Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Have you ever?

3K views 103 replies 31 participants last post by  sqrly 
#1 ·
Ridden an RC51.

These bikes just have something about them that the others don't.

Sorry Mr.gsxr for the win, But I've had the pleasure of riding many bikes over the years (many gsxr's) they're great but they're just another race replical.

The RC51 is all that and special.I'm not telling anybody the51 is faster or better but it does have something most of these other bikes don't.

HRC for the win.

#44 ·
Said umph is best recognized coming out of a corner as the twin allows you to get the power down quicker - In a drag race, an I4 will run it down everytime

#45 ·
The hype isnt how fast it is Ken. Its a Vtwin to compete against 750's not 1000's on the track. A well sorted out 600 would wip the shit out of an RC. The RC is very heavy. When you compare it to other bike you need to compare it to other vtwins not inlines

#46 ·
Hey who said i was givin it all its might??? lol Actually the new 600s hang with it up to 100mph and 1st gear is no good for racing on two wheels.

#48 · (Edited)
Ill be the first to say the RC is definately not for everyone. Once again it all comes down to preference. Ken Ill see ya out there this season and we'll give it a good head to head. I tell ya now id put money on you.

#52 ·
I loved mine. It was nice to have something a little different than the million jixers on the road. I didn't buy it to be the fastest bike on the road. The low end grunt that the 51's have is awesome, no waiting around for revs to feel hard acceleration. They are not for everyone, but most people that have owned them, love them. Plus it's a Honda which pretty much always equals good build quality and a bullet proof motor. I would buy another one without the slightest hesitation.

#54 ·
Not to mention I LOBVE engine braking and ANY twin does this oh so nicely

#62 ·
I've found a lower RPM motor is just that much less work to ride fast.

#71 ·
Not a problem for me

#76 ·
I don't know your riding history or experience level, but it just might be your right hand. I ran several maps and never had an issue with on/off throttle jerkiness. My 51 had a hair trigger for a throttle, almost like it was a 1/4 turn throttle. Smooth, deliberate movements are a must

#79 ·
i fell head over heels in love with the rc51 the first time i ever saw one. lots of bikes are more comfortable, more expensive and cooler looking, but none of them speak to me like the rc51. my heart skips a bit, my eyes widen and my smile is uncontrollable the moment she roars to life.

i don't care that friends outrun me. i don't care that it's so heavy i can't put it on the rear stand without help. i don't care that it runs at 220 degrees on an average summer afternoon. i don't care about any of those things. the moment i begin to roll, i have no regrets.

#81 ·
Any one for some sqrl stew? I've got the riffle ready to go

J/K

there's room for your SOFTLY spoken opinion here.

#86 ·
Any one for some sqrl stew? I've got the riffle ready to go

J/K

there's room for your STRONGLY spoken opinion here.
There I fixed it for you.

And Res, I am softining my opinion. If I wrote my full opinion of the bike, I would have ALL of the Honda SWAT team aiming at me.:lmao:

#83 ·
Here is my best way to describe the difference...

Vtwins are like driving a car with a supercharger. All power all the way through.

I4's are like driving a car with a turbo. All the power is on top.

#84 ·
The problem all you fruits have with your RC's and jerky throttles is your lugging the fucker. Its like a car with a turbo, you gotta think more, you gotta be in the right gear in the right revs. I only have a hair trigger throttle problem and a jerky jerk problem when below 3000 rpm. Keep it right at 3500-4000 and it is fine. Your all a bunch of pussys.

Oh yeah and that Two Brothers Map for the PCIII sucks donkey, it had my bike running lean as shit around idle and mid throttle. I got the dyno graph with wide band to prove it. Even with that still made 110hp and 73tq from 3700RPM to 10000RPM

#85 ·
MM your right. Mine HATED to be below 3K. Its a happy high rev'r bike.

#88 ·
Agree.... It's a twin that's tuned like a Four.

The 929 Was a four that was ( midrange) tuned like a twin.

Compare the dyno charts sometime.... it's scary.

Ridden correctly...... the FI still sucked.

Tom

#87 ·
That's good stuff my friend

#90 ·
Ok, I'll throw my hat in the ring. The RC51 indeed is a quality machine, but you really need to hop on a Speed Triple. There's nothing like the inline three. I'm still waiting for Triumph to make a superbike again.....say a "big" Daytona. Rumor has it......;)
Maybe I'm just bias.........

#94 ·
There's nothing like the inline three. I'm still waiting for Triumph to make a superbike again.....say a "big" Daytona.
I have also heard talk of a 1050 Daytona. Two years ago I had a '02 955i. Plenty of power, but bulky and a little slow to respond. The 675 would give that bike a good run on the street. I considered a S3 when I sold the 996, but the price was right on the 675. IMHO, if you want performance in a triple, 675. All around fun bike, S3. That being said, the only I4 bike I have ever really ridden was a speed four and my old katana. I'd like to try a newer i4 bike this summer.

#91 ·
This guy thought it was an OK ride...

My friend has a RC, I have ridden it a few times. I always thought it was a little too uncomfortable, but everything else about it was awesome. One of my favorite bikes ever made.

#93 · (Edited)
Most of the negative comments are easily fixed with the free mods off the rc51.org site, as Steve mentioned. A power commander and a good map does wonders for the fuel injection. Suspension work is in order unless your 250lbs plus.

Great street bike, not so great track bike.

That said, quite a few guys have won regional championships with the 51. Most recent was Bud Anderson on a 2000 model in 2006.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.