How is L.A.? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

How is L.A.?

So my wonderful employer wants me to go to Los Angeles, specificly West Hollywood. I have been trying to move into the SoCal area but have always had my eye on SD, I know next to nothing about LA.

What I need to know is, how is the lifestyle in LA?
Where is a good place to live, preferably near West Hollywood?
Any places to avoid?

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

DT HW SUCKS ASS! - W HW is cool - I LOVE Santa Monica - Venice is TOTALY diff then is use to be - More "cleaned up" and not as freaky as days of yor

I would have to say, if you can swing it from a $$ standpoint, Santa Monica is tits! - You can always go N too up by Studio City or Culver City

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Fly out there and spend a weekend exploring. Rent a car and drive around. It's a cool place but if you have never been there and lived in the midwest your entire life you may not like it. There is a different breed of people out there in my opinion. Some bad, some good. Just because the weather is nice most of the time doesn't mean it's a paradise. But I can tell you that the central coast in between LA and the Bay Area is fucking gorgeous. I've done a lot of work with PG&E out that way. The price of homes and property is retarded though. I was offered a job making really good money out by San Luis Obisbo but I like the midwest, my family and my friends. You move out there and you are a long long way from Chi Town.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 PM
So long San Diego :(

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Since 07/01/06
How you found us: Your Mom told me

Alot of LA is a hellhole, not like they make it seem in the movies! West Hollywood isn't bad, and as bug said, santa monica is tits if you can afford it (don't plan on finding a decent place under $1M) An area called 'westwood' is also very nice.

Brandon
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

Kids in back seats cause accidents, Accidents in Back seats cause kids.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Cali's Twisty Tamer

Sportbike: '96 CBR F3
Years Riding: since 98
How you found us: met at Strat's

We bought our cat in west Hollywood, just Noth of Universal City Hollywood, and it was very suburban like. But seriously the people, just believe the line about fruits and nuts. All in all, between me and you, I'd take Chicago over L.A. , and it's a toss-up between S.D. and Chi-town. Don't expect to find a true deep dish pizza either. BTW, we may move back to Chi-town in 2011. Not certain though.

The optimist believes that we live in the best of all possible worlds...
The pessimist fears this to be true.

<----Shane

Shane's Facebook
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 06:37 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

everytime I visit the LA area I hate it even more..maybe hate is a strong word but the people just suck as a general rule. Just plain wierdos

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
grass hopper is right about central cali...i lived out there for 2 years when i was in the service and LOVED IT...as far as L.A., i can tell you that when i was there, we would get 3 day weekends and we would spend every one of them in L.A.. we would not be far from the "whiskey"when we got hotels and shit...but its not cheap...i have not been back to cali in prolly almost 15 years...its possable some areas have changed...i have to go with the suggestion with making a FULL WEEKS trip out to there and see for yourself whats the scoop out there...and since S.D. if not too far away, i would go there too and check it out...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

My cousin lives in santa monica and loves it. LA itself is kind of a dump.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

I lived in Burbank, CA for most of a year while working on a project in the 80's, and still have friends there and am out there a few times a year for work.

You will find housing to be much more expensive there than here for what you get. State Income Tax rates are higher, too.

The areas in the basin (the ocean side of the mountains) - LA, Weho, Santa Monica, etc. tends to be either a bit run down, or very pricey and nice. West Hollywood (WeHo) is one of the centers of the "trendy" LA, so it's pricey, crowded, and busy - think like the north lakefront neighborhoods only more so. A little ways away, but still on that side are Los Feliz and Silverlake neighborhoods. Both much more quiet and IMO nicer than the bustle of WeHo. Silverlake is kind of funky trendy, like Edgewater or Rogers Park, and it's not a bad commute to WeHo from there.

On the back side of the mountains is the San Fernando Valley, where there is more of the stuff you'd expect in places like Studio City, Burbank, North Hollywood, and the other parts of "the valley". It has it's good and bad areas as well, and the commute over the hill maybe an issue depending on your work schedule (try to get flexible start/end times to avoid traffic). The valley is a bit cheaper, but gets hotter in the summer, and less rain in the winter.

Then there is the Glendale, Pasadena, and other areas to the east of WeHo. These are nicer, more upper-middle class in nature, and more expensive than say, Burbank.

Like anywhere, the farther you get away from the center of things, the more affordable it is. But commuting in LA makes driving in rush hour here seem like a cakewalk, so that may limit your choices as far as distance.

I agree with the suggestion to go out for a weekend or better yet, for some weekdays, not as a vacation, but looking at it like you would if you lived there. Try a commute. Go to the grocery store. Check out rental and other property.

Before you go, get a map of the area - maybe one of those 50 mile radius maps and study it. If you do move there, you'll need a Thomas guide in every car to find places. It's the equivalent of the Chicago Tribune 7 county atlas that's sold here.

Oh yea, while you are out there, stop by Pinks at LaBrea and Santa Monica for a chilidog. Best time for crowd watching is about 1AM on Sat or Sun morning.

Craig
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:53 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyfan View Post
BTW, we may move back to Chi-town in 2011. Not certain though.
Classic. If you knew how many times I've heard this from people who were born and raised in Norther Illinois that move away to California or Texas it would make your head spin...

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Sportbike: ??<-COMING SOON
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Some dude

Just live in Malibu!
you will find a bunch of places around the LA area they are not very far from there Studio city and Culver city are not that bad.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:18 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

I would move there in a heart beat. I loved it there when I vacationed there. Rented a bike and rode up and down every mountainside I could with my friends. Liek Bug said Venice is cleaned up. I would move to LA way before Nor Cal
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Bop your way home...

Yeah, I have been everywhere in CA, except LA, I did drive through it once on a wednesday at about 4:30 (rushhour!), it wasn't as bad as people describe. Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
I lived in Burbank, CA for most of a year while working on a project in the 80's, and still have friends there and am out there a few times a year for work.

You will find housing to be much more expensive there than here for what you get. State Income Tax rates are higher, too.

The areas in the basin (the ocean side of the mountains) - LA, Weho, Santa Monica, etc. tends to be either a bit run down, or very pricey and nice. West Hollywood (WeHo) is one of the centers of the "trendy" LA, so it's pricey, crowded, and busy - think like the north lakefront neighborhoods only more so. A little ways away, but still on that side are Los Feliz and Silverlake neighborhoods. Both much more quiet and IMO nicer than the bustle of WeHo. Silverlake is kind of funky trendy, like Edgewater or Rogers Park, and it's not a bad commute to WeHo from there.

On the back side of the mountains is the San Fernando Valley, where there is more of the stuff you'd expect in places like Studio City, Burbank, North Hollywood, and the other parts of "the valley". It has it's good and bad areas as well, and the commute over the hill maybe an issue depending on your work schedule (try to get flexible start/end times to avoid traffic). The valley is a bit cheaper, but gets hotter in the summer, and less rain in the winter.

Then there is the Glendale, Pasadena, and other areas to the east of WeHo. These are nicer, more upper-middle class in nature, and more expensive than say, Burbank.

Like anywhere, the farther you get away from the center of things, the more affordable it is. But commuting in LA makes driving in rush hour here seem like a cakewalk, so that may limit your choices as far as distance.

I agree with the suggestion to go out for a weekend or better yet, for some weekdays, not as a vacation, but looking at it like you would if you lived there. Try a commute. Go to the grocery store. Check out rental and other property.

Before you go, get a map of the area - maybe one of those 50 mile radius maps and study it. If you do move there, you'll need a Thomas guide in every car to find places. It's the equivalent of the Chicago Tribune 7 county atlas that's sold here.

Oh yea, while you are out there, stop by Pinks at LaBrea and Santa Monica for a chilidog. Best time for crowd watching is about 1AM on Sat or Sun morning.
You are right on. Personally, I really liked the Pasadena area because it really has everything you need and you don't have to drive towards LA to find entertainment, etc.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Ciao Marco

Sportbike: 50 cc Chinese POS
Years Riding: best years of my life..
How you found us: member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
I would move there in a heart beat. I loved it there when I vacationed there. Rented a bike and rode up and down every mountainside I could with my friends. Liek Bug said Venice is cleaned up. I would move to LA way before Nor Cal

A big + 1. It has to be the #1 spot for ridig in the U.S. For me that would be a major deciding factor.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Never spent enough time to make a real assessment but I hated everytime I was there. Everything is way too spread out and overpopulated. I'm going again next week to visit the GF's parents... yay.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 PM
So long San Diego :(

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Since 07/01/06
How you found us: Your Mom told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyfan View Post
We bought our cat in west Hollywood, just Noth of Universal City Hollywood, and it was very suburban like. But seriously the people, just believe the line about fruits and nuts. All in all, between me and you, I'd take Chicago over L.A. , and it's a toss-up between S.D. and Chi-town. Don't expect to find a true deep dish pizza either. BTW, we may move back to Chi-town in 2011. Not certain though.
I agree with you there...SD is way, way, way better than LA, there really is a bunch of nuts up there. Everytime I have to drive up to LA for work I laugh at the conversations I overhear and shit I see. North Orange county is all fairly nice and close enough to LA for a commute, but again, the people their live behind a fuckin curtain and have no idea whats going on in the rest of the world, and the majority are pretty snobby and stuck up.

Brandon
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

Kids in back seats cause accidents, Accidents in Back seats cause kids.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 PM
The neighbors hate me!!!

Sportbike: '03 Superhawk 996, '95 Nighthawk (wifes bike), '78 Moto Guzzi v50
Years Riding: Forever!
How you found us: C.B.

Southern California, I think sucks!!! The Bay area is great. I was stationed in
Alameda California for a while, before we shipped up to Seattle.

"To be old and wise.... You must first be young and stupid."
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
CLSB SoCal Chapter

Sportbike: 2004 Red Kawasaki ZZR 600
Years Riding: since 2004
How you found us: My hubby Shane aka "Nickyfan"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Classic. If you knew how many times I've heard this from people who were born and raised in Norther Illinois that move away to California or Texas it would make your head spin...
Besides missing deep dish pizza, we really love San Diego but our situation will change in May, 2009 and we have to see if it will work out here after that happens. Trust me, as much as I miss Chicago, more specifically my family in Chicago, there's definitely a lot more opportunities here for all of us. Just wish the housing market was a little better.

<--------Paulette
And the Wisdom to hide the bodies of those who refuse to
GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!!
"Number '69' All the Way!"
"GO NICKY HAYDEN!!!"

Paulette's Facebook
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM
CLSB SoCal Chapter

Sportbike: 2004 Red Kawasaki ZZR 600
Years Riding: since 2004
How you found us: My hubby Shane aka "Nickyfan"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto Bean View Post
I agree with you there...SD is way, way, way better than LA, there really is a bunch of nuts up there. Everytime I have to drive up to LA for work I laugh at the conversations I overhear and shit I see. North Orange county is all fairly nice and close enough to LA for a commute, but again, the people their live behind a fuckin curtain and have no idea whats going on in the rest of the world, and the majority are pretty snobby and stuck up.
The one thing I noticed about California peeps in general is not only are they oblivious and self centered but they are highly passive aggressive. My motto is if you've got something to say just say it and don't be a baby about it when someone confronts you about it. It's just so damned irritating.

<--------Paulette
And the Wisdom to hide the bodies of those who refuse to
GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!!
"Number '69' All the Way!"
"GO NICKY HAYDEN!!!"

Paulette's Facebook
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Bop your way home...

So I passed on the LA gig, not the right job for me and I doubt the money would be where it should even though we never talked about it. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode