Anyone work with Tungsten Jewelry? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Anyone work with Tungsten Jewelry?

I'm in need of some work done, and I'm having trouble finding someone with imagination to pull off what should be some easy work.

Anyone here work with Tungsten, or know someone who works with Tungsten, preferrably with a nickle binder?

PM me please!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

I sold Tungsten Carbide jewelry for years (pretty sure that's what you're talking about), never came across anyone who did any sort of repair work or modifications after the initial casting/forging. I have a feeling you're going to find this a very difficult proposition. You might have some luck finding a Jewelry (Art Dept.) professor at COD or something and ask them. Good luck with this, I'm curious to see what you have in mind!

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Give Edmond @ Naperville Jewelers a call. If he doesn't do it, he may know someone else who does.

630 718 9036

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Thanks, Arch, that's a start!

EDIT: Sorry Smart, I didn't see your post. Thanks for that idea as well.

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 11-24-2008 at 10:11 AM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

my wedding ring is made out of it.. wanted something i couldnt break.. figured tungsten would last longer than the finger it is attached to...

that said, its some pretty hard stuff.. I thought it was cast.. and then polished.. not a lot of bending it around and such like you can with gold or platinum...

btw.. my ring has a pmd coating on it ( so.. in ducati terms.. it's "megacycled" ) (black) and it still looks brand new.. it's the only piece of jewelry i havent destroyed in little to no time
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:33 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Tungsten is brittle as shit.

Ian
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
tungsten wont be easy for whomever wants to work with it, its got one of the highest melting points available

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

I thought that Tungsten was machined...if it's forged, then I might be screwed.

Long story short...it looks like Brianne and I are finally getting hitched (after a long engagement). We both love alternative metals, and I beat the snot out of any jewelry (Which is why I wear none at all). So I've designed his and hers wedding bands, I just need to find someone to actually make them! (I also designed her engagement ring and picked the stone, so it's 100% custom)

I'm also having lots of trouble even finding tungsten in size 5 for Brianne, let alone anything custom.

We were originally thinking titanium, but we fell in love with tungsten. And titanium scratches easer than I realized.

As for tungsten being brittle...that depends on it's mix. Pure tungsten is brittle, so it's often mixed with cobalt...which doesn't make for hypoallergenic jewelry. So the better quality, jewelry grade tungsten is typically mixed with a Nickel or Stainless binder with a high percentage of Wolfram (the element that is Tungsten).

Yes, I've researched the snot out of this, as I do most everything.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

Long story short...it looks like Brianne and I are finally getting hitched (after a long engagement). We both love alternative metals, and I beat the snot out of any jewelry (Which is why I wear none at all). So I've designed his and hers wedding bands, I just need to find someone to actually make them! (I also designed her engagement ring and picked the stone, so it's 100% custom)

I'm also having lots of trouble even finding tungsten in size 5 for Brianne, let alone anything custom.

We were originally thinking titanium, but we fell in love with tungsten. And titanium scratches easer than I realized.

As for tungsten being brittle...that depends on it's mix. Pure tungsten is brittle, so it's often mixed with cobalt...which doesn't make for hypoallergenic jewelry. So the better quality, jewelry grade tungsten is typically mixed with a Nickel or Stainless binder with a high percentage of Wolfram (the element that is Tungsten).

i considered a tungsten ring when I got married. One thing to consider, is that if you are ever in the ER and they need to cut your ring off, with Tungsten or Carbide, they can't. you will lose the finger. Between Motorcycles, and other things, I work with my hands and the possability of a broken finger that causes swelling is to high for me to risk having something on it that would cost my finger. I went with yellow gold and it's help up very well.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
high risk activities=ring on a chain/in a pocket/safely tucked away

because of what I do at work i no longer wear a watch, even the kind with break away bands

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
i considered a tungsten ring when I got married. One thing to consider, is that if you are ever in the ER and they need to cut your ring off, with Tungsten or Carbide, they can't. you will lose the finger. Between Motorcycles, and other things, I work with my hands and the possability of a broken finger that causes swelling is to high for me to risk having something on it that would cost my finger. I went with yellow gold and it's help up very well.
FALSE.

I called a two ERs and they said they were prepared to take off any sort of ring from any sort of material.

Defib works in ER, hopefully she can chime in on what they have and can do.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:55 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
FALSE.

I called a two ERs and they said they were prepared to take off any sort of ring from any sort of material.

this is good to know. The jewelery sales person that I spoke to told me that was the case. At the time, I had no reason not to believe her.

I'm glad you have researched this more then I did, because I really liked the look of the tungsten / carbide type jewlery.

Another place to check is Windy City Jewelery. its in jewelers row. I worked with a guy named Jim Hansen. He made my ring as well as my wife's wedding band. I don't know if they do anything with alternative metals, but they do alot of custom stuff, it was also a pleasure to work with him.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:56 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:

I believe it is cast not forged.. and as was stated earlier it's melting point is ridiculously high.. So most custom jewelers capable of melting down gold.. will not be able to melt it to work with it (i think its close to 3k degrees)

There are a # of styles.. out there if you look on the internet..

Custom is going to be hard .. most of what I saw were cast in China.. and they would have to make custom forms for the work..

That said, from the level of research you have done.. I imagine you know all of this already.. So I will just stop

Mine was just bought off the internet.. Wifes was custom designed and made.. but hers is gold
(see who is the low maint one in the couple honey? --just in case she is looking--
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:56 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
FALSE.

what if they don't have a good enough blade to cut the material? And do they have an experience with top secret aircraft metal? Dat shiet can't be cut.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

I know nothing about jewelry, but I do know machining tungsten = PITA

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
what if they don't have a good enough blade to cut the material? And do they have an experience with top secret aircraft metal? Dat shiet can't be cut.
Most of them are notched so they can be cut.
To be honest.. I don't see a notch on mine.. but that's ok with me.. they can just take the finger and put it back on later

and... where do you buy your shit? it seems to work really.. really well..
"top secret aircraft metal" ??

More like.. Strong saw tooth material on good saw blades material.. uh.. I mean top secret saw blade tip material
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Yeah, I said forged, I meant casted.

Darkside, you have access to some materials and can machine me a ring?

I had a friend that had some bolts and washers from a material he said was nicknamed "super-tanium". Each and every BOLT and WASHER had a serial number!

And this stuff was lighter than aluminum! It was crazy.

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

I thought they break titanium rather than try cutting it, since it doesn't really bend, it breaks easier than trying to cut.

Our rings are simple bands, mine's a 5 1/2 - they're from Art Carved, although I'm not really happy with the finish since the hub's is dull already and mine does have scratches. Good thing there's a warranty, and I'm pretty sure we can have them replaced because that's not supposed to happen. We're pretty hard on stuff though. I'm guessing his got wrecked with brake cleaner.

From what I've seen, most jewelers don't have the tools to work with it, and since it's cast, and its makeup - you can't get really intricate shapes or forms out of it, so you probably wont find anyone to do custom work. I've done a little jewelry metalsmithing, and in the tool catalogs and design mags, I've never even seen much information.

You can try checking/asking around at the Ganoksin site and their forum. (Site for jewelers/designers)

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
I thought they break titanium rather than try cutting it, since it doesn't really bend, it breaks easier than trying to cut.
That's what I heard as well for both Titanium and Tungsten, but both ERs didn't get into specifics and simply repeated "don't worry, we can handle those no problem". Since both places said that, I have a feeling they aren't allowed to specify details for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
Our rings are simple bands, mine's a 5 1/2 - they're from Art Carved, although I'm not really happy with the finish since the hub's is dull already and mine does have scratches. Good thing there's a warranty, and I'm pretty sure we can have them replaced because that's not supposed to happen. We're pretty hard on stuff though. I'm guessing his got wrecked with brake cleaner.
I wanted Titanium originally, and I know shops that work in Titanium, but as you said it does start to fog up from scratches and scuffs. So I'd have to get a lifetime warranty. The Tungsten on the other hand is pretty much impervious to scratches. It's the strongest metal out there, and is more like stone than metal actually. Besides, I like the heft of the Tungsten over Titanium...it just feels more substantial.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 PM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

Oops, I meant tungsten.

Our rings are tungsten, and they are scratched. Mine's still shiny, and you have to look pretty close to see the scratches. My husband is a machinist, and his is dull after about a year of wearing - either from something at work, or the aforementioned brake cleaner. The first set of rings we had actually seemed better. We had them for a year, but were sized for our middle fingers since we didn't tell anyone we got married. After we announced it, we traded them for new ones to fit our ring fingers - which is what we have now.

It's definitely more durable than other metals for sure. I've got a couple white gold rings that are beat to shit, and my stainless steel watch is a mess.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 PM

Sportbike: 07 ZX6R ss trim 08 zx6r stock
Years Riding: long enough to know i only need a 600
How you found us: chitownracing

Found a video on how tungsten rings are removed in an emergency situation. The finger is not cut off but i know why emergency rooms are less then eager to telling your how they do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poM423pewRE
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:14 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil skinny View Post
Found a video on how tungsten rings are removed in an emergency situation. The finger is not cut off but i know why emergency rooms are less then eager to telling your how they do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poM423pewRE
Yeah like I said really brittle. Anyone that tig welds will tell you this and the welding tungstens are alloyed also but they still snap like twigs with a sharp blow.

Ian
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:18 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
Long story short...it looks like Brianne and I are finally getting hitched
FUCK!

well make sure to tell her to let me know when she has her bachelorette party.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
FUCK!

well make sure to tell her to let me know when she has her bachelorette party.

MAN DOWN MAN DOWN!

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:30 PM
So long San Diego :(

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Since 07/01/06
How you found us: Your Mom told me

I have a WC ring as well, I'm an enginerd, so I had to get something different, plus I'm really rough on shit. Anyway, about the ER thing, most ER's have been equipped with the proper tools to remove any ring, even WC. Also, it can be "broken" off by squeezing it with vice grips...it will fracture into pieces. (it does not deform b4 cracking, so no, it won't squeeze your finger if they did this)

Brandon
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

Kids in back seats cause accidents, Accidents in Back seats cause kids.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
Yeah like I said really brittle. Anyone that tig welds will tell you this and the welding tungstens are alloyed also but they still snap like twigs with a sharp blow.
One might assume that welding is one of those things that is a bit more rigorous than your average persons finger could stand. I know with a gold band on my finger I can grab a steel pipe and it will flatten out where it hits... Not so with the tungsten... I dont seem to have the grip strength to break it (although it probably hurts a bit more than a gold one, as it isn't going anywhere)

Mine has been scraped on brick walls, i have worked on any # of things.. diving in the ocean.. any # of standard stuff.. and doesn't have a mark on it.. I have no doubt that a machinist would run his through more than I do.. but personally.. no complaints so far...

Also, earlier I stated it was a PMD coating.. It appears it's PVD.. Oops

As a side note most places offer lifetime guarantees.. It's not exactly a very expensive metal (compared to gold or platinum for sure).. and it is VERY strong compared to everything else out there..

MM.. if tungsten is not a good choice for durability.. What is?

Quote:
Tungsten itself is strong and durable. You can't bend it or crush it. Its strength is 3 times more rigid than steel, 4 times greater than titanium, and an amazing 10 times that of gold. But most important Tungsten is a beautiful metal. The color is a medium light gray.
from a site selling tungsten rings

and this is a non technical description of the coating (more detail on wikipedia)
Quote:
How do we create the unique two tone black designs? We start with solid tungsten comfort-fit wedding rings and then add the black coating through a black Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coating process. PVD is a vacuum-process technology of physically coating materials onto substrates. PVD coated films have high hardness, high wearing resistance, good corrosion resistance, chemical stability, and longer lifetime. PVD coatings are also hypo-allergenic and non-toxic. Black tungsten shows little to no wear. Over time or in the presence of increased friction or abrasion, the black coating may fade.
Not sure if any of that helps or not
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:31 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
MAN DOWN MAN DOWN!

but seriously.

congrats to you both

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
So long San Diego :(

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Since 07/01/06
How you found us: Your Mom told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
Yeah, I TIG weld, they are brittle as shit. But the electrodes are also 98-100% pure (for steel you use 2% thoriated, aluminum you use pure W), the rings are alloyed so thier not quite as brittle.

I ran my ring back and forth over rough concrete and it does not have a mark on it...

Brandon
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

Kids in back seats cause accidents, Accidents in Back seats cause kids.

Last edited by Pinto Bean; 11-24-2008 at 02:34 PM.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Sportbike: 07 ZX6R ss trim 08 zx6r stock
Years Riding: long enough to know i only need a 600
How you found us: chitownracing

Has anyone thought of getting rings DLC coated?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode