Facebook Hacking - For Jrock - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Facebook Hacking - For Jrock

You asked a while back about this and I just saw a piece on ABC 7 News on this very topic - Be caredull kiddies - Soooooo happy I deleted that Acct of mine

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...mer&id=6619888

January 22, 2009 (CHICAGO) -- As social networking sites continue to gain in popularity, so do the numbers of hackers, scam artists and ID thieves using them to disseminate viruses and steal identities.
The Better Business Bureau outlined some common social networking schemes:
Friend in Distress Scam
Facebook users may receive a message in their inbox from a friend saying that they are in a dire situation - such as stranded in a foreign country - and need money wired to them. The recipient of the message doesn't realize that their friend's account has been hacked and that the message was actually sent by scammers. If the Facebook user does wire money to the scammers, they have no way of recovering the money after they learn that their friend is actually safe and sound.
Phishing Friends
One particularly virulent computer virus, called Koobface, has made the social networking site rounds via MySpace and most recently on Facebook last December. In Faceback, the victim receives a message from their friend saying "You look awesome in this video" or "You look funny in this video" and includes a link to an outside Web site to view the video. Clicking on the link will open a window that claims the victim needs to download an updated version of Flash Player. Agreeing to the update actually installs the virus onto the victim's computer. The virus is designed to monitor the user's Internet activity and potentially steal personal information. Victims of Koobface have had a particularly difficult time removing the virus and in some extreme cases just decided to scrap their computers completely.
Viral Wall Post
Another recent Facebook scam takes advantage of a social networker's fears that the pictures and information they post on Facebook could be made very public. The user receives a post on his or her wall from a friend saying something like, "hey do u realize your face book picture is all over ". The wall posts vary, but all invariably link to an outside Web site that supposedly has the user's photos. Facebook warns that clicking on the link will allow hackers to gain access to the user's personal account and post the same message - seemingly coming from the victim - on their friend's walls. BBB offers the following advice for staying safe on social networking sites:
Be extremely wary of messages from friends or strangers that direct the user to another Web site via a hyperlink.
Before wiring money to a friend in a jam, users should attempt to contact their friend outside of the social networking site, to confirm the situation. If that's not possible, BBB recommends asking them a question that only they would know the answer to.
Social networking sites are about sharing information, but BBB recommends that users take steps to keep important information private. While some social networking Web sites do allow for the user to share phone numbers and addresses, it's best to keep such information private.
Be selective when choosing friends. While a user might not want to be rude, BBB recommends that it's best to decline a request for friendship if the user doesn't actually know the person.
Users should always make sure their computer's operating system and antivirus and firewall software are up to date.
For more advice on staying safe online go to bbb.org .

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 AM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Friend in Distress Scam
Facebook users may receive a message in their inbox from a friend saying that they are in a dire situation - such as stranded in a foreign country - and need money wired to them. The recipient of the message doesn't realize that their friend's account has been hacked and that the message was actually sent by scammers. If the Facebook user does wire money to the scammers, they have no way of recovering the money after they learn that their friend is actually safe and sound.
Just reply to them and let them know that you've got US$80B coming from your other distant relative in Nigeria. As soon as you receive that you'll be happy to help them out....

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 02:45 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

thats why mine doesnt really say shit of who i am. stealing i.d. is all to easy.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

That is not 'hacking' but really phishing. If you are stupid enough to wire someone mail sight-unseen regardless of wheter it came from an email or a social networking site them you are a fool easily parted from your money anyway.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
That is not 'hacking' but really phishing. If you are stupid enough to wire someone mail sight-unseen regardless of wheter it came from an email or a social networking site them you are a fool easily parted from your money anyway.
Exactly.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Quote:

+1 This isn't hacking. It's Darwinism.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
you mean, like on aol, when someone said they worked for AOL and AOL has lost your password.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
you mean, like on aol, when someone said they worked for AOL and AOL has lost your password.
I was one of them assholes getting your info!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

I just stick to the tried and true methods of getting cash fast... I send $1 to the first 10 names on the list... add mine to the bottom and remove the first one... and send it to 10 of my friends.

Any day now that mailbox is going to be overflowing with money.....

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
i heard about more shit lilke when you get all those invites from things like snowball fights and all other shit like that...i REFUSE to accept any of those things cause thats another way they hack our account...they had some guys up in canada that would create apps, and once you accepted their application, they had the app record your info and bam...spam emails and everything would come...i have 1 specific email set up right now for facebook, and i get spam coming in to it...

i allow very few, if ever, accept any of those tagged applications...and honestly, u guys should watch yourselfs too...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
I was one of them assholes getting your info!
I wish I had a print screen of this.

AOL use to sign you off automaticaly. either from to many TOS or harassment.

got booted and the sign off screen says "i know your hacking"

I remember people that were moderators (forgot what the term is called) to watch the chatrooms, aol would pay for their subscription. Buddy I knew via online, had a field day with them. Hardcore hacker and they couldn't do anything to him. They also had some progz that you can have 10 user accounts online on 1 computer. good times
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Hair Split - Thank you

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:12 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Thanks Bug! My wife is really into fb now, so that was good info to pass along to her.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM

Yawn

What is this - the 90's? This is the same ol' same ol. Stay away from what you don't know. Put 123 Anywhere as your address, etc. I mean c'mon.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki_D_Wolf View Post
What is this - the 90's? This is the same ol' same ol. Stay away from what you don't know. Put 123 Anywhere as your address, etc. I mean c'mon.
You would be surprised dude - People think, "Oh it is just friends sharing pics and stuff" and get VERY lazy and forget that it is still the internet

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
You would be surprised dude - People think, "Oh it is just friends sharing pics and stuff" and get VERY lazy and forget that it is still the internet
I agree with whoever typed Darwinism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode