Extend Rt 53?? Vote on April 7th - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Extend Rt 53?? Vote on April 7th

I noticed a construction display board on Lake Cook Rd. I think this would be a great idea esp since Rt 12 has been over capacity for quite some time now and the stop and go traffic does not help gas mileage/air pollution.

Discuss.

Quote:
Future
Illinois 53 has been at the center of a major dispute regarding its northern extension (also known as FAP 342) into Lake County. The studied corridor currently runs from its current terminus at Lake-Cook Road north to a planned bypass for Illinois Route 120 near Grayslake. This bypass would carry through traffic to the Tri-State Tollway around Gurnee. The freeway would then turn west towards U.S. Route 12 and an existing freeway in south central Wisconsin. Should the freeway ever be constructed, it is likely that it would be Interstate standard, and would result in a new Interstate designation, most likely Interstate 594.

The highway has been opposed by several organizations, notably the Illinois chapter of the Sierra Club and vocal residents of Long Grove, which lies directly in the path of the Illinois 53 freeway extension. The Sierra Club opposes the roadway extension due to the presence of numerous ecologically sensitive wetlands in the corridor, the potential of affordable arterial road improvements to provide more effective congestion relief without the extension, the potential of expanded mass transportation to relieve congestion more efficiently, unaccounted air pollution impacts from increased traffic that the extension would cause, the enormous multi-billion dollar cost of the proposed extension, and evidence that construction of the proposed tollway will merely spur more development and congestion in the future. This phenomenon is known as suburban sprawl.[4] They also point out that the proposed extension would not serve the primary NW to SE travel demand, and that attempts by interested state legislators to secure funding for the extension has frustrated efforts to secure funding for more affordable and less controversial transportation options. In 2000, they launched Let's Get Moving!, a campaign to generate consensus for congestion relief without the damaging extension.

Proponents of the tollway argue that congestion in Lake County has already reached economically damaging levels, and that a highway would save millions in fuel costs that would otherwise be lost in congestion. In addition, they argue that a new highway would substantially supplement the existing disorganized network of roads in the county; unlike neighboring Cook county, Lake and McHenry County lack expanded arterial-capacity east-west and north-south state highways. In addition, proponents note that future projections call for housing and commerce development to reach the McHenry and Lake County areas regardless of the presence of a new highway. Finally, proponents claim that the majority of the affected population supports building the Illinois 53 extension.[5]

The Lake County Board put the question whether to extend Rt. 53 through Lake County on the April 2009 ballot, but since the question still lacks the informational Environmental Impact Statement context customary for such a political decision, this non-binding referendum in an off-election year is of questionable significance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Route_53

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/lakefore...609-s1.article

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
yup, lots of stuff in the way, but heres a novel idea and i'm sure this will come across as crazy.... How about they make the road curve? {gasps of horror from the audience} I know... I know, but bear with me for a moment... it has been proven in other states that roads can be constructed in a pattern besides pencil straight and are actually quite enjoyable to drive. Of corse engineers in other states have also discovered tools like the protractor as an augmented method of drawing a line as opposed to the straight ruler .

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Wasn't the original plan for that fucker to go all the way to Wisconsin before the Long Grove snobs complained and they ran out of money?

Ian
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
Wasn't the original plan for that fucker to go all the way to Wisconsin before the Long Grove snobs complained and they ran out of money?
My parents live in Kildeer (since 1980) next to Long Grove and this is a bad idea considering all the wetlands that are there, homes that are in the way and what it would do to property values which are already down. I know right where this highway would cut through and it would be horrible.

They have been trying to get this through for a long time. There are other alternatives to this.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
I'm voting yes for it... the populations have tripled since I moved here which was in 1992.
There is way to much traffic now... and this is the freaking suburbs!

I agree with the curvy roads, you ever notice on the highway on 90/94 where there are bends how people always seem to speed up there .. then once it's over you come to a stop.

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

They should widen more of the local roads like they have done with Lake Cook, Quentin, 22, etc, etc.

The only thing that highway will do is extend the sprawl.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
My parents live in Kildeer (since 1980) next to Long Grove and this is a bad idea considering all the wetlands that are there, homes that are in the way and what it would do to property values which are already down. I know right where this highway would cut through and it would be horrible.

They have been trying to get this through for a long time. There are other alternatives to this.
I will agree with you that building the highway might decrease the home values in the area.

But!

I must strongly disagree that Long Grove cares about the wetlands or the thought of preserving wilderness. There have been at least 1/2 dozen new McMansion neighborhoods that have popped up during the housing boom in the past 5 years and the Gigantous Menards that was just completed right on the said wetlands. This all circles back to the 1st point where some wealthy folks don't want anything in their back yard.

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
They should widen more of the local roads like they have done with Lake Cook, Quentin, 22, etc, etc.

The only thing that highway will do is extend the sprawl.
Soon they'll be extending into those wetlands and your mom's house causing a sprawl.

I feel for the homeowners, but Chicagoland's highway system is barely a system. It's just a cluster of roads strung together, throughout the years they continue to add one here or there.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
traffic sucks up there, just move down here. no wait screw that stay up there and keep your traffic up there. Buncha rich barrington snobs LOL

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
traffic sucks up there, just move down here. no wait screw that stay up there and keep your traffic up there. Buncha rich barrington snobs LOL
because traffic here isn't bad enough... now at least they are widening rt 59 now but that is already a mess
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
I wouldn't want to live next to an ogre and duc ridin hillbilly anyway!!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:14 PM
he who is absent foreskin

Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine

Send a message via AIM to Loki047
I say widen it, It'll help my commute and live far east of there so goodies for me
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

wetlands smetlands. i think they should build it all the way to I-43 in wisconsin. i could care less about home values in long grove. they always new it was a posibility. I-275 was poured right through my mom's neighborhood in tampa. that's just how it goes.

and they should still improve the roads around rt12. that road is a battle zone. no reason we should not have good roads.

and while they are at it, they need to repave 53 north of dundee again. the job they did last year is absolute garbage. the on and off-ramps are garbage. the company that resurfaced it needs to redo it. bunch of idiots.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
the traffic going up there in the last 10 years has gotten bad with stupid ass traffic light tossed in sporatically and with shitty timing. It's a clusterfuck back them and it has done nothing but gotten worse. It's needed just like everywhere else the roads need to be expanded. This state has idiots when it come to future planning.

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Extend, it's needed and long overdue. Surface streets can't take the load.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Serious inquiries only

The vote passed, something crazy like 72 to 20.

Now, since Barak Hussein will be handing out cash, Plote should be on this project in a month and be done soon.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Wooo hooo Plote buys mostly CAT products.

Ian
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Wooo hooo Plote buys mostly CAT products.
Well it's either him or the other company. There's only two idiots that can produce such SHITTY fucking roads in this state.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 PM

Yeah no shit. I am glad someone else noticed that, I always said in my head drivign buy Plotes sites "man these guys are idiots and seem to do everything half ass".

Ian
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Serious inquiries only

You should see plote's house. It's un.fucking.real. If he did such a good job on his house, why can't they pour some decent concrete/asphalt? Oya, cause chicago/illinois doesn't want to pay for it.

Know what they do in France? They pour about 4 feet of concrete under the asphalt, and the roads are guaranteed by the builders for 40 years.

Fucking shit, Chicago's roads last 4 months. Look at the section of 53 just south of lake cook they just did last year! I can barely do 60mph without my car jumping all over the road. MAROONS! MAROONS I TELL YA!
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
There are ways to build a highway in ways that will be environmentally sound. It's more costly due to the care you need to maintain in order to make that a reality, but it CAN and HAS been done all over the world.. I think improving the existing roads would have been the better alternative overall, but I see why a highway would be beneficial. In many cases, much of the traffic going through Lake and McHenry county is caused by folks trying to get up into Wisconsin anyways. Keeping that traffic to the highway would limit conjestion for the locals.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM

Same thing with Golf road. They did it like 2 years ago and it is already a disaster. 1.5" of asphalt over concrete is not going to work.

Ian
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quote:
Same thing with Golf road. They did it like 2 years ago and it is already a disaster. 1.5" of asphalt over concrete is not going to work.
Don't even get me started on Golf road. It HAS to be one of the worst 4 lane roads in the state on that stretch near Woodfield.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
The vote passed, something crazy like 72 to 20.

Now, since Barak Hussein will be handing out cash, Plote should be on this project in a month and be done soon.

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

When they first proposed this route (however long ago it was) it went right by my parent's house in Mundelein.

They built up a half dozen neighborhoods since then, but left a giant undeveloped strip through all the neighborhoods for the hwy to go through. It was comical and sad all at the same time.

I hope they build it and just get it over with.

Sad though that someone could have build a perfectly good house there and lived for 20+ years undisturbed while the state figured their shit out.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Sad though that someone could have build a perfectly good house there and lived for 20+ years undisturbed while the state figured their shit out.
only to get kicked out after 20 years to make way for the highway

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
only to get kicked out after 20 years to make way for the highway
but thats only because people have been fighting the state for that long not to put the highway in.

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 05:13 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
yup, lots of stuff in the way, but heres a novel idea and i'm sure this will come across as crazy.... How about they make the road curve? {gasps of horror from the audience} I know... I know, but bear with me for a moment... it has been proven in other states that roads can be constructed in a pattern besides pencil straight and are actually quite enjoyable to drive. Of corse engineers in other states have also discovered tools like the protractor as an augmented method of drawing a line as opposed to the straight ruler .
What is this "curve" you speak of.. that sounds like an interesting idea..

Or.. they could just do it Indiana/Chicago style and go skyway right over their heads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode