Small business owners, software/website questions... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Sportbike: Trek
Years Riding: 3285 days and counting
How you found us: CLSB found me...

Send a message via AIM to Julian@MotoCARR
Small business owners, software/website questions...

Looking to pick up software that will keep tabs on business related expenses as well as keep track of inventory levels. Looking for a little better than me keeping tabs on an excel spreadsheet or pieces of paper LOL. I've looked into Quicken just because I use Turbo Tax, but really have no idea what else is out there that is relatively simple to use.

When it comes to your website, who/how was it created, approximate cost to have it built and to keep it running, etc. I do plan to have a shopping cart/check out process so I assume a little more security is involved in creating the site? I'd also like to be able to make minor changes such as inventory changes and the like myself and not have to rely on someone else to make the changes for me.

Deposit your below....

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-23-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
What you doin now?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quickbooks Pro is what my accountant had me get

Has accounting features and does inventory you want and other such stuff you will probably never use.

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/product...ison-chart.jsp

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

QB, pro

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quickbooks. Seriously. Easy to use and will keep track of everything you want.

We are spending 100k on our current website project, but we are also building custom portals for our custoemrs in there. Go open-source and you will save a ton and have far more "community" support. You will want a programmer, obviously. If you get a good freelance guy you could get somethign going for 50$ an hour. If you are tying to some back-end database, things get a little tricky but easy for aq good developer. Also, hosting it externally will save on infrastructure costs, especially if you plan to grow your business off of it.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

I got some of it , but you lost me here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohenchicago View Post
Go open-source and you will save a ton and have far more "community" support.
and here:

Quote:
If you are tying to some back-end database, things get a little tricky but easy for aq good developer.

Quote:
Also, hosting it externally will save on infrastructure costs, especially if you plan to grow your business off of it.
By hosting externally, you mean I pay another company to keep the website address "live" and working right instead of me buying all the computers and such to keep it "live" myself right?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
What exactly are you trying to do and/or sell?

If you want a low investment and ease of use you can just use a host like GoDaddy. They have an interface that will allow you to setup Open Source shopping carts like OSCommerce by just clicking buttons. Then you just customize the cart.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
What you doin now?
Best Buy is killing my weekends. Oh, and I'm not at Vernon Hills anymore, at the Mundelein store now incase you decide to pop in again . Let me know when it's time to hook up the Accord or put TVs and cameras on the RR

Not to toot my own horn but I get paid peanuts for someone who's been doing it for 10+ years and if I'm goin to work 7 days a week, I'd rather be working for myself on the weekends. Much more enjoyable and I can actually recomend crap that fits the customer's needs and not be told to sell what's "in stock". Not that it stops me anyway, but you catch my drift lol.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostnGTI02 View Post
Best Buy is killing my weekends. Oh, and I'm not at Vernon Hills anymore, at the Mundelein store now incase you decide to pop in again . Let me know when it's time to hook up the Accord or put TVs and cameras on the RR

Not to toot my own horn but I get paid peanuts for someone who's been doing it for 10+ years and if I'm goin to work 7 days a week, I'd rather be working for myself on the weekends. Much more enjoyable and I can actually recomend crap that fits the customer's needs and not be told to sell what's "in stock". Not that it stops me anyway, but you catch my drift lol.
So wait, you're still doing the 9-5 at Grainger, then BB mundelein store on sat/sun?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
What exactly are you trying to do and/or sell?

If you want a low investment and ease of use you can just use a host like GoDaddy. They have an interface that will allow you to setup Open Source shopping carts like OSCommerce by just clicking buttons. Then you just customize the cart.
Mainly retail car audio/install parts, bolt on performance, and motorcycle parts. Eventually install as well when I get the scratch to get a small garage.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
+1 on QB Pro, unless you really do not have that much volume. If not, a nice spreadsheet will do the trick just fine and you will not be wasting time playing with software. As far as a website, again, it depends on the volume you predict. A simple site with a shopping cart will run you at minimum $1500 plus ~$50 a month to maintain. Again that is at minimum. Now if you just want an informational site, that will be much cheaper to start with and you can grow into it.

Greg

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostnGTI02 View Post
By hosting externally, you mean I pay another company to keep the website address "live" and working right instead of me buying all the computers and such to keep it "live" myself right?
Yes on this. If you have the means to host it yourself, by all means do it. However, if it's going to be simple and potentially grow into somethign bigger (hopefully) you will want the redundancy of externally hosting and backing up your site.

On the other stuff...

There are "packages" you can buy that can be quite costly that will do what free open-source code will do. What I mean is that you can buy stuff or you can get someone that uses open-source coding which is free, leaving more money for development.

The database stuff is probably somethign you won't have to deal with. For us, we have a huge database that we host and use daily, but the website is externally hosted so connections between the two need to be fast and reliable so the customers are not pissed off at slowness.

For you, a simple shopping cart, some decent front end work, and you are good to go. $2,000.00 max if you want it to look professional.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
So wait, you're still doing the 9-5 at Grainger, then BB mundelein store on sat/sun?
Yup, I'm a machine...
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
+1 on QB Pro, unless you really do not have that much volume. If not, a nice spreadsheet will do the trick just fine and you will not be wasting time playing with software. As far as a website, again, it depends on the volume you predict. A simple site with a shopping cart will run you at minimum $1500 plus ~$50 a month to maintain. Again that is at minimum. Now if you just want an informational site, that will be much cheaper to start with and you can grow into it.

Yeah I predict volume will be very low for a while lol. I'm more just looking to get everything organized in one place. Sounds like QB is the way to go.

As far as a website goes, for now I'm looking for super basic, kinda like this guy's site from WERA. I just want simple that will get the job done.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Quicken Online is free, FREE.

QuickBooks Online is great too.
http://www.abacusrex.com/serv_virtual_bookkeeping.html

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Quicken Online is free, FREE.

QuickBooks Online is great too.
http://www.abacusrex.com/serv_virtual_bookkeeping.html
is that a free version of quickbooks?

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

No, but cheaper than buying it. The Quicken is free though.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 PM
YO MAMA

ahh cool

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
The site you listed is not even ecommerce enabled from what I can see. And it's very very basic and maybe a cheap template.

Quickbooks for sure to manage your business as a whole. But I would still recommend some 3rd party hosting. Hosting yourself or purchasing dedicated hosting is WAY to expensive and not worth the initial investment for what you are planning to do. Are you basically looking to move away from your Ebay selling profile/store that is in your signature?

I've built a bunch of sites in the past for small companies like yours and OSCommerce is not a bad way to go. Just searched to see if any are online and this one is still live. If you follow RC racing specifically 1/12 electric this company is real good.

http://bmiracing.com/webstore/catalog/

That cart is hosted at GoDaddy if I remember right, OSCom, and I did most of the original artwork and graphics for it. Now the owner knows how to add, delete, change pricing, etc and does it all on his own. OSCom is easy if you only want to use Ppal. If you want to accept credit cards then you will also need your own merchant account.

If you want to go even simpler you could build purely static site and use Paypal buttons on a product page. Paypal has a feature that you can generate the buttons and code/links then you just plug that into your HTML.

I'm 5-0 now but worked in the web dev, dot.com, private sector for 6 years before joining the donut force. Now I get to do computer stuff and have a .9mm I'm usually online all day so feel free to ping any questions directly to me or on this forum. My recommendation is to go the cheaper route first but with a nicely laid out site. Then if it really got big that's when you could explore other options in terms of e-commerce.

Last edited by Nexus; 04-08-2009 at 11:13 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 PM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

Quickbooks will be fine and has a very user friendly interface but I prefer Peachtree. It's more difficult to learn but you can run a $100M+ business with it. QB is good up to $10M.

We operate twelve ecommerce websites and do all of the design and developement in house. We have an office in India and that is where we do all of our coding. We are in the process of a complete redesign that will combine all of our websites into one user interface.

I'm not sure what is currently available in a template based ecommerce site but that would be your best bet at this stage. Keep it simple so you can focus on the business. If things take off you can always upgrade. Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, don't forget about search engine optimization. We also do this in house so I can help you with this. It really is the most important aspect in my opinion.

Think big and good luck in your new venture!

Last edited by MVRC51; 04-09-2009 at 12:08 AM.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Thank you all for the help so far! Rest asured I will continue to pick your brains...
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
QB can be had for $100 bucks from Ebay. Website is cake, if you use someone elses cart system or like Google checkout.

Ian
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Yeah I have seen the HTML "buttons" that paypal offers and thought that would be a good idea to use. Any pointers on where to start or how to start shopping for someone or a company to create a website? I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to add/change/remove things once the site is up. I do understand the basics of HTML with opening and closing tags from messing around with photobucket if some HTML knowledge is needed to make said changes.

To your point Nexus, yes I for sure want to navigate away from eBay as my main "store front". eBay eats alot of what little margins I do have to be competitive lol.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
I offer hosting and design services. I by no means am an expert though. PM or email me and we can talk.

Ian
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Teach me to Ride Please

Sportbike: 2012 HD street glide, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2006 CBR F4I, 2003 Honda XR50
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: The voices in my head

Send a message via AIM to Guess Who? Send a message via MSN to Guess Who?
Good luck with the business. I open mine this monday!!

RIP ASHWIN 7/23/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
trust me i am not the same cock sucker i was a few years ago either and so on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode