Pwc - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
The Polish Destroyer

what type of PWC to buy?

everybody, my family is looking at getting a new jetski soon (we have a Kawi 1100 ZXI now) and i just wondered if anyone had any opinions or experience with brands other than Kawasakis, i rode a sea doo GSX once and it handled way better than our ZXI but i read that the Sea Doos all have major reliability problems, any suggestions or experiences you can share?
thanks in advance

" Look what God just did to us "

-Dr. Gonzo "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 10:49 PM

Sportbike: FZ1
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: search engine

I have the same opinion of the Sea Doos. Yamaha builds a great PWC and from those I know who have them have had no major issues. I get stuck doing the maint. on them, but I get to ride them too. Have you given any thought to the Honda Aquatrax? 4 strokes tend to live longer, not to mention the avail turbo!! Don't forget typical Honda quality. Are you looking to haul a skier/tube, need/want a 3 seater. Puttering around the chain or jumping wakes?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
The Polish Destroyer

Pwc

of course id love to get the honda turbo (owning a honda myself) but that may be slightly out of the price range, also i wondered how good the handling was on those because honda has just gotten into the industry and doesnt have the experience of the other companies,
the main use for the jetski will be jumpin wakes and the other usual tricks....... the 1100 zxi (as with other zxis ive ridden) seems to have trouble grabbing water after doing a 180 or other radical maneuver while the Sea Doo i rode literally catapulted you back up to top speed right after the same type of maneuver..... as for the yamys, i have noticed that just about every rental company i have seen uses yamys which would have to say something good about their reliability.....
again any suggestions on what everyone prefers is greatly appreciated

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
The Polish Destroyer

of course id love to get the honda turbo (owning a honda myself) but that may be slightly out of the price range, also i wondered how good the handling was on those because honda has just gotten into the industry and doesnt have the experience of the other companies,
the main use for the jetski will be jumpin wakes and the other usual tricks....... the 1100 zxi (as with other zxis ive ridden) seems to have trouble grabbing water after doing a 180 or other radical maneuver while the Sea Doo i rode literally catapulted you back up to top speed right after the same type of maneuver..... as for the yamys, i have noticed that just about every rental company i have seen uses yamys which would have to say something good about their reliability.....
again any suggestions on what everyone prefers is greatly appreciated

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
The Polish Destroyer

Gal Dang it, i keep submitting a new thread when i mean to reply to an existing one, well im an idiot, sorry everybody disregard this entire thread.......

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 07:56 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Pumpkinf44,

merging this thread with your original one. If you have questions about posting....check the faq button on top of your screen. If you still have questions shoot me or another mod a pm and we'll be happy to help

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 08:14 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

awww that's sweet
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
The Polish Destroyer

no, no......no questions on how to posts....... its just early in the morning and im not completely awake.... thanks for merging the thread

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 11:02 AM

Sportbike: FZ1
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: search engine

About Hondas hull, I can't qoute the source, read it several years ago, Honda spent somewhere about 6 years on hull design for the Aquatrax. I could be wrong, but look what Honda did with the CR450F. Took them how long to market a high performance 4 stroke dirtbike and it is a stompin' good time. Aquatrax is avail in non turbo trim also.
The Yami 1100 pulls like crazy too. Even with my large behind weighing it down. And it sure is purdy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
The Polish Destroyer

what yami 1100 do you have is the GPR?
the only other problem with the honda is the price, of course id go turbo if i got one but itd probably have to be used.....
thanks for the input

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 01:54 PM
BEARS FANATIC

Sportbike: 2004 R1
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: sportbikes.net

Re: what type of PWC to buy?

I have 2001 Yamaha GP800R and I love it. However I would recommend the new GP 1300 R with unbelievable power. My friend owes Gp1200r and sometimes I feel like that ski has way to much power.
Than again sometimes I wish I can have few more HP. Stay away from SeaDoo and Polaris. I'd say get yamaha.
BTW I'm looking to sell mine (trying to get a 19ft boat or new R-6) so if you know anybody let me know.

Quote:
Originally posted by PumpkinF44
everybody, my family is looking at getting a new jetski soon (we have a Kawi 1100 ZXI now) and i just wondered if anyone had any opinions or experience with brands other than Kawasakis, i rode a sea doo GSX once and it handled way better than our ZXI but i read that the Sea Doos all have major reliability problems, any suggestions or experiences you can share?
thanks in advance
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 10:55 AM

If you want to do a lot of spins and stuff I'd suggest a Sea-Doo. I wouldn't get a Sea-Doo with the 951 (1000 series engine) any older than a 2002.

I have a Yami 2001 GP1200R and it hasn't been problem free. I've had to replace a broken powervalve (these sometimes take out a cylinder and piston, etc. $$$). I also removed the cat con as these are known to fail (sections break off and clog the exhaust).

It's great for going wide open in the rough stuff but not the best for spins/messing around. It has a race inspired hull.

If you get a GPR contact me I can give you tons of info and/or let you know what to look for if buying used.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 11:18 AM
BEARS FANATIC

Sportbike: 2004 R1
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally posted by JETRep
If you want to do a lot of spins and stuff I'd suggest a Sea-Doo. I wouldn't get a Sea-Doo with the 951 (1000 series engine) any older than a 2002.

I have a Yami 2001 GP1200R and it hasn't been problem free. I've had to replace a broken powervalve (these sometimes take out a cylinder and piston, etc. $$$). I also removed the cat con as these are known to fail (sections break off and clog the exhaust).

It's great for going wide open in the rough stuff but not the best for spins/messing around. It has a race inspired hull.

If you get a GPR contact me I can give you tons of info and/or let you know what to look for if buying used.
From what I know Yamaha paid for any piston damage due to failure of power valve even after warranty exp. (I know they did for mine) The design flaw was corected the very next year I believe .
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 07:19 PM

I have an '01 (second year) and had a PV fail. Many others have had failures with their '01's as well. They may have finally figured it out for the '02's. I installed the retaining clips so I don't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode