HEY labdog...(i need some speaker info that you carry) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

HEY labdog...(i need some speaker info that you carry)

question for you at your shop, WHAT kind of speakers do you sell, (that are NOT self amp'd) that are BI-wireabile, and can handle loads (of NO PROBLEM)

6 ohms running an easy 320 watts (each)
4 ohms running an easy 475 watts (each)
(dont wanna run 2 ohm loads)

key considerations,
3-4 way driven speakers. no horns for the midrange woofer, and or a TI diafram IF the tweeter is a horn or possible no horn at all for the tweeter.

and also can i demo them.

thanks, and if you have something that fits these needs, can you give me information links to check out the speaker makers on line as a visible appearance & tech gathering info.

thanks bro.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 09:39 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Hey Ken i have quite an assortment of speakers. All non-powered. Do to our consumers high power requirement our various speakers handle HIGH wattage from an outside source (AMP)

We carry Community, Gemini, EV and can get you almost anything you would need. We also build and install drivers, cones and anything to produce the sound you are looking for. we can hook you up for connections from twist lock cables, (so the wires do not come unplugged) bannana plugs, 1/4 inch jacks, to regular wire inserts.

we can also have a Paradise cabinet made for you (Paradise is hand made product that is #1 for clubs and most bands purchase) (Bands i know that use paradise is Journey, Styx, and many others.)

It seems you know what you are looking for but if you come by the store i have MANY options for you and YES we demo ALL speakers for everyone as well as push them harder than a normal person would.

Do not forget EVERYONE from CLSB gets an awesome discount from me!!

Until my website is done you can check out Sam Ash or guitar centers site to get an idea and DO WRITE DOWN the price from them and then give me a check and i promise you will not be disappointed with your discount!

Hope this helps ya!

Oh yea as far as wattage goes we usually push an easy 1000 for demo and can go higher if you like!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

ok will do, bro. send me a PM again, with your# so i can talk to you more about it dude, and come by when your there.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:48 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
ok will do, bro. send me a PM again, with your# so i can talk to you more about it dude, and come by when your there.
This is not the usual kind of gear you're looking at! Are you starting a band or something?

Dave
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 02:01 PM

Actually Dave i sell a lot of systems to people who want AWESOME sounds for their home. Yes you need an amp and stuff like that but you would be surprised at what a small amp and good speakers could do. you could either have great sound in your house or excellent sound for the neighborhood!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
Yes you need an amp and stuff like that but you would be surprised at what a small amp and good speakers could do.
Not as surprised as you might think since I have designed professional sound systems from scratch.

I'm not knocking the brands you mentioned, they are just not characteristic of the "audiophile" types.

For instance, Community Light and Sound, very solid and sound (no pun intended) design principles based in real acoustic physics, with realistic SPL and power ratings. They've been building high efficiency sound systems for years, although the users don't always configure and power them correctly.

EV is one of the most efficient systems, dollar for dollar, but I consider them the mid level, with Peavey and others at the low end. I'm not a big fan of the servo systems either!

I'm still a fan of JBL for pro drivers and building your own cabinets using simple designs that are predictable. I also like Rinkus-Hines but they tend to handle less power and cost more typically.

Anyway, not meaning to butt in, just curious since Ken's interest has always seemed more toward esoteric audiophile approaches.

Dave
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

dave you are correct

BUT (and this is when it gets weird)
you saw my PS audio class A stuff, and well i wanna get some NICE speakers, that can handle the power, AND if i was to get speakers that can handle them and sound the way i like in the audiophile sense, i would need to spend 45g's on those B&W speakers. (honestly, i don't want to spend that much) and my wife would kill me right now.

SO and since I am going to use these in the basement for some LOAD tunes, i NEED some major bass, and fluent mid's with non harsh high's.

so commercial is where i am thinking og TRYING.
my bro-in-law has some maci's (sp?) that are self powered speakers from G.Center for like 2000 for the pair, i gotta tell yeah, after i helped him get some HIGH end balanced cables to run from his hometheater receiver (not even sperate components) i saw 1 the bas was STRONG and tight! mids lacked big time, and the hi's from the horn were to strong for me.

over all, nice LOAD speakers with DECENT recreation of tonal sounds, in a crude manner. WILL it be decent enough t run the basement for my liking? 50/50 on accepting the crudeness of load sound to LOAD CLEAR reproduction.

I cant get to picky, unless I am gonna spend some pimping cash, but I want to research my options, and see what I can live with in a LOAD speaker system.

Being that my A components, will drive LOAD clear sound without distortion, DEPENDING on speaker of course will aid in the distortion free sound to a sense, BUT not to the point of a crap speaker, being a crap speaker.

I know you guys understand what I am saying, most others wont.

dave from your back ground and you know how i am , in your suggestion, what kinda speakers do you think might fit my bill on the cheaper sense of comercial speakers delivering what i am looking for?

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:27 PM

Exactly Dave. Most people just don't seem to understand the principal of tuning. Plug it in and go.

We use a lot of JBL drivers in clubs because they do actually handle extremely well and surprisingly community is a GREAT unit at a reasonible price. I DO NOT like peavey sound but some people say peavey is the greatest so i do not argue. Really cant argue but just try to "show" them another set and let them decide. You sound like you know your Pro-Audio as well. Are you in the line as well? Actually to keep from Ken's post you can PM me as well.

Ken i have some pretty awesome selection of Pro-Lighting as well!

I can turn your bedroom ceiling into a colored watery effect for low dough if ya like some kinky schnitt!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:39 PM

I haven't researched the Community stuff for a while. At one time they were making some kind of composite or fiberglass cabinet that I didn't care for much. Personally, I would look carefully at the Community or JBL front-loaded designs. I would look at 3-way tri-amped system with a GOOD electronic crossover.

You may have some difficulty doing this type of system without a horn on the high end, but if you get a wide dispersion bi-radial design with the proper flair you might be surprised how good it sounds. They will be more directional than you are accustomed to with dome tweeter technology.

I wouldn't dream of knocking the B&W high-end systems but as you noted, they are expensive due to limited market and (honestly) part of an overall market strategy. They have created a niche in the high-end market and do a good job building their components.

The large, low-excursion, high-compliance drivers will NEVER sound the same as the high-excursion small diameter drivers. Which sounds "better" is much in the ears of the listener. I tend to prefer large drivers with large stiff voice coil assemblies and smaller cone excursions. Reducing the size for home use is the driving factor that creates a lot of technical problems that all the innovators are trying to solve.

Look for solid cabinet construction with good bracing and low resonance. You do not want the cabinet resonance to color the sound. Also look for designs that keep the drivers time aligned so that they are operating in phase with each other. This prevents all sorts of strange things at the crossover points.

Dave
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

ahh you mean the water scene light waves?

i might like that actually with some ocean sounds cd playing, hell i might actually sleep good, and you guys can talk all about any ound stuff in here, personal or not.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

I agree Dave 100% and I have yet to meet a horn, that wasn't a real focal directional sounding, REAL tough for wide tonal disbursement placement or enjoyment.

And yes, time aligned IS almost (but in a gross sense) can be even seen or heard) but tough when dealing with low octaves, that can create bass cancellation. UGH HATE THAT.

anyway...very nice conversation in here, me likely

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:54 PM

Good deal Ken.

Actually the light is called a trance and its oil projection. Its cool. I have quite a few you can check out when ya swing by! If ya get real "into it" try a bubble machine on a timer so you can fill the room.

Dreamin------Big bedroom, water ceiling, soothing sounds, light fog or heavy, lasers dancing and bubbles floating!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

hahha, oh and guys i meant loud speakers and all that shit not LOAD...my brain is fried today.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 05:42 PM

If you are looking at JBL, I would recommend making sure you're looking at the PRO series drivers, not the musical instrument series.

Dave
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

you know a buddy of mine about 8 years ago that had some JBL speakers that were FUCKEN mint, and nice,
ive never seen a pair before from JBL like that i bet they were the PRO 's anyone still carry them?

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Work In Progress...

Sportbike: 2005 Harley Night Train
Years Riding: I dunno ?
How you found us: Been around a couple years

Send a message via MSN to BuzByU
Sounds like a 3 way to me here guys ....good thing I know nothing about what you are talking about.

Ok back to your regularly scheduled Posts....

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!
1999 Ford SVT Lightning - Super Charged @ 600 ponies

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

speaking of 3 sum's marie is coming over in a hour, gonna try to talk the wife for the 2000 time about maybe giving in

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 12:19 AM

How big is your basment Odysseys? With those numbers you could probably crack the foundation. Does the village know your opening a club in your basement?

JBL's are nice. I think of them as the timex of speakers. Takes a licking and keeps of ticking. They sound good for cones also.

My personal favorite are Martain logan's for music. Belive me they will fill a room. But they're your ears so do what makes them happy.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whatsign
My personal favorite are Martain logan's for music. Belive me they will fill a room. But they're your ears so do what makes them happy.
Yeah, the Logans are nice but they have their limitations as well. They are not cheap and he already said he wants to stay above 4 ohms. The logans drop below 2 ohms and require amps that are stable for that kind of load. The smaller logans also lack a bit on the low end and the crossover from the cone to the panel is not perfect either. The impedance curve dips severely in certain regions.

I do like the Logans and have considered some for home use.

The less than 2 ohm load also adds to any impedance problems from the interconnects.

Dave
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:12 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Finally something I know absolutely nothing about, this is like a foreign language. I'm intrigued to learn, but it sounds like another expensive hobby and that's the last thing I need.

Last edited by CRAZe Inc; 07-16-2003 at 03:20 AM.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:27 AM

Yes the JBL PRO line is a good way to go. We do driver(JBL) for clubs because not only do they sound good, throw good, but the manufacturer stands behind there product very strongly. Warranty is always easy to work with from them. I like the reflex action but i also enjoy the low throws from the EV design. Just a personal preference mind you.

The last time i jumped on our dbl 18 paradise with 50cent the guy was like holy shit i want those now! as his kid was screaming cause it scared him so bad!

I am really happy to help you out in anyway shape or form! My partner is the engineer and tuner so seriously if you have ANY questions above my knowledge(and i will let you know ) I promise to have an answer for ya.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

cool and now send me a freaking PM with your # so i can get the details on getting there!

lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode