to PS3 have greatly improved since last holiday season. Last year's Orange Box was so so to PS3 but 360 I guess was a ton better especially in the load times.

Bioshock for PS3 has some framerate issues only when Big Daddies are lumbering around. Not when you are fighting them so I find that odd but since the games a 1+ year old port and Bioshock 2 is probably going multiplatform I'd say the next version will be better.

Racing games: I have DiRT which is more of an arcade racer than a simulator. The PS3 version is widely considered buy most print media superior to 360 because the framerate on 360 was choppy.

Of course we also have Gran Turismo which you can download.

Hopefully, this helps. I wan't trying to be a fanboy so those of you who are happy with your 360 and it is working fine, I'd stay where you are unless there is a gotta have game available on PS3. This is especially true because a lot of 3rd party developers are producing games for 360 and PS3 today.

BTW, I played MGS4 and it isn't that game. It's OK but short (gameplay is short but cutscenes make it a long game). I would buy it if I wanted a PS3 but it wouldn't be the reason to buy a PS3.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Unregister User

Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!

I have had the PS3 60 gig since it came out with no problems. Talking to a few people Xbox live is set up better but I have had no problems online through PS3 and its free. I have a 360 I got when it first came out and have never been online with it though. So far no problems but it has been used for a total of about 5 hours in the last year.

Nesba #74 I
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiernbeck View Post
Damn. Wish I had seen this a month ago.

I bought my 60gb version a month before the $100 price drop a year and a half ago. $600 bones. Well I don't feel that bad because the 60gb has hardware BC, Gamestop was still accepting PS2 trade ins for $100 credit, and my wife surprised me with it for father's day.

You can't argue with that logic.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:17 PM
The apex was where?

Sportbike: '07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: Always learning.
How you found us: A vision.

its not a crazy big deal but another option for the ps3 is: http://bfads.net/PlayStation-3-Packa...me-at-Best-Buy

Basicly the regular price but you get a game and a movie, if you wanted either of them, it might be worth it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 02:38 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

I have a launch 60GB PS3 and have not had a problem with it. I also have not had to plug in my controller to the USB port during an update like Chibeemer writes but maybe I should start doing it. Although the updates are getting more user friendly since some people had problems with update 2.4 or something like that.

I can't compare it to the 360 because I don't have one but for me, the PS3 has been solid.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
I have a launch 60GB PS3 and have not had a problem with it. I also have not had to plug in my controller to the USB port during an update like Chibeemer writes but maybe I should start doing it. Although the updates are getting more user friendly since some people had problems with update 2.4 or something like that.

I can't compare it to the 360 because I don't have one but for me, the PS3 has been solid.
Agreed, updates are becoming a non-issue. You can download them now in the background I think and install them later. Also, they built into the system a feature that turns off your PS3 when the download and install is complete in case you want it to run overnight.

Looks like they fixed the controller pairing problem too. I was really paniced but that was like update 1.3 or something and they've come a long way since then.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode