So I hit a biker yesterday... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

So I hit a biker yesterday...

Really not so much I hit as he hit me...
and by biker I mean one of those food delivery guys...
I feel pretty crappy about it.. He didn't seem hurt.. I gave him my name and cell.. haven't heard from him... screwed the door of my car up pretty good too -- Stopped by the place he worked later that night, but it had closed at 9pm (i went around 9:30..)

So here is what happened...

My inlaws car is in my parking spot, so I had to find street parking.. I parked on the little side street behind my house (Briar)

There was someone double parked on the left side of the st (it is a 1 way.. and barely tight enough for a car to fit past the other car when people do this.. it's pretty much 1 lane)

I crack the door and I am grabbing the bag of food of the passenger seat.. I check the mirror really quick to make sure a car isn't coming thru as I knew they would be way to my side.. see nothing... open the door maybe 6" to a 1' and he bings right into it...

The only thing I can think of is perhaps he was very close to the cars, and since the door was open a tad the angle of the mirror wasn't down the side of my vehicle but out a bit more...

At first I thought he might try to take a swing at me... He was rather unhappy.. One of my toolbox neighbors (my wife refers to the couple as the cute asian girl and the dorkyass white guy.. they have a border collie mix as well - so .. i know them (we walk our dogs in the same place) comes in to try to help.. this guy is acting like I did it on purpose.. I explained if I was trying to kill him I would have used the car when it was in motion, not parallel parked.. I think he realized that a fight probably would not have ended well.. So we exchange info and go about on our way.. ( i made no moves towards a fight - in case that was read in that way)

In any case.. I feel pretty crappy about it
and my window won't roll down.. and my door won't close right.

I know Chicago has some rule on the books that whenever you park you are required to get out of the car on the passenger side... but really that's not realistic anymore.. might have been in the days of bench front seats when it was written.. but there is no way I am crawling over and through a WRX everytime I park.. Nobody does this.. It's just kept on the books because it's there.. and it's another thing to ticket and or assess blame on...

Hope the guy is ok..

This ever happen to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

You got any idea how many times they've hit others? I've been hit by them reckless piece of [email protected]# countless times!!!!

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:11 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

How did you hit him it sounds like you opened your door and he hit you

I wont have given him shit most of them are pricks

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meulen View Post
You got any idea how many times they've hit others? I've been hit by them reckless piece of [email protected]# countless times!!!!
Oh I know... You work down here you hear the stories..
I have had "friends of friends" who were messengers..

I think the asstard neighbor was trying to get him worked up or to try to get him to sue me...

The guy stayed on the ground a good 3 or 4 minutes.. I offered to help him up.. he couldn't have been going more than a few mph.. he hit my car and only went forward maybe to the front tire before he fell..

The asstard neighbor was like "i ride my bike and I know how insensitive these cars can be... blah blah"

I told wife next time I see him I am going to have my dog beat his dog up
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
How did you hit him it sounds like you opened your door and he hit you

I wont have given him shit most of them are pricks
that is what happened
and i believe they call that car fault.. because you are supposed to slide over and exit vehicle curb side.. which.. nobody does.. but like all laws.. it's still on the books 6 or 7 decades later
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:17 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
that is what happened
and i believe they call that car fault.. because you are supposed to slide over and exit vehicle curb side.. which.. nobody does.. but like all laws.. it's still on the books 6 or 7 decades later
LMFAO he hit a parked car his fault end of story. And that entering exiting on the curb side isnt for passenger cars its for taxi's bus etc etc

Should have laughed and asked if he was ok can i help you upon receiving the reply of no walk away like it didn't happen

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
that is what happened
Then just say you weren't exiting, say you were checking to make sure the door was completely shut. I doubt there is a law on the books that says it's illegal to open the outside door when parked. Since it was only open a couple inches, fuck the guy, he wasn't paying enough attention and/or riding way too close to the cars.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
Then just say you weren't exiting, say you were checking to make sure the door was completely shut. I doubt there is a law on the books that says it's illegal to open the outside door when parked. Since it was only open a couple inches, fuck the guy, he wasn't paying enough attention and/or riding way too close to the cars.
[email protected] Ipods i tell you bring you to a whole different world

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I would feel pretty shitty too. At least you attempted to make sure the coast was clear. Mistakes happen. Your neighboor sounds like a real douche

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
I would feel pretty shitty too. At least you attempted to make sure the coast was clear. Mistakes happen. Your neighboor sounds like a real douche
he named his dog "puppy" (srsly)
and Connie refers to him as "oh that's the guy that sat there telling me about sailboat knots for a half hour.. even after I explained I was on the University Sailing team - I don't like him"

and Connie likes... everyone...

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 04-02-2009 at 02:25 PM.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
LMFAO he hit a parked car his fault end of story. And that entering exiting on the curb side isnt for passenger cars its for taxi's bus etc etc

Should have laughed and asked if he was ok can i help you upon receiving the reply of no walk away like it didn't happen
Nope.. That's what I thought.. One of my Wifes friends got sued for quite a bit (5 figures) on that law...

I guess it's been on the books for.. forever.. and it's used in cases like this

Of course that guy was.. hurt hurt.. not.. ouch hurt.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
I call BS. Especially on a tight street bikers have to ride close to the cars otherwise they run the rise of getting run over. It's up to the driver to make sure there is no one coming before they open the door. If he hit the door I'm sure he didn't have any time to react.

Quote:
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I call BS. Especially on a tight street bikers have to ride close to the cars otherwise they run the rise of getting run over. It's up to the driver to make sure there is no one coming before they open the door. If he hit the door I'm sure he didn't have any time to react.
well.. it's not exactly a tight street... but yeah.. I don't think the fault lies entirely with either of us.. I really actually did look (not for bikes.. but for cars... because of the double parker).. but it would be a 2 lane road.. except for people being parked on both sides.. and trafficwise.. it's maybe a car every 2-3 minutes road.. Belmont is high traffic .. this is a 2 block section of road that dead ends on either end *in between Broadway and Halsted) with 2 large speed humps in the middle..*
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:33 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Gcon

your wifes friend lost on account of this law im willing to bet

The law in Illinois on the issue of opening a car door into traffic is as follows: Opening and closing vehicle doors. No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

That would cause that friend to lose as bicycles sadly are considered vehicles and share the same rules of the road but yet fail to follow them

Oh well you were man enough to stay calm and assist him if needed. Good man

Last edited by C2M; 04-02-2009 at 02:35 PM.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
they call me, Mr. Green

Sportbike: 01 zx-7r
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: a little voice in my head

did the guy hit the inside of your car door or was he coming at you head on? maybe im slow but i didn't pick that up from your story. either way it sucks man, hope u can fix your window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Old Lady Falls Asleep with Lit Pall Mall 120 and Blaze Erupts?

I've seen it a hundred times.......
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
as bicycles sadly are considered vehicles
WTF? Why is it so sad that bicycles are considered vehicles?

Quote:
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Sure it's the driver's responsibility but only to a point. Did the bicyclist have the required safety lighting? If so, was it working properly? If he was all squared away and G Money just missed it, then yeah, it's a different story, but I know a number of these bike messenger types too, live fast and loose types, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just being reckless.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen7r View Post
did the guy hit the inside of your car door or was he coming at you head on? maybe im slow but i didn't pick that up from your story. either way it sucks man, hope u can fix your window.
he hit the edge of the door.. probably hurt worse than hitting the side...

in other words.. I was parked on the right side of the road.. and opened the left (driver door) he was traveling on the right side of the road and hit the inside edge (the door wasn't opened enough for him to hit interior.. he hit where the latch is and the side of the window.. not hard enough to break the window but hard enough to knock it off the track
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
WTF? Why is it so sad that bicycles are considered vehicles?
Why cause it comes down to the fact they are just as bad as cab drivers and in fact break every rule of the road out there but yet bitch, moan and complain when they have a issue with a car or driver.

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

seems like google streeetview is shrinking? they used to have Briar on there.. now it's gone and just main roads... wonder why that is?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

that's where it happened
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:42 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Quote:

That would cause that friend to lose as bicycles sadly are considered vehicles and share the same rules of the road but yet fail to follow them
Bicycles FTW!!! Your both boners IMO. You should have looked better for anything and everything coming before opening your door, and he should know the possibility of this happening and be aware of it. Stuff happens, and if nobody got hurt who cares. If he was a recreational rider, he should pick a different road to ride. If he was a professional courier, that is part of the job. Suck it up and move on.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
Bicycles FTW!!! Your both boners IMO. You should have looked better for anything and everything coming before opening your door, and he should know the possibility of this happening and be aware of it. Stuff happens, and if nobody got hurt who cares. If he was a recreational rider, he should pick a different road to ride. If he was a professional courier, that is part of the job. Suck it up and move on.
That's the odd thing... I *did* look.. and I didn't see him
He wasn't a pro.. he was some guy probably in worse shape than me on a beat up 20 year old green huffy...
delivering food

I was trying to figure out how I missed him.. and .. the only thing I can come up with is I had pulled the doorhandle and it was slightly popped open when I looked (you know how you sometimes will grab the handle then reach over and start collecting all your crap off the passenger seat.. then look to make sure no cars are coming then open?) it was one of those.. I saw the car that was behind him.. and saw it was stopped and about to go around the double parked car.. and so I went.. the only thing I can think of is.. either the angle of mirror.. or.. maybe more likely he was behind the car I saw and went around it on the right.. then when I opened the door.. there he was.. way to the right.. and it explains why he came out of nowhere...

good thing I wrote all this out.. I hadn;t thought of that before..

I guess not that it matters.. I doubt he will sue.. and I am going to be out fixing the door (some small dents, scratches and maybe small window parts - figure a few hundred bucks) ...

I guess if everyone takes anything from this..

Be aware bicycles are everywhere
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago performance View Post
Bicycles ftw!!! Your both boners imo. You should have looked better for anything and everything coming before opening your door, and he should know the possibility of this happening and be aware of it. Stuff happens, and if nobody got hurt who cares. If he was a recreational rider, he should pick a different road to ride. If he was a professional courier, that is part of the job. Suck it up and move on.
lmfao Spoken like a true boner himself

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
DONATING MEMBER

It sounds like you are saying you opened the door like 12 inches or less. If that's the case and he was skimming the parked cars then he is a moron, moreso than you. Yeah especially in the city bikes are everywhere, and most actually do ride like dimwits, myself included. But I try to think about other people not realizing me being there and adjust for it. He didn't, and he might be a little sore tomorrow because of it.

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:03 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Quote:
lmfao Spoken like a true boner himself
Busted.

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I ride around Chicago everyday. Doors being opened in front of you is something you have to keep an eye out for, among other things.

#1 most dangerous thing...

People! They walk blindly right in front of you, I have hit a few people in the last few years. Text walking is my favorite, Darwin award for those folks for sure.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
It sounds like you are saying you opened the door like 12 inches or less. If that's the case and he was skimming the parked cars then he is a moron, moreso than you. Yeah especially in the city bikes are everywhere, and most actually do ride like dimwits, myself included. But I try to think about other people not realizing me being there and adjust for it. He didn't, and he might be a little sore tomorrow because of it.
Door was open less than I foot.. I had just began to push it open when he hit it.. and thus he hit the hard end ... not the inside... when he hit the door.. it didn't push open.. the bikes momentum when into trying to push the car - if that explains the angle better...

When I ride to work I try to get to and from the bike trail in as short a distance as possible.. I know in a bike vs car contest.. I am going to lose...

To be honest I can't believe the way a lot of these bikes ride in the city.. and the way they ride I am so surprised more of them are not killed than are...

Yesterday after all this happened I was driving to home depot.. I was on diversey headed west bound.. I get up to Ashland and I have a green light, I look to the left before I entered the intersection and had to slam my brakes.. or I would have totally t-boned some guy on a fancy face bike.. who was probably doing 30mph.. he didn't even look to either side as he ran right through the red light... -- That guy is not dead today because *I* looked left in the intersection before I entered on a green light..

I drive in the city every day.... if you lay your life on the line ... with the odds of someone looking both ways before they go through a green light.. you are most likely not long for this world...

and the funny thing is.. I probably wouldn't look through intersections like that if not for riding a motorcycle, (and being t-boned by a redlight running car before) ... and I was a little bike paranoid after the guy banged into my while parked...

Having that happen is a bit more of a shocker than you'd think...
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
does anyone else see it irony here...

a fellow rider here opens his car door,(admittedly) without looking for bikes and a collision occured.

you all would be up in arms to noose a driver that didnt look and pulled out infront of someone on a motorcycle, but we have a similar circumstanced situation here and its a completely different story on how you all react to this one

gcon im sure you feel bad about this and please dont take it as though im ripping on you, Im not,

just pointing out something I noticed... you all are also lumping all bike messengers/delivery people into one group just like is done to us on sport bikes, when someone sees a squid on a rocket go ripping thru traffic on the highway lans splitting then see another sport bike riding lawfully the disdain is still there

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post

a fellow rider here opens his car door,(admittedly) without looking for bikes and a collision occured.

you all would be up in arms to noose a driver that didnt look and pulled out infront of someone on a motorcycle, but we have a similar circumstanced situation here and its a completely different story on how you all react to this one

gcon im sure you feel bad about this and please dont take it as though im ripping on you, Im not,

just pointing out something I noticed... you all are also lumping all bike messengers/delivery people into one group just like is done to us on sport bikes, when someone sees a squid on a rocket go ripping thru traffic on the highway lans splitting then see another sport bike riding lawfully the disdain is still there

Very well put...

Quote:
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

I didn't admit I didn't look
I actually did look
unless by admittedly you mean where I said I wasn't specifically looking for bikes.. That's not to say I wouldn't *see* a bike.. just that I figured if anything was going to come flying my and sideswipe me it would be an impatient driver trying to get around the other impatient person who couldn't be bothered to move his car down 4 spaces to the end of the block (a dead end) and leave it with flashers on there.. instead of blocking traffic

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the bike who hit me was behind the car.. at least most likely.. which would explain why I did not see him.. he would have gone around the car to the right.. pushing him very close to the parked cars... which pretty much explains everything...

Good point in general.. but I think you are missing my point ... and it's all good.. I didn't feel you were ripping into me.. I obviously feel bad that I caused someone harm who I had no reason to.. It wasn't my intention... I posted it up to vent.. and as a "this ever happen to you?" .. and as a " be careful"

but to be honest... the "that guy came out of nowhere" excuse is used on us bikers all the time.. and to be honest.. sometimes it is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode