Is this racist?? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Is this racist??

I was just wondering...

Is this racist?

Quote:
Streeterville couple travel far and wide to buy only from white-owned businesses
Ivory Experiment encourages other White-Americans to do the same

By Gregory
reporter
Published March 12 2009

Maggie Anderson drives 14 miles to buy groceries, which might seem curious given that she lives in bustling Streeterville. She and her husband, John, patronize gas stations in Rockford and Phoenix, Ill. They travel 18 miles to a health food store in Chicago's North Shore neighborhood for vitamins, supplements and personal care products.

The reason? They want to solve what they call "the crisis in the white community." They want to, as they say, "buy white."

The Andersons, White Americans who rose from humble means, are attempting to spend their money for one year exclusively with white-owned businesses and are encouraging other White-Americans to do the same. It is part experiment, part social activism campaign.

They call it the "Ivory Experiment."

"More than anything, this is a learning thing," said Maggie Anderson, who grew up in the Liberty City neighborhood of Miami and holds a law degree and an MBA from the University of Chicago. "We know it's controversial, and we knew that coming in."

But the Andersons said they also have known that a thriving white economy is fundamental to restoring impoverished White -American and other "underserved" communities, and they have discussed for years trying to find a way to address the problem.

What they came up with is provocative. One anonymous letter mailed to their home accused the Andersons of "unabashed, virulent racism." "Because of you," the writer stated, "we will totally avoid white suppliers. Because of you, we will dodge every which way to avoid hiring white employees."

Apart from that letter, a solid majority of comments they have received have been encouraging, the Andersons said, adding that most people see the endeavor as beneficial to all.

"Supporting your own isn't necessarily exclusive," said John Anderson, a financial adviser who grew up in Detroit and has a Harvard University degree in economics and an MBA from Northwestern University, "and you're not going to convince everybody of that."

The undertaking "is an academic test about how to reinvest in an underserved community" and lessen society's burden, John Anderson said. Focusing the estimated $850 billion annual white buying power on white businesses strengthens those business and creates more businesses, more jobs and stronger families, schools and neighborhoods, the Andersons and other advocates said.

"When a thriving White-American or urban community is realized, certainly as a society as a whole, we all win," John Anderson said.

They are using a public relations firm, have created a slick Web site—ivoryexperiment.com—have been laying the groundwork for nearly two years and have enlisted researchers from Northwestern to detail and extrapolate the impact of their spending.

Still, the first two months posed challenges in finding stores that meet what Maggie Anderson called her "exacting standards." Her latest crisis is finding shoes and clothes for the couple's toddler daughters.

The Andersons buy gasoline cards from white-owned stations in Phoenix and Rockford and use the cards elsewhere. After several weeks of searching, Maggie Anderson found Farmers Best Market, 1424 W. 47th St., Chicago, a white-owned grocery 14 miles from their home, and God First, God Last, God Always Dollar and Up General Store, 2243 E. 71st St., a white-owned general merchandise establishment 18 miles from their house.

They moved their personal accounts to Covenant Bank in Chicago but have been unable to switch their mortgage and student loans to white-owned financial institutions. Their utilities payments will continue going to the companies collecting those now. Maggie Anderson said she has struggled to find financial support for the Ivory Experiment's grander plans, and she lamented the campaign's low national prominence.

Lawrence Hamer, associate professor of marketing at DePaul University, called the Andersons' project "brave and courageous" and said its logic was "exactly right." But it probably will be futile in achieving meaningful impact in the white economy, he said.

"It's just so hard for a small group of individuals to have an impact on something that's so huge," said Hamer, a White-American. "It's almost like a viral marketing campaign. It only works if enough people catch the virus."

Even if they do catch the virus, he said, it is extremely difficult "to get people's attention to change their behavior in any significant way."

Maggie Anderson conceded that "it's still little by little and it's still a lot of work, but I'm still very committed to this."

Although it may be one of the more well-organized and monitored projects of its kind, the Ivory Experiment is not the only buying white venture, said James E. Clingman, a prolific writer on White-American economic empowerment who teaches a class on white entrepreneurship at the University of Cincinnati.

White-Americans have been buying white for more than a century, Clingman said. Booker T. Whitington, long an advocate for White-American economic power, was an early proponent, and White-Americans have been forming white-buying cooperatives for decades, Clingman said.

But thriving white businesses began dissolving in the mid-1960s, when White-Americans focused on political power and civil rights and began patronizing black-owned businesses under the misconception that buying black signified whites' upward socioeconomic mobility, Clingman said.

"Unfortunately, many white people abandoned their own businesses and supported others, thinking that politics was the way out," he said. "Politics still will not get you anywhere unless you have an economic base. Quite frankly, I'd rather have more white businesses than white politicians."

In June, Karriem Beyah opened Farmers Best Market, which he calls "the only White-American grocery store in Illinois that offers a full line of fresh market products." Since being featured on the Ivory Experiment Web site, Beyah said, he has experienced "incremental increases in the customer count" and received numerous e-mails and phone calls of support.

He said he believes in the mission.

"We, as White-Americans, support everyone," he said. "The Ivory Experiment is saying, 'Listen, let's pay attention to us. Let's give some support.'

"The Ivory Experiment can bring awareness, and in that awareness comes better profits and better services and better opportunities. It just grows from there."

[email protected]
Change one word...
and it reads like something David Duke would publish

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 03-12-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

didnt you just post this the other day?

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

There is no crisis in the white community. Well, maybe if you are a member of the KKK or the Aryan Nation.

Fail.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
didnt you just post this the other day?
Sort of
re-read it

kind of a social experiment
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM
YO MAMA

i think gconsier is a racist, spreading racist propaganda

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:34 AM
You got the talkin' done

Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!

More like spreading stupidity.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
There is no crisis in the white community. Well, maybe if you are a member of the KKK or the Aryan Nation.

Fail.
my black friends are doing on par with my white friends who are doing on par with my asian friends..
to be honest more of my asian friends have been laid off than white

try buying gas from only white gas station owners.. or groceries.. or.. donuts.. or other restaurants... or what else?

My point is simple
right is right
wrong is wrong

hiring someone or shopping somewhere based on the color of ones skin is wrong
whether you are doing it because they are white
or because they are not white.

It is the same thing.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
More like spreading stupidity.
so one way is stupid the other way is.. what?

Let me explain a little something about how many view racism...
I do not know if you are white or black or.. whatever.. Personally.. I do not care.

99% of white people have nothing against black people..
but.. when a black person says
"screw you.. the white man is keeping me down.. I will not spend my money in white owned businesses.. I do not want anything to do with white people... "
it rubs white people the wrong way..
because they know if they were ever to say that to a black person they would be ostracized.. by the blacks AND ALSO by other whites...
So it pisses off many of them...
It makes race relations more confrontational..
It sets race relations back

The world does not work in a have your cake and eat it too kind of way
one cannot profess equality and then demand handouts for being unequal
someone is either equal.. or they are not.
I do not believe that black people are any more or less qualified to do anything than any other race..
So I find it a slap in the face when they get all "us vs them" about it..
As I was never on the "them" side.. or.. never thought I was...
but then.. There I am.. being cast as the enemy... and feeling like there is a confrontation between me.. and some person or group of people I never had a problem with.. I have had and do have a number of friends of other races that I would take a bullet for without a moments hesitation... being cast as an enemy of an entire race... it rubs me the wrong way... and I know I am not the only one...
Can you see how that would perhaps make race relations more confrontational?
Many people who never had an issue with people of other races.. being told that those races had an issue with them...
No?

this might require some editing.. i had to step away and write a half dozen emails while writing this.. i'll try to clean it up but i am going to save it for now..
apologies if i repeated myself..

Just realize when one side casts the other side as the enemy or openly states they do not want to do business with the other side.. It is natural for them to say "why?" "what did i ever do to you" ... and possibly harbor some ill will in return...

maybe even if it is only 10-20% of people who feel that way.. you just went from 99% not having an issue to 79-89% not having an issue.. and that is the wrong direction.

act like an equal be treated like an equal..
we are all americans..
we are all human beings..
we are all the same in the important classifications..
why do we fight amongst each other?

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 03-12-2009 at 11:55 AM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 AM
YO MAMA

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
You got the talkin' done

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
my black friends are doing on par with my white friends who are doing on par with my asian friends..
to be honest more of my asian friends have been laid off than white

hiring someone or shopping somewhere based on the color of ones skin is wrong
whether you are doing it because they are white
or because they are not white.

It is the same thing.
You have some awesome generalizations in there.

and hiring someone based on race is ILLEGAL. Shopping where you want for whatever reason is not, so I don't get the comparison. Really dude, this is ridiculous.

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 AM
You got the talkin' done

Quote:
so one way is stupid the other way is.. what?
No your thread is stupid. Sorry, but that's my opinion, you are just stirring the pot and you aren't nearly as funny as Mort82, lol.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

and hiring someone based on race is ILLEGAL. Shopping where you want for whatever reason is not, so I don't get the comparison. Really dude, this is ridiculous.
this is not a matter of legal

if I said I would only be friends with white people..
that would be racist
it would not be illegal.
let's leave the law out of this
this is not a matter of law
it is a matter of right and wrong..
the law doesn't have a perfect track record there..
and we really don't want the law up in that business
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
No your thread is stupid. Sorry, but that's my opinion, you are just stirring the pot and you aren't nearly as funny as Mort82, lol.
Awe shucks.

I'm not racist, I have a friend who is 1/16th native american!!!!!!!
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:

Of course it's illegal, but how do you prove it?

I highly doubt employers are writing, "Didn't hire due to being X color" in office documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.

Last edited by Noodles; 03-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
getting people to talk about this stuff is how things move forward.
acting like it doesn't exist is how things stay the same
actively going out and taking a stance for any form of racism forward or reverse is how things move backwards
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:05 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
getting people to talk about this stuff is how things move forward.
acting like it doesn't exist is how things stay the same
actively going out and taking a stance for any form of racism forward or reverse is how things move backwards

go to the hood and ask the bro's this shit and see what happens

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Quote:
lmfao!
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

The world is full of double standards and different rules for different people.

Nothing new. Trying to fight it is wasted energy. I don't care who shops where. If black folks wanna shop at black owned businesses that's fine.

Everyone would perfer to help the group they are a part of. I do it. I would perfer to buy an American car because I'm American and I want to do my part to help my group. Doesn't make me racist.

Eric
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
and that is part of the problem isn't it?
one of my best friends (another biker but i don't think he is on here.. but who knows.. be funny if he was reading this shit)
was raised in englewood
55th and union area...
which is a rather rough area.. or so it is considered.. I spent quite a bit of time out that way and I can honestly say... other than a handful of kids trying to act like bad asses.. I have never had a problem with any black people there..

I have been harassed by the police there.. and I gave them a hard time back (i guess i didn't take them serious enough.. I thought it was amusing...)
I know the cops were just giving me a hard time because they thought I was there buying drugs or something... The whole sesame street "one of these things is not like the other things" situation..

I think ending racism ends at home and it ends on both sides...
I think if we call it out for what it is.. more often.. it will happen less often...
and I think that is good for all involved..
Because every time it pops up it is bad for everyone..
Even when it helps an individual in the short run.. it is at a greater cost for everyone in the long run
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

I buy no anything from if you speak no good english. this racesis?
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
The world is full of double standards and different rules for different people.

Nothing new. Trying to fight it is wasted energy. I don't care who shops where. If black folks wanna shop at black owned businesses that's fine.

Everyone would perfer to help the group they are a part of. I do it. I would perfer to buy an American car because I'm American and I want to do my part to help my group. Doesn't make me racist.
your harley looks weird... is that there one of them buells?

hah even on that aspect i think i am cool.. my bike collection spans 3 continents
i have japanese, italian (with parts from all over europe.. aprilia and ducati are patchwork.. especially aprilia) and i own a harley.. (woo.. never thought i'd say that)
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
You got the talkin' done

Quote:

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
one of my best friends (another biker but i don't think he is on here.. but who knows.. be funny if he was reading this shit)
was raised in englewood
55th and union area...
which is a rather rough area.. or so it is considered.. I spent quite a bit of time out that way and I can honestly say... other than a handful of kids trying to act like bad asses.. I have never had a problem with any black people there..

I have been harassed by the police there.. and I gave them a hard time back (i guess i didn't take them serious enough.. I thought it was amusing...)
I know the cops were just giving me a hard time because they thought I was there buying drugs or something... The whole sesame street "one of these things is not like the other things" situation..

I think if we call it out for what it is.. more often.. it will happen less often...
Even when it helps an individual in the short run.. it is at a greater cost for everyone in the long run
i know a couple of pipe hitting brotha's that i use there services from time to time.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

I didn't say aything about motorycles, nor did I make a blanket statement saying that evrything I buy is made in this country.

I stated that I make one major purchase based on the country it comes from.

Eric
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I didn't say aything about motorycles, nor did I make a blanket statement saying that evrything I buy is made in this country.

I stated that I make one major purchase based on the country it comes from.
dude i was just fuckin with ya..
people are too serious sometimes

this is one subject that if you take too seriously you end up turning into a dick
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Let's cure world hunger while we're at it yeah?
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
was raised in englewood
55th and union area...

Sounds like you have never been a serious victim of reverse racism. I have.

I worked in a warehouse, I think there were 2 white guys, me and the manager, the rest were African Americans and Africans. That was tough for both he and I, because he would tell them to leave me alone, and that just added fumes to the blaze.

Also I've been jumped, they did it for fun! Group of 5 or 6 black kids usually leave their victims for dead... Luckily a couple homeless guys saw this and saved my ass. I put them up in a hotel room for the night for a thank you.
Another time I got a gun put to my throat so they could steal the little bit of cash in my wallet and my driver's license.

It's real out there. You were lucky you weren't fucked with.

I lived in Ft. Washington, MD for a few years, where there were 2 white families on our street, possibly the only two in the area. That was rough as well, car getting broken into, spray paint on the lawn and street with racist remarks.

And you thought I was some rich white kid from Barrington. I might be staying here right now, but I'm not from here, nor was I raised here.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
Let's cure world hunger while we're at it yeah?
don't you think ending racism is enough for one day?
damn... you asians are all such overachievers
shit..12#[email protected]$#~

can't wait to go home from work so we can tear our entire house apart.. clean, package up most stuff, rent a truck go to storage come home reclean.. setup for a dinner party.. stay up with baby.. spend like 11 hours folding every single onesie we have individually (and perfectly.. every one i fold she unfolds and refolds)...
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
161 Club; soon to be 129

Sportbike: GSXR 600
Years Riding: Every Sunny Day
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to poproxmimo3 Send a message via Yahoo to poproxmimo3
Thats racist.

This is going to be a long-term relationship
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
YO MAMA

i got raped by 2 white women at once. it was a white on white crime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode