Music Help - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Triumph
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: search engine

Music Help

I recently got a music cd that I did not realize is encoded with BMG's DRM software. When I put the cd in my computer to play it and to encode to mp3 for my music player, I get a pop up demanding that I must install some software which apparently causes security risks. With that splash screen unanswered in the background, I can play the songs, but they sound jumbled. I can encode them to mp3 but then the mp3 will also be jumbled. The moment I decline the BMG splash screen, the computer ejects the cd.

Is there a way around this to get this music from the cd to mp3/flac/WMA lossless? PM if necessary. I searched the internet for a little while last night and all the freeware or pay solutions seem geared to removing drm from Itunes or Napster legally paid for and downloaded music. I dont see anything that helps me with purchased cds or wav files that are unplayable without accepting the software. I tried encoding the jumbled mp3s to the computer, then burning those mp3 files to a blank cd as mp3 and then reading those mp3s on the new burned cd back into the computer. Music is still jumbled. Tried putting physical masking tape on the outer edge of the source cd to "cover" the portion of the cd that brings up the splash screen and drm material. Surpisingly. that did prevent the splash screen from coming up, but the songs were still jumbled if I tried to play them.

Several of the sites claiming to be able to remove DRM from itunes files say this is legal to do as the music files are paid for. I apologize if I am mistaken and this is not an appropriate question and I am just SOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Play the CD in a standard CD player with a digital output. Connect digital audio to your PC's digital sound in. Record as a 44.1KHz 16-bit .wav file. Then either burn "open" cd or rip to MP3 from the .WAV files.

If you don't have a digital out/in on your equipment, use a six-foot or less length quality audio cable. [The longer the cable, the more high-frequency loss.] Watch your record levels on the PC sound recorder so that you don't exceed the input capability (clipping), and you'll have a .wav file that is essentially lossless. Use 44.1KHz 16-bit sampling, as that's how the CD is recorded. Although you cannot 'lock' the sampling clock between the player and recorder with an analog interface, you will still have a fine .WAV file and it will make a great .MP3. The audible losses in playback or rounding errors in the compression to MP3 will far exceed the losses in this dubbing connection.

As long as you are not violating US and International copyright laws, this is perfectly legal.

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 11-25-2008 at 02:36 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
Play the CD in a standard CD player with a digital output. Connect digital audio to your PC's digital sound in. Record as a 44.1KHz 16-bit .wav file. Then either burn "open" cd or rip to MP3 from the .WAV files.

If you don't have a digital out/in on your equipment, use a six-foot or less length quality audio cable. [The longer the cable, the more high-frequency loss.] Watch your record levels on the PC sound recorder so that you don't exceed the input capability (clipping), and you'll have a .wav file that is essentially lossless. Use 44.1KHz 16-bit sampling, as that's how the CD is recorded. Although you cannot 'lock' the sampling clock between the player and recorder with an analog interface, you will still have a fine .WAV file and it will make a great .MP3. The audible losses in playback or rounding errors in the compression to MP3 will far exceed the losses in this dubbing connection.

As long as you are not violating US and International copyright laws, this is perfectly legal.

what he is essentially doing is converting to analog to convert back to digital. That is all well and good, but I can't believe there isn't a program out there that has found a way around this.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
what he is essentially doing is converting to analog to convert back to digital. That is all well and good, but I can't believe there isn't a program out there that has found a way around this.
If he has gear with Digital I/O then it's a digital-digital clone, with the CD player acting as the DRM removal device. Otherwise it's DAD (digital-analog-digital) copy. Either way, the CD player is acting as the DRM removal device.

There are probably some stuff out there on those sites that deal in warez that will do this digitally, but the quality of a digital clone can't be exceeded, and who other than the programmer knows what else the warez are doing beyond what is advertised?

Craig
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 04:36 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

My first thought would be to avoid BMG crap all together.

When I get home I'll see if I can find a BMG breaker of some sort.

EDIT: I think I remember something....try pushing the SHIFT key while closing the CD door, and if I remember correctly, windows bypasses the autoload allowing you to bypass loading that crap.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 11-25-2008 at 04:41 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Sadly, I do not have any of the equipment you describe. My home audio consists of a boom box, my mp3 player, the speakers in my tv, and the crappy speakers in my laptop.

I tried turning off the "autoload" feature by right clicking on my CD drive in my computer and then selecting "no action" for music cds. But the moment I click on the cd to browse the information contained on it, it spins up and the BMG splash screen appears. I will have to remember to keep Sony BMG off my list, but its hard if they have a cd you want. And it seems silly to me to pay the same price for the songs ala carte (.99/song) to buy a lower quality mp3 file without the drm on it from amazon or somewhere online.

I was surprised too when I did not immediately find a ton of links for such a thing on google. I would have thought this would bother more people. Or everyone just avoids BMG now.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Thread killer

Sportbike: Honda SVT
Years Riding: 2003
How you found us: word of mouth

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Unless I am reading that wrong, that is for converting playable but drm encoded Itunes files (regardless of what file type, aac, mp3, wav). I want to convert currently "unplayable" files (on a computer) off a legitimate music CD. That program assumes you already have a perfectly playable file which it digitally converts around to get rid of the DRM. I have completely unplayable music files from this cd on my computer unless I accept the music cd's spy software or whatever it is. If I play a track while just ignoring the splash screen telling me to accept, the music is jumbled in sound. he only way to listen to the cd is with a pure music player, in the car, on home stereo, on boombox, etc. The second I reject the request of the splash screen on my computer, my laptop spits out the cd.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Y'all know me as Mouse

Sportbike: '08 R6 / '09 R6 / '04 GSXR
Years Riding: fer a while
How you found us: Been here all along.

Send a message via AIM to Blake
I've never seen this, but is this the fix:
http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 03:39 PM
K.I.S.S

Sportbike: CBR600RR & H-D Softail Custom
Years Riding: almost as long as it took to fill this out
How you found us: through a miracle

Send a message via AIM to MikeD
i use a program called notecable to convert all my drm stuff.

they also make a product called noteburner.

notecable will convert stuff for you.
noteburner creates a virtual cd and converts it on the fly to your HDD

Willard: When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78montecarlo View Post
I tried turning off the "autoload" feature by right clicking on my CD drive in my computer and then selecting "no action" for music cds. But the moment I click on the cd to browse the information contained on it, it spins up and the BMG splash screen appears. I will have to remember to keep Sony BMG off my list, but its hard if they have a cd you want
That won't turn off Autoload. You need to tell Windows to stop running autorun.inf in order to stop the BMG software from opening when you open the CD. I don't know how to do that, exactly, but if you're technically inclined start here for information on how to stop it, and why it's a good idea to stop Autorun if you use USB drives.

BMG got into a significant amount of trouble over their DRM software, as I recall, and as implied in Blake's link.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 04:34 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
I had something like this once. I have a CD Recorder in my stereo so I copied the new CD to a regular blank CD and put the copied CD in the computer and put it on my MP3 Player at the time.
My old technology CD recorder beat new technology security.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrand View Post
That won't turn off Autoload. You need to tell Windows to stop running autorun.inf in order to stop the BMG software from opening when you open the CD. I don't know how to do that, exactly, but if you're technically inclined start here for information on how to stop it, and why it's a good idea to stop Autorun if you use USB drives.

BMG got into a significant amount of trouble over their DRM software, as I recall, and as implied in Blake's link.

Thanks for the info. I read through the link and understand the benefit, but am hesitant to perform those actions as I will admit I am not the most proficient with a computer. I do not want to mess things up worse.

I basically have given up on this cd for the time being. I do not trust that Sony properly removes everything they install the first time around in that link to Sony's website. Thanks everyone for the info though.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78montecarlo View Post
I basically have given up on this cd for the time being. I do not trust that Sony properly removes everything they install the first time around in that link to Sony's website.
I can't blame you for not trusting them on that. It's not like Sony to come back and dump their DRM entirely, even if they used a rootkit to build it out and then got caught in the act and pilloried over it.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode