Finally switched to Nextel - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
Finally switched to Nextel

I love it. I got it yesterday, i got the i90 phone for $120 with my discounth through fedex. It makes things so much easier since alot of my friends and everyone at work has one. This is the first cell phone ive had that is all in my name, first time ive ever had credit. Feel free to alert me at 109*155895*1 especially if you wanna go ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:01 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

cool...nextel rocks. I got me and the wife a couple of I95's I absolutely love them.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:06 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

id love to get Nextels but with the traveling I do they just dont seem to have the coverage that ATT has. Have you seen their nationwide 2 way radio coverage? Its pretty pathetic still. Hopefully theyll increase the coverage soon

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:07 AM
Playground legend

Sportbike: 92 ZX-7 - Sold
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: Google

It'll change the way you look at phones. My old brick used to be a nuisance as I would always forget it and it was a pain to take with, but the i90 has become the way to communicate during the workday and outside of work as well. Welcome to your other addiction...chirping!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:11 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Nextel here too!

I love my nextel! In the heat of rush hour i used to get all circuits are busy but now when i get it on the nextel; 2 way ALWAYS works!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2weelpilot
id love to get Nextels but with the traveling I do they just dont seem to have the coverage that ATT has. Have you seen their nationwide 2 way radio coverage? Its pretty pathetic still. Hopefully theyll increase the coverage soon

Mike,

how much have you checked that out. The 2 way is awsome. Hell the police even use it on some level. I got the Nextel cause nobody else seemed to have as much coverage off the major highways as them. Riding that's what I needed most.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Grasshopper

"PLEASE HOLD WHILE THE NEXTEL SUBSCRIBER YOU ARE TRYING TO REACH IS LOCATED"

"PLEASE HOLD, YOUR CALL IS BEING FOWARDED TO AN AUTOMATED VOICE MESSAGE SERVICE"

I HATE NEXTELS, YOU CAN NEVER GET A HOLD OF ANYONE WITH A FUGGIN NEXTEL.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I love my nextel. Hey mike I travel all over the state and mine works everywhere. And I had Att, I got rid of it becasue of bad signal.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony
I love my nextel. Hey mike I travel all over the state and mine works everywhere. And I had Att, I got rid of it becasue of bad signal.

Me too.....I constantly got lines switched, dropped and fuzzed out on me.....Never happens with my Nextel.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:29 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Nextel coverage is awesome! When i go hunting in Princeton i get full signal and its local!

When i drive to Virginia its a local call up in to Kentucky!

When my wife and i flew to California i took the nextels because when you land your area code becomes theirs. IE.. 630-330-xxxx in IL became 209-330-xxxx

I used the phone in Cali all the time checking hotels, restuarants, and everything because it was all local calls. we were in different shops calling each other constantly!

Best phone i ever used.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 09:10 AM

Sportbike: '97 GSX-R750
Years Riding: 1

My only beef with nextel is dealing with their "customer service" and their phones.

I run our network of phones at work (aboot 40) and if I have to call nextel to do a swap, or something you'd think is fairly simple it becomes a nightmare. Even with us being a "Premier" club member it's a pain in the ass to get something done. They hire people that don't know their asshole from their elbow that speak broken Engrish. I usually end up getting transfered a minimum of 4 times will calling customer service.

I hate their phones also. They are about 5 years behind everyone else when it comes to phone technology. The phones are way overpriced and grossly under featured. It's really a joke. You can get one phone with color? Their Blackberry has some "quirks" about it that piss me off also. Adding names and numbers at times is back asswards.

The service is great though. The walkie talkie feature is a nice thing. A few other companies are coming out with their 2-way feature this year since Nextel's copyright or pattent or whatever expired on the two-way. I know Verizon was shooting to have theirs in place before the end of this year. I'm curious to see how Nextel does after other companies release the same features. Hopefully it will get them to deflate their head a bit and actually make some decent phones.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 09:12 AM
car guy with a bike :D

Sportbike: 94 ZX6
Years Riding: one year
How you found us: word of mouth

Send a message via AIM to DriveATransAm
ive had nextel for about 4 years now. i dont think id switch. their service is unbeatable. ive gotten maybe one dropped call the whole time ive owned it. my only complaint is the actual phone prices. they are way too high. in some rural areas its hard to get a signal, but even with a weak signal, its always clear and doesnt break up. soon as they started to allow 2-way outside your group everyone and their brother got one.

'01 NBM TransAm [email protected] (1.49) boltons & cam
'03 Ranger FX4 level 2 4x4
'94 ZX6
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 09:14 AM
HRB
Tommy want wingy

Sportbike: 02 Busa
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: you found me... ;)

Quote:

Ditto on all points. Love the nextel, works everywhere in my Midwest travels, and ATT... terrible signal.

In memory of Gman
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 09:18 AM

Sportbike: '97 GSX-R750
Years Riding: 1

oh yeah, for all current Nextel users. FYI, about the direct connect.

If you have Direct Connect service, Nationwide Direct Connect service is automatically included:
In-Market Calls: No charge
Market-to-Market Calls: Pay-as-you go – $0.10/minute for each participant

Better yet, sign up for one of these options and enjoy Nationwide Direct Connect service for one flat fee:
Unlimited Access: $10/month per phone
Unlimited Access + Two-way Messaging: $15/month per phone

They have a "trial use" in place right now, until the 10th or something like that.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Red Riders....Mount Up

Sportbike: 2001 RC51
Years Riding: 4+ years

Send a message via AIM to Jaffar
I have an I95 as well and have been using Nextel for about 2 years now. My boss liked it so much he got them for our office. 2 way Direct connect coverage is great! Its nationwide, how can you beat that. I talk to my sister in AZ on 2 way every day. Walkie talkie from Chicago to AZ.....not bad coverage. I don't think I could ever go back to AT&T.

Wilson- Thank god for twins!

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

AND NOW FOR A DIFFERENT SPIN

nextel suck, im on the phone in my office and there are 3 people (deaf by the way) having two way conversations, i cant hear my customer. im on the phone with a customer someone beeps, i dont answer they beep again, i dont answer they alert me, hello dumb ass im on the phone, trust me unless your dying its not that important and can wait.

I go out to dinner with family & friends, the jack ass behind me is having a nice 2 way conversation with his someone about tomorrows weather, hello im eating and trying to have a conversation with my friends, go outside or shut the fucker off.

yeah nextel suck!!!

people have lost any sense of courtesy with these dam phones its all about them all the time.!!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I've had nextel for 4 years now. I can officially say that they suck dirty zoo monkey balls. And yes thats how I really feel.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. D
I've had nextel for 4 years now. I can officially say that they suck dirty zoo monkey balls. And yes thats how I really feel.
Well then why dont you switch. you could always go to ATT

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Well then why dont you switch. you could always go to ATT
I have ATT and it works great, excellent plan, free long distance all calls are local no roaming and the reception is great. plus when im having a conversation with someone im not bothering the 50 people around me at work!!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Work In Progress...

Sportbike: 2005 Harley Night Train
Years Riding: I dunno ?
How you found us: Been around a couple years

Send a message via MSN to BuzByU
I have Nextel also, since I have the buisness they sure are sweet for dealing with clients. Alot of contractors have them, and I make alot of calls a day, so they are a time saver. I am not the happiest with the reception though, maybe due to some of the areas that I am in though .. my .02

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!
1999 Ford SVT Lightning - Super Charged @ 600 ponies

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
plus when im having a conversation with someone im not bothering the 50 people around me at work!!
next time that happens just ask them nicely if they can turn the speaker off. I do that when i dont want all the people around me hearing my whole converstation.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 03:10 AM
F*ck if I know

Sportbike: 2003 R6
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: um.....don't remember, i'm just trying to change my profile

Send a message via AIM to remarks999
well, i've always wanted to try nextel. they're the only phone company i haven't tried. i've had cingular, att, t-moble, verizon, cell one and now for the second time, i'm with sprint. as stated many times, their phones suck. face it, the 2 way feature is sweet as hell, but when you have one color phone and it starts at $200+ it makes me look elsewhere. also, their pricing is more than anyone else out there. sure i'd like to be able to 2way with all my friends, but my sprint has unlimited mins. to any sprint customer and i know a lot more people on the sprint network. right now i pay $110 a month for 2 phones with 2000 anytime minuets, free nights and weekends, unlimited sprint to sprint calls, unlimited internet, free roaming and free long distance. if i wanted that with nextel, it would have costed quite a bit more. plus the phone i bought has a full color screen and i only paid $50 for it and it came with a free dvd player! maybe one day i can afford to get a nextel.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 05:01 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

ive been using nextel ever since it came into the market, and let me tell you , i like them. for all the right reasons.
all my workers have them for personal use and work. (which at work its only for work) other then that, there coverage area is always expanding. but more so local direct connect is great and anywhere in the country as a local call is cool too.

and the GPS comes in handy too when your in a south america jungle (dont ask)

i like them and will keep using them.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 06:19 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by ZoomByU
next time that happens just ask them nicely if they can turn the speaker off. I do that when i dont want all the people around me hearing my whole converstation.

yeah i do, about 50 times a day, and tell me why when you cant hear the guy to well on the other end, you think he is going to here you any better if your yelling into it. Dont get me wrong i think the 2way is a cool feature. I do however think these do not belong in an office, people who use them in an office while others are in the office are RUDE and INCONSIDERATE. outside in your car, out in the warehouse are all ok. but in the middle of an office or restaraunt. no they dont belong. What ever happen to manners. think about it. just amagine if everyone around you in your office used speaker phone instead of picking up the handset, thats what is like in my office and it sucks!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
AND NOW FOR A DIFFERENT SPIN

nextel suck, im on the phone in my office and there are 3 people (deaf by the way) having two way conversations, i cant hear my customer. im on the phone with a customer someone beeps, i dont answer they beep again, i dont answer they alert me, hello dumb ass im on the phone, trust me unless your dying its not that important and can wait.
Now THAT I agree with you 110%, Jim. Granted, the people I use the 2-way with the most, are actually not bad about this (DanO, Jay, Haybale, etc.) But I've got a few friends who chirp... and chirp... "Hey Jim"... "HEY JIM"... "HEEEEEEY JIIIIIM!!!". Don't bother to think that I could be in a meeting at work, in the middle of a conversation with someone, talking on the phone, etc. Chirp me once, I probably heard it - if I don't respond, I'll get you later. It DOES show up in the "calls" list, which I routinely check, so I'll know if I missed someone's chirp.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:52 AM

I'll give ya that. It sucks to be sitting on the train and the wife chirps ya "oh honey buch sweet pants, suger plum" "baby can you bring a gallon of Milk home for your wifey" .....Churp....churp. "thank you ...you hunk o' burnin love" "you won't be sorry when you get home (giggle ...giggle)

Yeah that's not embarassing.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Yup if your a nextel user you have to have some Nextel Etiquiet (sp) Lke key up once and wait for response, dont yell into phone unless you know other person is somewhere they can talk. And for god sake dont use the alert feature unless its an emergency or you know I'm out riding and cant hear it, that friggin beep is loud as hell. Plus when I'm talking on my 2 way I usually try to take the conversation away from the crowd, that way I dont bother anyone. Jim the idiots your talking about would probably still be idiots no matter what phone thier using. Just walk over and hit the "private speaker off button on top of the phone. then it works like a regular phone.

I'll tell you though I got one then convinced all my friends to get one. Now none of us would ever do back. once you go 2 way you never go back.

- Ronald Reagan

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
I'll give ya that. It sucks to be sitting on the train and the wife chirps ya "oh honey buch sweet pants, suger plum" "baby can you bring a gallon of Milk home for your wifey" .....Churp....churp. "thank you ...you hunk o' burnin love" "you won't be sorry when you get home (giggle ...giggle)

LOL!

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy

When I know my buddy Scotti is walking through Jewel or some shit. I will randomly beep his phone and start yelling nice ass or something that always gets peoples attention

- Ronald Reagan

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 04:39 PM
car guy with a bike :D

Sportbike: 94 ZX6
Years Riding: one year
How you found us: word of mouth

Send a message via AIM to DriveATransAm
Quote:
Originally posted by BuzByU
I have Nextel also, since I have the buisness they sure are sweet for dealing with clients. Alot of contractors have them, and I make alot of calls a day, so they are a time saver. I am not the happiest with the reception though, maybe due to some of the areas that I am in though .. my .02
do you work at midway? my dad employs the onsite electricians for there.

'01 NBM TransAm [email protected] (1.49) boltons & cam
'03 Ranger FX4 level 2 4x4
'94 ZX6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode