What Cell/Camera phone should I get? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
What Cell/Camera phone should I get?

Ok....I always carry a cell phone, my favorite is Noika. I have two digital cameras that I never have when I need them, hence I want a Cell/camera phone. Does anyone have one? Which one? What features should I look for? I know, I don't want a camera attachment for the phone. I want the camera built in. Can I save the pic in the cell/camera phone? or can I email to my address? Would love to here thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

Rick

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:01 PM

Well it is funny you should ask. I just got a camera phone last week. Still playing with it. Love it so far. I have the Sanyo 5300 that has sprint service. The camera is built in. I can take pics and have up to 15 in the phone at one time. I can also send pics to other camera phones or email accounts. Actaully sends the pics pretty quickly. I love this phone so far. cool features. YOu can also have people email you on your sprint account and it comes directly to your phone. give me an email addy and I will shoot you a quick pic.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Hawk,

[email protected] send away

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:21 PM

Had to put your email into my phone but I am sending the pic as we speak.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:46 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

cell phone cameras are for very low res stuff. pics are okay for doing crap like you see in the tv commercials but if you want a decent digital pic you should still be using your standalone digitial camera.

I saw an article recently that said phone cameras are encouraging bad behavior in Japan (hottest cell phone market in the world). Seems a lot of delinquints are taking bathroom shots and other embarrasing pics with their phone cameras Also some corporations are banning camera enabled phones in their facilities because of the ease with which you can use them for industrial espionage. If you do business with big companies, they might not let you walk in with your phone anymore if you get a camera enabled model

Last edited by Ernie; 07-14-2003 at 01:51 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:50 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

awwwww c'mon Ernie.. Im guessing Ricks only doing simple up the skirt type stuff ! harmless

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:52 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Rick rides the bus?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 02:01 PM

One of my IT guys in my office said the same thing about the problems some industries are having/worrying about pic phones. He said the next step to ease this problem is that the phones will start having something built into them that if a company wants to disable the camera aspect of the phones while still allowing the cell abilities to work they can install a transmitter inside the areas they want the cameras off limits. That would automatically disable that. I wouldnt worry about it though.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 02:18 PM

sprint has a really nice one - small low price of $99.99 after rebates - ive always thought sprint had the best phones in the market
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

shame their service really, really sucks!!!

btw i'm going to trade my samsung in for the camera phone this week. i just hope the reception is slightly better.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 03:16 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ju6ganutz
sprint has a really nice one - small low price of $99.99 after rebates - ive always thought sprint had the best phones in the market
but who is the manufacturer of that unit? Sprint is just a service provider, they don't make any phones. From what they carry now it could be a Sanyo, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Nokia, Hitachi, ...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 11:10 PM

In my opinion i think u should get the samsung v205 w/t-mobile
the service is way better than sprints, plus the phone is so small and light you can ride with it in your pantalones.\

the camera takes pretty good photos too.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 09:41 AM

I've got the Nokia 3650 Camera/ Video phone from T-Mobile. Best resolution camera phone I've found so far but, like Ernie pointed out, the resolution isn't the greatest. Works ok for quick pics/ vids that you want to send via e-mail but don't plan on printing any of them.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by loudes13
shame their service really, really sucks!!!

btw i'm going to trade my samsung in for the camera phone this week. i just hope the reception is slightly better.
When I was shopping around for phones last week, I spoke with 3 different Sprint reps both on the phone and in the stores and all three of them said that samsung quality has gone down hill over the last few years. They used to be really good but it seems sanyo has a lot better quality and for some reason they hold a better signal than the samsungs.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:53 PM

Sportbike: 02 R1
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to t-pole Send a message via Yahoo to t-pole
I have the Sanyo 5300, and sometimes I feel it makes a better camera than a phone. It has tons of features, but the 2 downsides mine has is

1.) the earpiece has a "sweet spot." There is only one hole for the speaker, and in a noisey place, you have to get that sweet spot right down your ear canal, or you don't hear anything.

2.) When I'm typing text messages or connection to the internet, it'll do an automatic reset on me. I don't know why, and haven't called Sprint on it yet. But today I typed a text message, and went to send it, and the phone reset (turned itself off and right back on again.) So I gave up and never sent it.

Besides that, it works good. Mine came with 2 batteries, regular and extended. I can hook it up to my laptop and get on-line with the Vision plan for free, and usually at 115k!!!

I haven't looked at any other camera phones, but I know some record sound with the pic, and some record movies. The 5300 does neither of these.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Lance
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Ron
Workin' up to the track

Sportbike: In between bikes right now
Years Riding: 15
How you found us: don't remember

From Forbes.com, seems like a great idea for taking on bike trips...

When Cell Phones Meet Camcorders
Jimin Kim, 07.16.03

NEW YORK - Camera phones could become outdated very soon as the enhancement of mobile phones' multimedia functions continue. The latest offering is Samsung's Anycall SCH-V330, a mobile phone with a camcorder function embedded.

The company unveiled a second camcorder phone, the SCH-V310, only a month later, in line with its efforts to provide a stream of high-tech devices at a rapid pace.

Camcorder phones allow users to shoot video clips with audio, in addition to shooting still pictures. Video clips can be stored for later use.

The SCH-V330 will be available in the U.S. as early as next month, but Samsung hasn't yet decided on its name or pricing for that market. The 300,000-pixel camcorder features two power-zoom lenses with nine settings, and can shoot up to 30 minutes of video clips (19 megabytes) at 11 frames per second. The phone plays clips back on a high-quality TFT-LCD screen that can reproduce 262,000 color shades and with SRS WOW technology, which creates surround-sound effects.

Another impressive function is the Live Screen service, which allows users to set recorded video clips as their screen backgrounds or use a downloaded music video as the background. Previously, only a still picture or a moving cartoon image could be used as the background. And these fabulous functions only take one click on the phone's camcorder icon.

Although the SCH-V330 isn't yet available in the U.S., a similar phone by Nokia (nyse: NOK - news - people ) is. The Nokia 3650 can capture up to 20 seconds of video and audio clips. To use these features, users must subscribe to a phone service with T-Mobile USA, a unit of Deutsche Telecom (nyse: DT - news - people ), or Cingular Wireless, a joint venture between SBC Communications (nyse: SBC - news - people ) and BellSouth (nyse: BLS - news - people ). The phone costs around $100 to $150 after rebate.

Full Article Here

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.

- Edward R. Murrow
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 12:56 AM

We just got the Sanyo 8100. Nice phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode