Need Help - Guest House - Where to start? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Need Help - Guest House - Where to start?

Ok,

So long story short. The g/f and I are in the market for a home. First time home buyers. We've been looking for about 6 months and are committing to buying in about 2 months. It's currently my mom and I living in a house worth maybe $600K in this market, and was appraised at over $800K before the big burst. Our block and town has gone through the whole tear down and build bigger faze, so...all the houses are now either big and new / (2 of them) are old house with HUGE additions built on. Each house has very nice architecture / design (one of them looks like a castle, etc)...no cookie cutter, so its a very great neighborhood architecturally to live in. Also, we're in a very good suburb of Chicago, so to get any land is impossible...it's all sold and the only way to buy land for less than $300K is to move very West/North/South.

Anyway, since we are moving out, my mom has offered to basically give us the house. She doesn't want to live alone, and we have an acre wooded lot. She would like to have a guest house built in one of the corners right by the road. So basically build a one car garage, short driveway, and kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc. For 1 person. We would then do a cash out loan and have my g/f and I on it. The house hasn't been updated since the 90's, so basically everything needs to be fixed/updated. We don't want to do a sale as we couldn't afford the house straight out + fix it...so we would basically be added to the loan and deed of the house, and she would still own it and we would live in the main house, and she would live in the guest house.

Now, to get to the question. Where do we start on the guest house. Where do I find plans for a house, or a builder, or contractor, or whomever to get the ball rolling on what we could build there?

Basically...where do I start? CLSBers....please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 AM
he who is absent foreskin

Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine

Send a message via AIM to Loki047
A) keep the gf off of it till your married
B) good luck depending on your town

Which suburb?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:36 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

+100000000000000 on keeping the gf off of it. You never know what could happen and well it would suck for her to walk away with half of your families property.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

First thing check the zoning for that area and see if a guest house is even allowed. May not be enough setback by the codes there.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne View Post
+100000000000000 on keeping the gf off of it. You never know what could happen and well it would suck for her to walk away with half of your families property.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

PM sent

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:46 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Not updated since the 90s? You poor thing! I think my place hasn't been updated since the 60s.

If I recall correctly, you are in Hawthorn Woods. Don't believe that is allowed, I lived in Lake Zurich for a couple years across from the Y. And for christ's sake, keep the damn gf out.

Living in a small ass guest house with your gf sucks, trust me, I just got done doing that for a year and half.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
Living in a small ass guest house with your gf sucks, trust me, I just got done doing that for a year and half.
The mother will be living in the guest house. The girlfriend and him will get the big house

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHeYeNNe View Post
The mother will be living in the guest house. The girlfriend and him will get the big house
Reading fail!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:06 AM

Sportbike: 07 gsxr1000
Years Riding: started at 7 sportbike a few
How you found us: buddy

To get the ball rolling you should take about 15 bids
get a couple of middle bids and pick the contractor you like the best, if you try to be your own contractor the bank may not give you the loan.P.M me if you need a couple of names
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Start with the Village Planning person...... ask what the rules are for this
sort of thing.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
sort of thing.

Tom
I agree!

Then yellow pages for architects. Need a plan b4 a contractor otherwise they can't give you a good bid. Once you find an architect you like they should be able to give you some names of contractors.

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 AM

go to the library, go to a lawyer, talk to a GC, talk to an architect. There is a lot to building a free standing structure.

Then read some more and talk to them some more. Then look into financing there are a million ways to pay for this some are great some suck.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
sort of thing.

Tom
definitely rule #1

since you're planning on building from the ground up, there will be multiple contractors. Get organized from the beginning. Contractors can be tough to deal with, and time is ALWAYS a problem (even with the good ones).

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Nuke and Pave

Sportbike: Yamaha R6, BMW RT
Years Riding: R6 2 years, bikes - longer than you!
How you found us: Wink

Pete:

Start with securing a plat map of your property, then go to the local village planning and zoning department to discuss the legalities of what you are proposing. You can get information from these people on all the building and planning codes to be met, permit costs, inspection procedures and maybe a list of contractors who are registered to do business locally.

Secure the services of an architectural design firm to come up with a preliminary design for your proposed structure so the footprint can be transfered to a plat map, or get an off the shelf plan for that purpose. Be aware that canned plans must have the stamp of an Illinois registered architect so you will incur substantial cost and a redraw if you go this route.

Next step is to secure the services of a Civil Engineering firm to locate your proposed structure on the property. They will slso provide construction and final staking services once you reach that point. Some architecture firms will also offer this service but you wil have to have a PE stamp and sign your plat.

Do final architectural drawing and specifications right down to the interior finish selections and put it out to bid to several building companies you feel comfortable with and get detail prices so you can make a decision. Don't bid to anyone you would not consider giving the job and you will save a lot of time in the bid award process.

Submit for permit once you have the plat and plans and have the balance of the required for submittal documents.

Do not make any deals that call for money to be paid out before the work is inspected and completed. Most builders will want to work out some kind of payment progress schedule which can vary from monthly draws to a planned staged of completion type system.

You also need to talk to your lenders to set up a construction loan and a permanent take out once you have a firm grasp of the costs. As far as the GF is concerned, that is completely your business, but the lender may have something to say about it.

Let me know if I can be of assistance in any way, and I would not recommend you acting as your own general unless you have experience in this type of work. You might be able to hire someone to act as a construction manager on your behalf and save some money over placing it all in the hands of a gereral contractor, perhaps working out a fee for the management of the project instead of the usual mark ups placed on all the costs by the general.

You can expect the construction time for a detached single family home to range from 90 to 150 days depending on weather, complexity, builder, and whether or not you have a firm grasp on how you want to build and finish the structure.

One last thought....you might consider adding on to the existing structure if you run into planning or zoning issues with the new detached structure and still achieve the desired result.

JIm Meigs

NESBA #327, Advanced Class
06 Yamaha R6, 04 BMW RT, 72 Honda CB500
"All dogs go to Heaven."
"Being middle of the road started to bore me, so I headed for the ditch."

Last edited by jimmeigs; 04-13-2009 at 09:28 AM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM

Sportbike: Working on it...
Years Riding: Hmm... let me see....

Jim's post is a great checklist for your upcoming venture.

I echo everyone else's comment about keeping the GF out of title.

I am sending the name and number of a great contractor... he does some wonderful work and has all the right connections for your subs.

Good luck!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

R.I.P. Ashwin
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmeigs View Post
One last thought....you might consider adding on to the existing structure if you run into planning or zoning issues with the new detached structure and still achieve the desired result.

JIm Meigs
I would second that. Especially if you plan on staying there for a long time and your mother moves out. I have seen some very nice concealed apartments that after the occupants move out a wall is torn down and there is now a larger kitchen with a good mud room and library.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHeYeNNe View Post
We have been together 6+ years. She wants to get married, buy a house, and all that. Yes, she's the one, but I do not intend on proposing within the next 2 years at least. Buying a home together comes first.

On a side note, all of our friends are getting married, buying homes as well, and that doesn't bode well for me, being that we're going to be the last single couple left, and all the married friends rag on it.

And, I'm not at all worried about her/I breaking up or her stealing my family's posessions (house). Not that type of relationship/person.

Thanks for looking out though guys!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jimmeigs and others.

Yeah, we'll be in the big house. Mom will be in the guest house. She really just doesn't want to be alone. Polish familys are very close knit. But we don't want to live with mom forever, so this is sort of a compromise.

As far as the loan is concerned. The value of the home is much larger then the $150K balance on the mtg. We would do a cash out refi for just over double that, and use that money to build the guest house and update the interior.

Yeah, the 90's. We're talking lots of pink, gold, and mirrors. It's not bad, it's just not our style. It's almost 20 years old. Kitchen needs to be redone, roof, etc.

Thanks for the tips. Keep em' coming.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:47 PM

Sportbike: Working on it...
Years Riding: Hmm... let me see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
Thanks Jimmeigs and others.

Yeah, we'll be in the big house. Mom will be in the guest house. She really just doesn't want to be alone. Polish familys are very close knit. But we don't want to live with mom forever, so this is sort of a compromise.

As far as the loan is concerned. The value of the home is much larger then the $150K balance on the mtg. We would do a cash out refi for just over double that, and use that money to build the guest house and update the interior.

Yeah, the 90's. We're talking lots of pink, gold, and mirrors. It's not bad, it's just not our style. It's almost 20 years old. Kitchen needs to be redone, roof, etc.

Thanks for the tips. Keep em' coming.
I totally get the family closeness... it's also common in our culture!

As for the loan, let me know if you need any help and I'll be happy to look over figures/docs or give you a quote!

Good luck!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

R.I.P. Ashwin
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Serious inquiries only

You gonna be able to afford this mcmansion? Jeez, 4k square feet for a single guy, man, I wish I could afford that!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
And, I'm not at all worried about her/I breaking up or her stealing my family's posessions (house). Not that type of relationship/person.
Famous last words. Women are like wid animals, you can tame them to an extent until something happens completely unexpected then shit hits the fan.

-Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode