pissed at "newbies guide" - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

pissed at "newbies guide"

I think this list will scare some riders away. If they choose not to come from experience than I can respect that. But not because of some list is a misjustice.

I just led a ride with some noobies. I flat out told them my idea idea of slow could get them killed today. And I stressed like I do every time that "THERE IS NO NEED TO KEEP UP WITH THE MAN IN FRONT OF YOU! I WAIT AT EVERY ROAD CHANGE." Especially in larged group I gaurantee no man left behind.

I have also been known to say I am not your father or your babysitter on these rides. If you can't keep your own abilities in check that is not my fault. On my rides your not stressd to keep up so there is no reason to ride outside your abilites.

Lastly on my rides I make sure no one is riding crazy enough to effect other riders. Stuff like stunting in the group or passing in corners. I have actually got off my bike in the middle of a ride to warn people one last time. After that they would be asked to leave.

I have told many I would rather wait all day on the side of the road for a noobie to catch up than wait so much as 10 minutes in a hospital. As far as I am concerned unles I state "NO NOOBS WELCOME!" than they are more than welcome to come on my group rides. If they can keep their wrist in check I will make sure they never get lost and find their way home.

finished

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=78209

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
I have rode with you on a number of occasions and I don't see anything wrong with your abilities to lead a group. Like you said even newbies can come along since we wait at every turn and even head back to check on people who aren't showing up in a reasonable amount of time. I think the post you are referring to was just poking some fun though.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Its like Joe said, it's more meant to poke fun. It's not some super serial list of newbies to stay away from. It's a nice way of saying your faster than shit

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine — it’s like watching a car accident in progress. It’s horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you can’t help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

I rode with ya on the sr run last year and it was awesome man. We all rode to our abilities and at the end of the day, everyone was happy and safe. I definatly will hit up some rides with you this summer so long as noobs are welcome lol.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

I had a great time the other day when you led our group. You did stress to us several times to not try and keep up. You led us to some good roads that I probably wouldn't have found on my own. Now as far as being able to ride side by side with you, that will take a little bit of work, lol. Thanks again!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Every motor needs a turbo

Sportbike: Had a Liquid Silver R1
Years Riding: longer than paved roads were common
How you found us: fellow rider

Joe's the best group ride leader EVER. If I ride behind him my bike automatically pulls wheelies. true story.

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Joe--

Nothing against you bro at all (because i ENJOY riding with you) but you are faster than a newb. I would steer ANY newbie away from riding with you and more so a big old handfull of my friends. with that said....

(clarification) A newb is just that. Inexperienced. You cant just tell a newb to ride your own ride. They cant differentiate riding and lack of experience on just what they can do. Anyone will attempt to push it just to see how good they are (ego) and wind up off roading it with your caliber of aggression in a turn. You like to ride hot and by that you know what i mean.

I have done a few newb rides and everytime i have to check MY level of riding at the door almost to the point of them thinking i am too slow. I try to have them single line follow me in a turn to see my line and follow it KNOWING its NOTHING aggressive. Believe me i know its painful especially when you want to get somewhere but trust me the people i have done this with a few times are now pretty decent riders.

I am not calling you out by no means but just setting a mindset for newbie riders.

And thanks for bringing this to light early in the season. TRUST me when i say i went way over my head quite a few times with Ody, Tony, Rabbit, Brian, and a few others in the beginning. I was just old enough to say Whoa!--(Or it could of been the ass pucker telling me but either way we all learn at a different pace and hopefully not by regrets..

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Make my day!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAlero View Post
Its like Joe said, it's more meant to poke fun. It's not some super serial list of newbies to stay away from. It's a nice way of saying your faster than shit
it's cool. I just don't want anyone to shy away what could be a great time for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog View Post
Joe--

(clarification) A newb is just that. Inexperienced. You cant just tell a newb to ride your own ride. They cant differentiate riding and lack of experience on just what they can do. Anyone will attempt to push it just to see how good they are (ego) and wind up off roading it with your caliber of aggression in a turn. You like to ride hot and by that you know what i mean.

I have done a few newb rides and everytime i have to check MY level of riding at the door almost to the point of them thinking i am too slow. I try to have them single line follow me in a turn to see my line and follow it KNOWING its NOTHING aggressive. Believe me i know its painful especially when you want to get somewhere but trust me the people i have done this with a few times are now pretty decent riders.

I am not a school or post rides for them to learn. I will be more than happy to discuss riding techniques with a newbie or even take them out for a one on one session at their pace. But I post group rides for the company and to enjoy the ride. The reason we line up with the fast guys first and slow guys last is so everyone can enjoy the ride at their level. Otherwise we would line up with the slow guy first to slow down the group. I want everyone at every level to enjoy the ride. Get to our destination in one piece. And more times than not sit down and break bread with my new found friends.

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
I am not a school or post rides for them to learn. I will be more than happy to discuss riding techniques with a newbie or even take them out for a one on one session at their pace. But I post group rides for the company and to enjoy the ride. The reason we line up with the fast guys first and slow guys last is so everyone can enjoy the ride at their level. Otherwise we would line up with the slow guy first to slow down the group. I want everyone at every level to enjoy the ride. Get to our destination in one piece. And more times than not sit down and break bread with my new found friends.
I like this......

I caught shit a few times during our old DT Runs to Strats back when I had my TLR - Hence the reason I do not post up "Group Rides" anymore - I might ask who is going but I am done with "Planning a Ride"

Well said Bro

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Moto-Sexual....

Sportbike: honda goldwing 1500se, yamaha gts1000, suzuki tl1000r
Years Riding: one month
How you found us: NickIF

Quote:
I think this list will scare some riders away. If they choose not to come from experience than I can respect that. But not because of some list is a misjustice.

I just led a ride with some noobies. I flat out told them my idea idea of slow could get them killed today. And I stressed like I do every time that "THERE IS NO NEED TO KEEP UP WITH THE MAN IN FRONT OF YOU! I WAIT AT EVERY ROAD CHANGE." Especially in larged group I gaurantee no man left behind.

I have also been known to say I am not your father or your babysitter on these rides. If you can't keep your own abilities in check that is not my fault. On my rides your not stressd to keep up so there is no reason to ride outside your abilites.

Lastly on my rides I make sure no one is riding crazy enough to effect other riders. Stuff like stunting in the group or passing in corners. I have actually got off my bike in the middle of a ride to warn people one last time. After that they would be asked to leave.

I have told many I would rather wait all day on the side of the road for a noobie to catch up than wait so much as 10 minutes in a hospital. As far as I am concerned unles I state "NO NOOBS WELCOME!" than they are more than welcome to come on my group rides. If they can keep their wrist in check I will make sure they never get lost and find their way home.

finished

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=78209
i kept up with you on the goldwing
does that count?....

Excuse me, while i kiss this Guy......

<-----Mr. Vern

Hit me up if you're looking for someone to ride with
773.469.2932....whoohoo! i can get texts now!. will get right back to ya
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Make my day!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBiker View Post
i kept up with you on the goldwing
does that count?....
Sure it does!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Joe--

Nothing against you bro at all (because i ENJOY riding with you) but you are faster than a newb. I would steer ANY newbie away from riding with you and more so a big old handfull of my friends. with that said....

I am not calling you out by no means but just setting a mindset for newbie riders.

And thanks for bringing this to light early in the season. TRUST me when i say i went way over my head quite a few times with Ody, Tony, Rabbit, Brian, and a few others in the beginning. I was just old enough to say Whoa!--(Or it could of been the ass pucker telling me but either way we all learn at a different pace and hopefully not by regrets..

I agree man. When I was new a few years ago I didn't know enough for my own damn good. You don't know what too hot is cause you don't know anything about riding, cornering speed, etc. Subconsciously, new folks are going to try to keep up. I think it is better to take your approach Labdog with new riders. Make specific newbie friendly rides where the pace as guarantied to be lowered by a huge degree. If the ride leader says the pace is going to be fast, newer riders should stay away, regardless if the leader is going to stop at sign. I have ridden with Wingit plenty of times any he never leaves anyone , but many newer riders just don't know enough for their own good to not attempt to keep up . People watch a few Hayden/Rossi videos and think it is as easy as apple pie .

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Make my day!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD View Post
I agree man. When I was new a few years ago I didn't know enough for my own damn good. You don't know what too hot is cause you don't know anything about riding, cornering speed, etc. Subconsciously, new folks are going to try to keep up. I think it is better to take your approach Labdog with new riders. Make specific newbie friendly rides where the pace as guarantied to be lowered by a huge degree. If the ride leader says the pace is going to be fast, newer riders should stay away, regardless if the leader is going to stop at sign. I have ridden with Wingit plenty of times any he never leaves anyone , but many newer riders just don't know enough for their own good to not attempt to keep up . People watch a few Hayden/Rossi videos and think it is as easy as apple pie .
Like I said I am not their father or babysitter. But if they are going to crash because they are not smart enough (which seems to be the concensus) then better they do it in a group rather than being alone.

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:57 PM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

Any body that has a hard time understanding that they are riding their bike and you are riding yours.

Is the eresponsible one

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Joe--

+1, good Post Kelly!!

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
I like your pace Joe, and I'm a noob.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
We need to add Mort82 to this list. I broke my leg following him.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohenchicago View Post
We need to add Mort82 to this list. I broke my leg following him.
No, technically you were following Joe who was following me
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
Oh Snap! Wingit!!

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
and the truth comes out

LOL

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohenchicago View Post
Oh Snap! Wingit!!
So, does that make me double dangerous?
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
Doh

And i've been on countless rides with Joe (wingit) and he has never left me...even though he's usually waiting for me

And we will always have the problem of people not being able to put their ego in check.......I NEVER want to see anyone get hurt or go down but unfortunately they usually have to learn the hard way.

ALWAYS ride your own ride!!!!
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
And we will always have the problem of people not being able to put their ego in check.......I NEVER want to see anyone get hurt or go down but unfortunately they usually have to learn the hard way.

I may come off cocky online, but every time I get on the bike, I remind myself of the crashes I've seen, the uncle I lost, and the cars that are out to kill me.

Good point
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post

they're new-they dont know the balance between their ego and abilities is
Thats why you build slow in both areas.
Theres more to being a leader than sorting out peoples abilities from front to back in the pack and waiting at turns.

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Like I said I am not their father or babysitter. But if they are going to crash because they are not smart enough (which seems to be the concensus) then better they do it in a group rather than being alone.
If you cant lead a ride that has a pace that everyone can handle then you shouldnt open it up to everyone, do it invite only. I for one along with a lot of others have a big problem with the ride your own ride crap. newbs have no clue what that means, thats why they are newbs, it's our responsibility to bring the newbs into this sport and teach them how to be safe and survive out in the real world. otherwise your just handing a 2 year old a gun and saying dont shoot yourself.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
otherwise your just handing a 2 year old a gun and saying dont shoot yourself.
You had me up to that sentence.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
You had me up to that sentence.
seems clear to me

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:35 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
seems clear to me
I know he is exaggerating to make a point, but that's a bit insulting.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Every motor needs a turbo

Sportbike: Had a Liquid Silver R1
Years Riding: longer than paved roads were common
How you found us: fellow rider

Joe,

I think we forget sometimes how it feels to be a noob. The ride we did on friday worked out. Those guys were very responsible and did a good job staying within their riding abilities. This was not really a group ride. This was me and you showed up for a ride and it wasnt organized well so we decided to go riding out south and anyone could join if they wanted to. The speech you gave before we left could not have been more crystal clear. We all had a great time and everyone rode safely. But there will be cases where some noob will try to keep up. I know...not your fault. But like some people said, lack of experience may be lack of keeping ego in check. I just dusted the cob webs off and tried to remember back when I first started riding on the street. i was young and inexperienced and I can remember trying to keep up with the fast guys and riding way beyond my abilities.

here something to think about though joe. That ride we did on friday. Me and you went pretty crazy at times. At any time did you feel uncomfortable or like you were riding past your ability? not once for me. A noob may feel like that the entire ride.

Im not sure what my point to all this is...I was just remembering back when I first started riding and how I cant believe I made it through alive lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode