Harley Davidson Questions - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Harley Davidson Questions

I have a friend who is looking at picking up a 2002 Fatboy for his first bike and despite my protesting he looks like he's going to go through with it, as such, I'm trying to help him make an informed purchase.

He's looking at an '02 Fatboy that has a ton of chrome on it and looks pretty epic for a Harley. It has a couple things that I'm unsure of and hopefully some of you all on here are better informed than I about HD.

It has a RoadKing front end on it now that the seller says was ordered that way from the factory. It also has custom paint that he said was a factory option that was later given a flame job. And lastly it has 5 spoke Mag wheels that were apparently a factory option. Does anyone know if HD actually does stuff like this from the factory?

If I called up Ducati and asked them for a set of Dymags on my Custom Roulette Green S4R with a Desmodeici front end, I'm pretty sure they'd laugh at me, but maybe HD is different.

Thanks in advance all.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:42 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
harley has a ginormous annual catalog with all kinds of "factory" accessories: paint, wheels, big bore, underwear, nose hair trimmers, etc, ect

and yes, you can custom order shit on a new bike before it's delivered
at least you could in 02
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Yes they do things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
it has to be put here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chrome_wont_help_you.jpg (24.1 KB, 40 views)

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Definitely on the paint and wheels...RK front end probably just means he wanted a windscreen.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Sportbike: 01' ZX-6R
Years Riding: since I've been able to get it up:)
How you found us: google

I work with the guys at Zylstra HD so I come acorss alot of avalible options for these bikes. To tell you the truth I think they are a rip off but to each is own.

I am aware that some years do have custom colors but which ones I don't know. Now a fat boy having a Roadking front end. Not too sure what all that is detailing but I do know that with the softail frams you can do alot of options with them from the show room floor. Also, I do know that mag's are also an option for most bikes.

If your buddy can. Have him take the bike up there and talk to Nick or Jake. They are good guys and can possible help him out.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
sounds normal, factory custom paint jobs will usually be numbered where the seat meets the tank, on each side 5/200 etc. like art

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

The factory has a custom paintshop that on all models you can order a custom paint package "designed" by you out of a catalog. Installing a Road King front end on a Softail is something I am unaware of, but considering how HD and the dealers do things...It's possible. If so, I'd bet it was quite expensive.
If he has his heart set on an HD...Hey...it's his money and he will be the one riding it. However, Softails do lack some of the niceties of the Glides or FXR's & Dyna's. The softails are not rubber mounted in the frame as the others are (unless that's changed recently) and as such are subject to much more vibration transferred to the rider.
If he's going to be riding with sportbike and foreign bike owners mostly...he might be better off looking for an FXR or Dyna model.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

My boy Rudy has a '02 Roadking. Most solid cruiser I have ever ridden. But since Smartdrug is involved, it's, "Here we go again".
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
My boy Rudy has a '02 Roadking. Most solid cruiser I have ever ridden. But since Smartdrug is involved, it's, "Here we go again".
Lol, the bike isn't for me. Truth be told, I think he's wasting his money. He's a great guy but he's also the guy who wanted a sportscar 4 years ago, went out and bought a Z4 with the 2.5l engine mated to an Automatic Tranny because he didn't like to shift... I think he just wants it for the HD panache, but hey, that's what HDs are for. I have a feeling it will be a passing fad, but who knows, maybe he'll get into it.

Thanks for the advice all, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
Lol, the bike isn't for me. Truth be told, I think he's wasting his money. He's a great guy but he's also the guy who wanted a sportscar 4 years ago, went out and bought a Z4 with the 2.5l engine mated to an Automatic Tranny because he didn't like to shift... I think he just wants it for the HD panache, but hey, that's what HDs are for. I have a feeling it will be a passing fad, but who knows, maybe he'll get into it.

Thanks for the advice all, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Just because you dont like them doesnt mean they are bad bikes. I loved mine and will more than likly buy another if this damn economy ever turns around. It's just a different kind of ride.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Just because you dont like them doesnt mean they are bad bikes. I loved mine and will more than likly buy another if this damn economy ever turns around. It's just a different kind of ride.
I like 'em, had a bad experience but I still like them. I wouldn't buy one unless I had money coming out of my ass but they're pretty cool.

The issue is that this is going to be his first bike...

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
I like 'em, had a bad experience but I still like them. I wouldn't buy one unless I had money coming out of my ass but they're pretty cool.

The issue is that this is going to be his first bike...
Have you ever turned a profit like you did with your HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Have you ever turned a profit like you did with your HD?
I got close on the FJ1200 but the HD took almost no work to sell. That being said, the price I paid for it was ridiculously low. If I had paid market price for it, I would have been bit in the ass quite badly. As I said, I was very upset and frustrated with the one I bought but I still think they're kind of cool. If I were to go the Cruiser route again, you can bet I'm going to be riding a V-Star instead but that's only because I have other things to do with my money. If it were no object, I'd be rocking a Murdered out Dyna like Bug or maybe a Midnight Onyx Warrior. I just don't pull enough money to make one seem sensible now. Guns, Gixxers and Miatas take priority.

As it pertains to my friend and this thread, can you imagine a worse beginner bike than a chromed out Fatboy? Maybe a Desmodeici but that's about it.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
, I'd be rocking a Murdered out Dyna like Bug
More than likly my next bike. Or maybe another E-glide with the new frame. I cant buy a Jap cruiser, I've had a few but thy just don't feel right.

- Ronald Reagan

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Ok, so I'm asking a new question now:

Which makes more sense to you HD guys both in terms of operating costs as well as resale.

1. 2002 FatBoy (Carburetor) with RK front end, HD Mag Wheels, Custom Flame paint, tons of extra silly chrome pieces (lightbar, belt drive, swingarm cover, forks, etc).
$11,500 OTD

2. 2009 FatBoy (Fuel Injected), brand new, bone stock, warranty, low interest financing, etc.
$16,000 OTD

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

the new one is going to be the 96" motor as opposed to the 88" that right there makes it worth it as its a simple top end rebuild to get to a 100+ CI motor. Plus fuel injection is huge.

But if he wants to make the new one look like the old one, he's gonna have 30K wrapped up into it in no time.

- Ronald Reagan

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Sportbike: ZRX 1100
Years Riding: 20 years

A fatboy with a roadking front end, whats the point he should just get a roadking. The fatboy was priced higher because it had a popular style. But the roadking is a much better cruiser. Infact the front end is what made it a fatboy. I loved my roadking but got tired of that type of riding, bored the hell out of me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tina's file 273.jpg (95.3 KB, 10 views)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Sportbike: ZRX 1100
Years Riding: 20 years

when the fatboy first came out my son and I would laugh because almost everyone we saw was riden by a middle aged guy that had a shaved head and a gotee.. No kidding
But I think thats most of the HD customer base now. I'm just not sure what comes first. Do you buy the bike then shave your head and grow the gotee? or does the bike come later.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
the new one is going to be the 96" motor as opposed to the 88" that right there makes it worth it as its a simple top end rebuild to get to a 100+ CI motor. Plus fuel injection is huge.

But if he wants to make the new one look like the old one, he's gonna have 30K wrapped up into it in no time.
Yup Yup - And thx for the Props SD - I do dig mine but it is by now means like a RK or even a FB - If those two choices were up to me, I would go with the older one as it has all the goodies already on it - The new 96 makes the 88 (mine) seem like a Moped but unless you are buying it to rip on, its a cruiser for fucks sake

I agree with Kruz - You can do ALL SORTS of shit to these bikes and the Og Owner prolly liked the the looks of the FB but wanted wind protection - He prolly had a good sales person who helped him get just what he wanted - If you have the dough to get just what you want, who gives a fuck what others might think or say - Good on 'em for doing what he wanted - I NEVER thought I would own one until I rode the below pictured bike that my buddy let me borrow - Within 2 weeks I had my own - Just look at that squidly smile on my face
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00575.jpg (131.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P7190205_2.jpg (80.5 KB, 10 views)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwglide View Post
when the fatboy first came out my son and I would laugh because almost everyone we saw was riden by a middle aged guy that had a shaved head and a gotee.. No kidding
But I think thats most of the HD customer base now. I'm just not sure what comes first. Do you buy the bike then shave your head and grow the gotee? or does the bike come later.

that's my dad! Well, he is already bald on top, just shaves the rest, has the goatee, and a Fatboy. He did start riding 25 years ago though, so it's not really a mid-life crisis. And for him, it's definately look first, then the Fatboy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode