Insurance Traffic Cameras - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Insurance Traffic Cameras

This just hit #1 story on digg...
Good old Chicago.. Staying on top even without Blago

Seems people have been good at beating down stupid legislation lately.. Good luck on this one (IMHO if Daley wants to do something.. and everyone else but him thinks it's a bad idea .... He will do it anyway)

In any case...

Wow... What's next?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...et-deficit.ars

Quote:

Traffic cameras billed as answer to Chicago's budget deficit

Red-light cameras have been combined with short yellow lights to catch drivers and raise city revenues across the country. Now an insurance-checking camera company has presented Chicago with a new twist on the idea—instead of speeders, go after the uninsured.

The Windy City, like a lot of other metropolitan areas of late, is facing major budget deficits in the face of the recession's strong bite. State and local governments alike have been hunting for additional sources of revenue, so it's not surprising that a Chicago alderman would entertain the possibility of installing red light cameras along the city's major thoroughfares and intersections. This time around, though, the company trumpeting the addition of these digital watchdogs isn't portraying them as useful tools for catching speeders—instead, camera provider InsureNet claims to have developed "a simple yet complete answer that delivers totally accurate, instant insurance status verification. An additional unique advantage is that this system is also non-invasive, ensuring protection for every insurer and policyholder."

The Chicago Sun-Times quotes InsureNet president Dr. Jonathan Miller on what the city might expect to earn with the system in 2009. "Certainly, it will be well in excess of $100 million," Dr. Miller said. "We think at least $200 million. And the upward projections are far higher." InsureNet would charge a collection fee of "just" 30 percent in exchange for its services. Clearly, this type of system—installed at no small cost—is all about making money.

InsureNet's website and supporting documents (PDF) are so thickly slathered with PR frosting that it's hard to ascertain how the company's system actually works. Sweeping statements are a way of life; the InsureNet system "addresses all problems...stream(lines) the entire vehicle insurance process...provides dramatic benefits...saves and provides the average State Government with hundreds of millions of dollars annually and saves the Insurance Industry even more." But wait, there's MORE:

InsureNet is provided free of charge to law enforcement agencies, private residents, and vehicle insurers, 24/7/365. The National Law Enforcement Communication System (NLETS) it uses has never been compromised, the company assures us, and the entire InsureNet system actually lets insurance companies do less than they do now. Finally, if you haven't had enough by now, InsureNet is safer, "totally accurate," and provides all parties "with reliable, automatic, and totally safe data which is completely free of all personal details." Got all that?

Even if we assume that InsureNet's database and citation system works well and accept the company's allegation that nearly one-in-four drivers on the road is uninsured (the Insurance Research Council, or IRC, estimates the rate may hit one-in-six by 2010), there are serious questions to consider when evaluating who, exactly, is going to pay the city of Chicago the several hundred million that Dr. Miller is dangling in front of the cash-strapped aldermen.

In a recent report (PDF), the IRC wrote that it "found a strong correlation between the percent of uninsured motorists and the unemployment rate: An increase in the unemployment rate of one percentage point is associated with an increase in the uninsured motorist rate of more than three-quarters of a percentage point."

It's not hard to connect the dots on this one. If unemployed workers are the most likely to cancel their insurance, and InsureNet's system targets the uninsured, than the city of Chicago would, in effect, be balancing the books on the shoulders of those least able to afford it. Indeed, the city could find itself confronting a virtual mob of angry citizens who are funding social services and unemployment benefits out of their own unemployment checks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Fucking great
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
161 Club; soon to be 129

Sportbike: GSXR 600
Years Riding: Every Sunny Day
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to poproxmimo3 Send a message via Yahoo to poproxmimo3
okay lets see....
Changed marshall fields to macy
cominsky park to us cellular
sears to willis
"the windy city" to "grab your ankles and vasaline city"

fuck it, i got full coverage. but gasp!!! no city sticker.... gasp!!! wait i do.

This is going to be a long-term relationship
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

what about those of us ... err... i mean other people who have a bunch of similar enough bikes and only one plate they move around.. the cameras arent going to be smart enough to say "hey that's a silver sv not a silver gsxr" are they?

seriously though...
how 1984 is this shit going to get?
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

im all for it, Fuck it, the cheap fucks shouldnt be driving with no insurance anyways. Easy money especially in Chi. If i have to pay my $ every fuckin month then some fuckin loser with no insurance better pay something too. I dont see how any law abiding citizen can have a problem with this, how may times do you hear about some fuck stick illegal, slaming into someone or killing them and Jorge didnt have insurance, gets deported and guess who gets fucked. So i say installem, ill even donate $20 bucks to get it started. I bet youll get Laraza, al Sarpton and Jesse down there protesting the shit saying it discriminatory. Fuck EM!

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Pringles can user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
what about those of us ... err... i mean other people who have a bunch of similar enough bikes and only one plate they move around.. the cameras arent going to be smart enough to say "hey that's a silver sv not a silver gsxr" are they?

seriously though...

Sounds like Dems to me!

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Pierced & tattooed freak!

Sportbike: 1999 GSX-R750
Years Riding: "None of your bleepin' business!" - Joe Pesci
How you found us: Read about it in a fortune cookie

CATHOLIC CHURCH TO INSTALL NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH CAMERAS
Thursday March 19, 2009 - AP

In an effort to save the Catholic church, who is financially challenged due to the enormous number of child molestation lawsuits, has said they will be installing jerk-off cameras in neighborhoods across the country, pointing them into the homes of you and your neighbors.

Father Patty O'File of the Holy Fathers of Sodom church of Boystown Nebraska is leading the effort to get these cameras installed in every neighborhood as soon as possible.

"It is a sin in the eyes of the Lord to jerk off" says O'File. "If we can't have sex with underage boys, nor jerk off, then no one else should be allowed to either."

O'File says that the fines, $100 for the first offense, and then doubling for each subsequent one, will be mailed to each sinner's house, along with a picture of the infraction. The funds will be deposited into the church legal defense fund. The pictures will also be posted on the church's website, http://www.comeuntome.org, along with the names and address of each offender, to instill further guilt and shame, as well as to deter potential future offenders.

Dante: [to Randal] You never go ass-to-mouth!
Randal: [to Dante] Would you grow up!
Becky: [to Dante] OK, I'm only telling you this because we're friends, but sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's forgivable to go ass-to-mouth.
Randal: [chuckling] Ha! I knew it.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnat View Post
im all for it, Fuck it, the cheap fucks shouldnt be driving with no insurance anyways. Easy money especially in Chi. If i have to pay my $ every fuckin month then some fuckin loser with no insurance better pay something too. I dont see how any law abiding citizen can have a problem with this, how may times do you hear about some fuck stick illegal, slaming into someone or killing them and Jorge didnt have insurance, gets deported and guess who gets fucked. So i say installem, ill even donate $20 bucks to get it started. I bet youll get Laraza, al Sarpton and Jesse down there protesting the shit saying it discriminatory. Fuck EM!
Im with you on that one!
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM
161 Club; soon to be 129

Quote:
george orwell?

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

saw this as one of the comments on digg...
i imagine some of this is bs... but to be honest it's getting harder to separate the tinfoil hat from the "yeah... they can do that shit now" hat

Quote:
The website for this Big Brother company is here: http://www.theinsurenet.com/

And check out this lovely document: http://www.theinsurenet.com/media/RFI.pdf

It proposes their system cover the roads with a comprehensive net that not only tracks license plate numbers, but also RFI frequencies (so if your driver's license has an RFI chip, they will know not only the status of the vehicle, but who was in it).

It will instantly ticket you if your insurance papers are not in order (no late payments) or if your DMV records have problems as well.

They brag that their system will bring up your records to any cop or DMV agent in two seconds or less.

"The system should be connected to every law enforcement agency and officer in the Nation in order to assist in enforcing the State’s laws - The system should be connected to INTERPOL, DHS/ICE, and fully support Hot Lists, Amber Alerts, etc. notifications for both law enforcement and DMV"

- And there's the real intention of it - TRACKING - at any time they will be able to access the system to find out what camera last spotted you and when.
That said.. I don't imagine they could ticket the vehicle for having an uninsured driver in the car.. That makes no sense.. but hey if they have dept of revenue do it.. Maybe.. Seems they don't have rules

I know the new license has rfid.. but I highly doubt it is of sufficient strength to be read from the side of the road through a door as you drive by.. That said I do not "know" that.. I just strongly doubt they are capable of doing that..

I'd go read the PR crap on their website.. but.. it's 5 minutes till lunch time.. and maintaining my big fat assedness is more important than trying to change Daleys world
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Quote:

seriously though...
Dealer plate FTMFW!!! This city is really starting to suck. There are other ways to generate revenue. Do it the Stroger way. Raise taxes, say screw you that is the way it is, and they can deal with it or move.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought at first as well but then I remembered that all this camera crap is just turning in to a landslide and it's momentum can carry over to other forms of surveillance. Basically, when does it gonna end?
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
i imagine some of this is bs... but to be honest it's getting harder to separate the tinfoil hat from the "yeah... they can do that shit now" hat

That said.. I don't imagine they could ticket the vehicle for having an uninsured driver in the car.. That makes no sense.. but hey if they have dept of revenue do it.. Maybe.. Seems they don't have rules

I know the new license has rfid.. but I highly doubt it is of sufficient strength to be read from the side of the road through a door as you drive by.. That said I do not "know" that.. I just strongly doubt they are capable of doing that..

I'd go read the PR crap on their website.. but.. it's 5 minutes till lunch time.. and maintaining my big fat assedness is more important than trying to change Daleys world
oh crap, i'm gonna go tin foil my DL now
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
That's what I thought at first as well but then I remembered that all this camera crap is just turning in to a landslide and it's momentum can carry over to other forms of surveillance. Basically, when does it gonna end?
hahaha
I actually posted a comment on digg saying something like that

Quote:
gconsiergconsier
13 minutes ago
when does it gonna stop?
Daley and Stroger quit punishing us with all of these fees, fines, taxes, charges, licenses, taxes on taxes, sin taxes, luxery taxes, why the hell not taxes etc etc etc..... 13.25% tax for a bottle of Gatorade or Iced Tea but Oreos are considered food?
Businesses are leaving, people are leaving, nobody buys anything in the city anymore except for essentials (why buy appliances in Chicago when you can drive a half hour and save a few hundred $$$'s in taxes.. Let alone get the items cheaper as they aren't at "city prices"
I love this city... but really.. there aren't too many straws left before this back is broken...
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
oh crap, i'm gonna go tin foil my DL now
microwave aught to do the trick
or a few whacks with a hammer
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM
161 Club; soon to be 129

Quote:
microwave aught to do the trick
or a few whacks with a hammer
thank you

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:

seriously though...
Just plug a webcam into your cable box (or perhaps even the cable modem or telco-connected PC?) and the Telescreen is fully functional. With the cooperation already in place between cable cos and LEO, this will be the way they bust you for smoking (whatever) in your living room.

Quote:

There's no way that they can run your plate, check and see if your insurance is current, then mail you a ticket without using personal information.

You are now required to fill in your insurance info on each plate renewal form in IL. I'm guessing that this info is entered into the LEO computers and then is accessed along with the plate to see if you are insured. of course, the monkey wrench in this is that plate expiration and insurance policy due dates don't coincide, so for instance, my bike plate expires 3/31 while my bike insurance expires 5/12. So I guess I'd get a citation for expired insurance if the camera sees me on the street after 5/12? Then I'm faced with either just paying it, or taking a day off from work to fight it? Even though I've actually had continuous coverage all the time.

Just wait till the VIN number is in an RFID tag. (You gotta assume that's coming.) Then those who move plates will be really screwed, cause the roadside RFID reader will see the plate and VIN not match and issue a stolen plate/vehicle report!

What a pain!

Craig
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
a few credit cards come with RFID tags as well for a paypass thing

the chip is very easily found and destroyed if you have a good bright flash light you can see the shadow of the chip then its as simple as putting a nail tip through it, do it on a hard surfave adn it will hardle even mark up the card at teh same time. Ive had 2 debit cards come in now with this and both got the same treatment and neither work in stores

as for rfid not being able to read that far, remember I-pass works on RFID

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 PM
TERRAdactyl

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: on the street since 01
How you found us: accidentally stepped in it

Send a message via Yahoo to catwlights
Cameras are my nemesis. I am such a naughty girl! Im gonna bet getting in so much trouble in coming years.... or I will be bored.... or both.

Terra
STT Staff
Midwest Instructor
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Pushing the Limits of Life's Opportunities
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
The insurance information is supposed to come directly from insurance providers. They are supposed to work out a deal with insurance companies to send reports to leo of people who did not renew their insurance. I do not think they worked out all the details as how to address the situations where someone changes their insurance company.

Greg

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Pringles can user

Its funny how art imitates life!

Heres our future - for all the 20 somethings an old Rush Classic

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

My uncle has a country place, that no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm, before the motor law
And on sundays I elude the eyes and hop the turbine freight
To far outside the wire, where my white-haired uncle waits.

Jump to the ground
As the turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me, an old machine ---
For fifty-odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
A brilliant red barchetta, from a better, vanished time
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime...

Wind in my hair ---
Shifting and drifting ---
Mechanical music ---
Adrenalin surge ---

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Suddenly, ahead of me, across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires, to run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley as another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, Ive got a desperate plan

At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded
At the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle
At the fireside...

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
love that album of rush!

and more cameras???!

So when's this global catastrophe supposed to come in and wipe away all this crap?? (except my motorcycle )

- Steve
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:
Originally Posted by catwlights View Post
Cameras are my nemesis. I am such a naughty girl! Im gonna bet getting in so much trouble in coming years.... or I will be bored.... or both.

prove it

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Yeah I read about this 4 days ago. It's unreal. Not only another form of privacy invasion but now another source of internal crime that could come from a subcontractor constantly running your idienity aswell as this load of further fucking the people of Chicago. Fuck you mayor and gov!

post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:31 PM
TERRAdactyl

^ Oh look who decided to get out of bed. Don't move too quickly to the kitchen for breakfast, you might get photographed and ticketed, there, Ken.

Terra
STT Staff
Midwest Instructor

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
Yeah I read about this 4 days ago. It's unreal. Not only another form of privacy invasion but now another source of internal crime that could come from a subcontractor constantly running your idienity aswell as this load of further fucking the people of Chicago. Fuck you mayor and gov!

post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:

I think the thing to note here is they are saying the people that are increasingly becoming uninsured are doing so because they don't have the money to pay for it. If they aren't paying insurance what are the odds they will be paying these fines? So where is this $200M going to come from?

The city will be out of pocket for the install of the system, and they will be getting pressure from the company to get them the money they think they should be getting. So what happens? More money comes out of the pockets of everyone else.

This is above and beyond the privacy issues.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM
TERRAdactyl

Good point on that Broke Criminal and no revenue. I never thought of it that way. Costs extend to court time, etc too.

Terra
STT Staff
Midwest Instructor

post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

Quote:
Jorge never gets deported for that , or practically any other crime , even murder , especially in this retarded sanctuary city , the dems need those votes and gay ass father pfleger uses them for publicity
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwlights View Post
Good point on that Broke Criminal and no revenue. I never thought of it that way. Costs extend to court time, etc too.
Not to mention...
Who knows where the plates of the cars illegals are driving around without insurance are registered to... I doubt they register them to themselves.. I don't think they can..
Although it would be interesting to see what happened there... from a disassociated point of view...

While the law might not be able to find them.. You bet your ass those collection agents will [email protected]#[email protected] hahaha.. They'll be showing up at their houses.. calling their cell phones.. annoying their grandparents back in mexico.. Where the govt has failed.. Collection agents will annoy those illegals right back to mexico.. or at least off the grid (they'd probably even track down their cheezy ass pay as you go phones.. there really is no escape)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode