Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Scary Moment for Me

1K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  GixxerDave 
#1 ·
Wow! I went to my son's baseball practice today and towards the end of the practice he got hit with a line drive right to the chest over his heart. He looked surprised and then he collapsed. It was probably the most scary moment of my life. He eventually stood up and I was able to take him home. My wife is in nursing school and her dad is a doctor. After some consultation and examination he appears to be alright. Even though, I am scarred. I don't know what it is but I feel guilty.

He is doing well, but I can't help but think about the incident. I have never seen anything like this in my life and it was super scary. I am now re-thinking everything that I have ever done and everything that I will ever do. I don't know why I am sharing this with the board, but I do know that I have taken for granted my family so I hope that others will appreciate the experience and appreciate what they have.

#2 ·
I suppose things change drastically when you're a father, but as a lifelong participant in baseball both as a coach and a player, that sort of thing happens...as scary as it is. I've seen a tooth put through a cheek, legs broken sliding into second, bruised kidneys, etc, etc...super glad the little guy is alright. Here's to a good father being involved in and supportive of his sons interests and passion.

:cheers

Edit: Don't feel guilty Joe, it's all part of growing up...being active and adventurous. Not so different from what we do here on the board, eh;)

#3 ·
I suppose things change drastically when you're a father, but as a lifelong participant in baseball both as a coach and a player, that sort of thing happens...as scary as it is. I've seen a tooth put through a cheek, legs broken sliding into second, bruised kidneys, etc, etc...super glad the little guy is alright. Here's to a good father being involved in and supportive of his sons interests and passion.

:cheers
Thanks. I was shaking for a long time after this happened, but the funny thing is that I want him to get back out there and keep going because that it important to both him and me.

#4 ·
+1 with cerk. were they using alum bats or wood? because they say alum bats hit harder on baseballs then wooden ones do...

regardless, damn glad to hear your son is alright man...

#6 ·
Thanks. He is fine, but I am shaken up more than he is. I don't know about you but seeing my son falling after being hit was damn scary for me. I love him unconditionally and still I can see that scene happing over and over in my mind and I feel guilty for some reason.

#11 ·
its just a hard hit man, dont worry about him falling over like that, I did lots, and lots. and lots o dumb stuff when younger so I got injured allot, thats why they always have you sit down and not try to walk around.

I once had a mechanic jump the truck and he got part of his nail ripped off from the alternator fan, took him inside to control the bleeding and he fell over and I had to catch him / prop him against the fridge.

big guy like that kinda puts it in perspective when his only injury was a bit of nail pulled off, your son just got a whopper! to the chest. say kudos and go punch him in the shoulder call him a pussy for not catching it at the same time, before he thinks his dads a sissy :)

Hopin I made ya smile :)

Naturally still keep an eye on him due to internal bruising that can affect him, but thankfully your family lives in the medical field will help with the warning signs if there were any issues.

#15 ·
Agreed, its strange tho but I have made connections with people here that understand where I am coming from and it makes it easier for me to talk to them.

I am a rare breed as well as those that I am referencing. I feel comfortable talking with them because they see the same lines that I do.

you can always pick up good perception from anyone on here and its always a takeorathrowback. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

#16 ·
i would feel the same, look after him as a father and protector and turn your head but hold out your hand when he gets hurt if that makes any sense.

other wise, be his daddy but as they age that extended hand IF needed to go to dadda is always there for him.

something i never had

#21 ·
It's always better to let the heavy worries out elsewhere (like here) than in front of them... And yes, life is often taken for granted, and moments like this are what make us stop smell the roses and enjoy life for what it is and appreciate things a little more.

#23 ·
Joe, I'm very glad he's alright. That had to be scary as hell.

The possibilities of being hurt very badly are kind of slim, not that it can't happen though. I lost a friend in little league to a pitch in the chest. His dad was the coach, at the time. I felt so bad for him.

I keep that memory in the back of my mind everyday. Using it to make the best of being a parent as I can.

#25 ·
good to hear he is ok, is he a pitcher?

there is some risk from gettin hit in the chest, if the impact come at the right(wrong) instant it can cause the heart to stop

a chest protector is available,it significantly lessens the impact energy to the chest adn lengthens its duration further reducing an already low risk and is pretty discreet if i remeber from the article I saw about this a while back.

#26 ·
Thanks for the concern guys. He is doing well this morning and even had a moment of some break dancing so I think he'll be alright. He was even throwing the ball around some so I hope he can get right back onto the field without any issues.

He was playing first base and our hardest hitter was at bat and smoked on down the line. It was so fast that he didn't have time to get the glove on it because it was kind of a surprise. From now on when that kid is batting everyone needs to be alert and move back to the grass I guess.

#27 ·
Its the game man. Moving back to the grass will only open up bunting. Pitchers are in the worst position. Closest to the plate, and already off balance, so being able to react is hindered.

Keeping your head in the game is the only effective way. Even then issues will turn up. Its the nature of the game.

Goodluck to him.

I loved playing first base. I also enjoyed pitching.

#28 ·
Glad he is okay! I'm not looking forward to the day when my daughter gets her first real injury like a broken bone, stitches, etc. I know it'll happen but it will probably hurt me a lot more than her. I can understand why it freaked you out so badly.

#30 ·
Glad he's ok. That's part of the game, but I feel your pain being a father and all... My buddy got a hard direct hit to his junk. Ball was fast enough to invert his cup. That wasn't a pretty sight... Seeing his father run over, and rip his pants along with the cup to relieve pressure was something no one wants to see/do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.