untitled snowmobile - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Ask my wife
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: google

untitled snowmobile

So I can buy this sled for $500 it's a 96 Polaris Indy it runs good ad I rode it last year. It's my brothers girlfriends and she just wants to be rid of it, she's sick of paying storage fees. The problem is the thing has kind of a shady past. Her exboyfriend gave it to her without changing the title from whoever he got it from. It's been a few years since shes had this thing so I don't anyone is going to lay claim to the thing but it really has no value to me if I can't get a trailpass for it. Where do I start? If I can get it legal it would be fun but I'm not going to go stand in line and do a bunch of running around for for it. Is there a simple solution?

My Gear saved my life.

Click here for really good coffee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Slava

Sportbike: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Years Riding: Since '98
How you found us: chicago russian riders

Ride at night and don't get caught. I've had one for many years and never been pulled over on it. I guess it depends where you are planning on riding it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Not positive but I dont think you need a title to get a trail pass in WI. pretty sure my father in laws old sled was a factory built race sled that did not come with a title, when he bought it. Heck you rarely see a dirt bike with a title, I cant imagine it would be much different.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 AM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

I've never bought a used sled in IL, but I've bought them in IA & WI. Both times, neither sled had a title. The current owner simply signs over the most recent registration card, which you use to get an IL registration from the IL DNR (which is super cheap). If you are concerned the sled might be stolen, you can check using the chassis VIN (sleds have a different engine VIN).

For WI or MI trail passes, you just need a D.L. & fill out a short form with name, addy, ph. #, DL#, etc.

If you have a trail pass, but no IL registration you can get written. If you ride trails, it's fairly likely. If you only ride ditches & fields the odds are pretty low that you'll even see DNR.

Not that I'm suggesting this, but most currency exchanges have the IL registration applications. A completed copy is valid for 120 days if carried on the sled. This application has no sections that are stamped or filled out by a third party
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Not that I'm suggesting this, but most currency exchanges have the IL registration applications. A completed copy is valid for 120 days if carried on the sled. This application has no sections that are stamped or filled out by a third party
If you have this, you can buy a trail pass in the state of your choice and if you get pulled over (likely at stops they will ask to see your registration) you show them that and you will be on your way.

If it's not reported stolen, chances are its worth it.

If you pick it up, are you going to come with on our CLSB snowmobile trip? you can bring the coffee, haha.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

If I can work it out I'd love to go, we'll have to see. I gotta get through the next two weeks then I'll try and make something happen. I haven't had a guy's trip in a few years.

My Gear saved my life.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy View Post
If I can work it out I'd love to go, we'll have to see. I gotta get through the next two weeks then I'll try and make something happen. I haven't had a guy's trip in a few years.
the snowmobile trip isn't a guy's trip. my wife will be there, but it's still a hell of alot of fun.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

As long as I can hot tub naked and roll in the snow, your wife won't bother me at all.

My Gear saved my life.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 PM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy View Post
As long as I can hot tub naked and roll in the snow with your wife it won't bother me at all.
fixed it for ya

I've always wanted a snowmobile, or at least try one (never have gotten too )..but it just seems like not enough snow down here to really make it worth it. If I lived in the UP/upper wisconsin that'd be a whole different story though

only $500 for a working/decent snowmobile doesnt sound bad at all, i'd jump on it! (then take the sled to the dragstrip! lol)

- Steve
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 PM

Sportbike: 07 ZX6R ss trim 08 zx6r stock
Years Riding: long enough to know i only need a 600
How you found us: chitownracing

500 to 1K is the going price for that sled now a days with a clear tittle. All my selds i have picked up for around 1K. Its time for me to replace all my sleds seeing that on is a 85 and the other a 90. Both 2 up yamaha xlv, great sleds that got me and my dad into the hobby but after replacing all the bearings last year im not looking forward to having to do that again in 5 years.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Go to the DMV and apply for a lost title or bill of sale. Just as long as the numbers don't come up hot Illinois will send you the legal paper work on the machine.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode