ACL Surgery - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: Google

ACL Surgery

My knee screwed up for a good 4 years now, and I think I'm finally going to get it fixed this summer. Has anybody here ever gotten ACL sugery? How long did it take you to get up and about, and then back on your bike safely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:18 PM

Sportbike: 04 GSXR 600
Years Riding: 2 years
How you found us: Local shop

ACL fix

I had mine done about 5 years ago. It took all of 6 months to get back to a somewhat normal feeling. It took about a year before all activities were pain free. I have heard of people being 100% after six months, but no sooner than that. In any case, if you want to ride this summer, wait until the fall to get the surgery, rehab through the winter and start fresh next season(it is has been torn for 4 years). Start the rehab exercises about a month before surgery and that should help speed recovery.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Sportbike: Husqvarna SM450R
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: the internets

I waited one year before going with surgery for my torn ACL. I've heard different procedures/results for different people who have undergone ACL surgery. For mine, they used 1/3rd of my patella tendon for the new ACL. I've heard cadavers donate most ACLs these days.

Anyway, although I trained hard too rebuild all the muscle lost to atrophy as a result of the surgery (happens very quickly), it still took months of physical therapy before I felt comfortable. Mentally, it took even longer than that because I constantly worried about tearing my new ACL and going through all that shit again.

Years later, my knee feels okay - I'd say a 3.5 out of 5, if 5 represents my healthy knee. I don't worry about it anymore and I'm glad that I had the surgery because it's still much better than before surgery.

I'd say results will vary from doctor to doctor, and the age/health/activity of the patient.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCBR View Post
I had mine done about 5 years ago. It took all of 6 months to get back to a somewhat normal feeling. It took about a year before all activities were pain free. I have heard of people being 100% after six months, but no sooner than that. In any case, if you want to ride this summer, wait until the fall to get the surgery, rehab through the winter and start fresh next season(it is has been torn for 4 years). Start the rehab exercises about a month before surgery and that should help speed recovery.

I'm no doubt in for more pain and anguish than normal, cause I've probably damaged my meniscus as well. the only reason I was considering this summer was because my mom, who's a middle school counselor, would be able to come out and help me for a little while. But I don't want to be hobbling around the entire summer, so maybe I'll just have to wait...

btw, thanks again for the ride this weekend.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

I have a thread on here somewhere about my ACL work. One of the best guys there is, is close to you.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Here ya go: https://chicagolandsportbikes.com/for...ad.php?t=38006

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post

Badass... thanks!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
I severed my right ACL about 10 years ago. I waited until early fall before I had it repaired. (Patella tendon.) My memory is kinda fuzzy, but 6 months sounds about right. I remember the Dr. saying that 9 months is about the average rehab time. I was young (20) and it went quicker. Count on about two weeks of no driving. After you can drive, you can pretty much get around fine on your own.

If you planned the surgery for the last week of July or early August, then your mom could help you out for the couple weeks that you'll be looped out on narcotics. Plus, that will give you all fall / winter to rehab. Then, hopefully, by late Spring you'll be putting up the same strength numbers with both knees. ...and riding casually by summer.

It's painful, but I still think it's worth it. I couldn't jump or run more than 50% before my knee would give out prior to the surgery. I feel 100% physically, and about 90% mentally now. I'm snowboarding, playing volleyball, softball, was track riding in 2003/04, and now back into dirtbikes. All pain free!

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Will

Sportbike: 2009 R6 Raven
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Search Engine

people were saying that silva was trying to injure leites's acl with this kick... is that similar to how one injures an ACL? That type of movement in the leg?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub shih View Post

people were saying that silva was trying to injure leites's acl with this kick... is that similar to how one injures an ACL? That type of movement in the leg?
I'm not sure at all. I know with my knee, it tends to bend left and right. I can't jump because sometimes when I come down it "blows out". Its also happened to me walking down stairs, which sucks. Even worse, it sometimes happens when I'm stepping off of curbs. Thats what happened when I was about to take the riding portion of my MSF test. Try navigating that turn-box while your knees throbbing... It's usually embarrassing cause sometimes I fall over.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Sportbike: 2008 CBR 1000RR and 2010 Victory Jackpot premium
Years Riding: One could say, I've been around the block a few times....
How you found us: Through the "GrapeVine"

This is a GREAT thread! Cuz I busted my ass at park city mountain the last day snowboarding out in Utah last month and my knee has been feeling "Jakey" ever since?

How much pain have some of you had to deal with but it was still functional but in the end turned out to actually be something of importance you had to get fixed? I'm probably going to go to the doctor soon just to find out for sure, but I've pretty much been able to do EVERYTHING but when I do such things as racquetball at a high a somewhat High insensity I find my knee gets very sore for the night and what not........ Any input?

NOT TRYING TO THREAD JACK HERE, JUST A GOOD TOPIC!?

Tom
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCold81 View Post
This is a GREAT thread! Cuz I busted my ass at park city mountain the last day snowboarding out in Utah last month and my knee has been feeling "Jakey" ever since?

How much pain have some of you had to deal with but it was still functional but in the end turned out to actually be something of importance you had to get fixed? I'm probably going to go to the doctor soon just to find out for sure, but I've pretty much been able to do EVERYTHING but when I do such things as racquetball at a high a somewhat High insensity I find my knee gets very sore for the night and what not........ Any input?

NOT TRYING TO THREAD JACK HERE, JUST A GOOD TOPIC!?
I don't have many issues with pain, just a complete lack of stability, and if I have a bad fall because of it, It swells and I have to ice and stretch.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Well.......

LAst summer..... July 4th weekend I was out for a little jog/hike/run/walk and
"tweaked" my knee.... thought......OK that kind hurt.

Rode BHF the next day and it was weird in the pits and uncomfortable on the
bike..... then I couldn't walk for four days.

Thought it was a sprain... so I let it go... let it heal..... it was a little awkward..
and never really got better..... eventually I went and saw the doc..... went for
8 weeks of rehab...... stronger.... but still screwed.

Had an MRI and saw an Ortho..... surgery immediately.

Torn miniscus in two places .... one 20% ( not bad ) the other 50% ( not so good )

Four weeks of recovery, 8 weeks of rehab and here we are...... pretty good.

Still cannot bend the knee completely and stress it..... getting a LOT better over
the last few weeks.....still stretching and working it.

Took way longer to recover than I would have liked....... should be back soon.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Sportbike: 2008 CBR 1000RR and 2010 Victory Jackpot premium
Years Riding: One could say, I've been around the block a few times....
How you found us: Through the "GrapeVine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitrogen View Post
I don't have many issues with pain, just a complete lack of stability, and if I have a bad fall because of it, It swells and I have to ice and stretch.
Yea thats what makes me wonder??? I can pretty much do everything and not stability issue's really just more soreness and maybe a spot that I tend to "Baby" due to feeling a bit weak sometimes??? I don't know Doctor visit is in the works.

Tom
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Slow Old Guy.

If you read my thread you saw that I had chondromalaysia, three miniscus (sp?) tears, damaged MCL and totally destroyed ACL. 6 weeks and 24 hours later, I was riding Grattan at a good pace.

Get a good sport ACL doctor, I have an excellent one. Never used crutches at all either. Heck, I went to my daughters dance competition all day the following day after surgery.

Best of luck with it!

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Contact Jammin he just had his done. His doctor has written a book on acl surgery

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 PM

Sportbike: ZX9R
Years Riding: 10+ years
How you found us: Gixxer Tony

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1shadyninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCBR View Post
In any case, if you want to ride this summer, wait until the fall to get the surgery, rehab through the winter and start fresh next season
I broke mine in April a few years ago, had it fixed shortly after
by June I was riding my bike to physical therapy ( my therapist wasn't very fond of me carrying my lid in lol )

Our Company Facebook ==> http://on.fb.me/TYp7jw
First Place Oils
Check out what AMSOIL has for your bike!
See this post ----> https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...1&postcount=16
Click here for our CLSB SPECIAL!" https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...68#post2010368
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
I had ACL surgery when I was 17 (12 years ago). I started my rehab the minute i woke up after surgery, and was back on my feet in 2 months, and felt 100% after about 3 or 4. But I have a huge tolerance for pain and was always 50% ahead of where I was supposed to be. Good luck with yours!

DJ
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Got it done on Monday, and I must say I immediately regret this decision. Not too much pain, just completely helpless. I got a pretty nice setup where Im on an inflatable bed in front of my big screen, so video games help pass the time. I'd like to read some, but the vicodin makes me too drowsy. I'm getting frustrated case everything simple, like getting out of bed and going to the bathroom, has become a huge production. I can't wait till I'm mobile again
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Heal up and Good luck with the recovery.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitrogen View Post
Got it done on Monday, and I must say I immediately regret this decision. Not too much pain, just completely helpless. I got a pretty nice setup where Im on an inflatable bed in front of my big screen, so video games help pass the time. I'd like to read some, but the vicodin makes me too drowsy. I'm getting frustrated case everything simple, like getting out of bed and going to the bathroom, has become a huge production. I can't wait till I'm mobile again
Don't get too down about it my man...do your rehab, work hard at it, and you'll be better for the wear!

I was on crutches for 5+ months, 3 of which were 100% non-weight bearing so I feel your pain. I'm going back shortly to get the hardware in my leg removed so I'll be back off my feet for a bit then as well.

Stay focused on getting better and try not to dwell on your current limitations.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to Brian Wink for suggesting Dr. Freedberg, I think he did a good job on the actual surgery. I fell like I kinda got hung out to dry on the post op stuff, and I'm pretty sure if I hadn't brought my own crutches, I would have been crawling out of Alexian Brothers on my hands a knee.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Slow Old Guy.

He let you use crutches? I never used them, and I was off the pain meds in a week.

My daughter went through the same surgery, and Dr. Freedberg does a great job on her as well. Keep that leg elevated and iced, and get into PT as soon as you can. I got mine on Friday, and was at PT on Monday. Work it HARD, the harder you work it, the more you'll get it back. I was on the track at Barber 6 weeks after my surgery with full flexibility, but I had to work hard for that.

Good luck with it. I just took my daughter to Freedberg on Monday.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
He let you use crutches? I never used them, and I was off the pain meds in a week.

My daughter went through the same surgery, and Dr. Freedberg does a great job on her as well. Keep that leg elevated and iced, and get into PT as soon as you can. I got mine on Friday, and was at PT on Monday. Work it HARD, the harder you work it, the more you'll get it back. I was on the track at Barber 6 weeks after my surgery with full flexibility, but I had to work hard for that.

Good luck with it. I just took my daughter to Freedberg on Monday.
Thats surprising, I'm still on crutches two days later, and can't imagine putting any weight on it. They didn't have me scheduled to see him again for 10 more days, but I called and pressed to get it moved up.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Tell him that you want the rapid recovery program like what I was on. he is a good guy, and does great work, but you have to ask for what you want. I worked out twice a day every day and did PT 3x per week for the 6 wk period.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Bumping up this bad boy.

Anybody with Miniscus problems (not just ACL?) Tweaked my knee in hockey last week, MCL slight discomfort, then 2 days ago while rough-housing with my dog, he tackled me and took my knee out for good. Went to the ER and all indication lead to MCL tear and Miniscus trouble. Cannot straighten my leg which is my biggest issue/pain now. Not cool. On crutches, and not looking forward to going to an ortho. Guess the MCL is a time healer, but the miniscus might be in need of surgery.

There goes snowboarding and climbing for this winter.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Infectious Human Waste

Sportbike: <600cc's
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Milenko Send a message via Yahoo to Milenko
I'm going through this right now, dont put it off. Wink thats amazing, I just dont want this guy to think its easy to bounce back like that. Im not going to say what your dr did was wrong but mine didnt want me putting any weight on the knee cuz my meniscus damage. Best of luck to ya bud, my guy was in hoffman if you want to talk to him too. I love my PT people, they are great, the dr is good but make sure you have questions cuz he isnt good at explaining things without questions.

Even heroes know when to be scared.
..As I shifted into 6th, I forgot every f'in thing she said..
Im a fuel injected suicide machine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criminalgrrl View Post
I'd let him pee in my butt
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenko View Post
I'm going through this right now, dont put it off. Wink thats amazing, I just dont want this guy to think its easy to bounce back like that. Im not going to say what your dr did was wrong but mine didnt want me putting any weight on the knee cuz my meniscus damage. Best of luck to ya bud, my guy was in hoffman if you want to talk to him too. I love my PT people, they are great, the dr is good but make sure you have questions cuz he isnt good at explaining things without questions.
Thanks. Yeah this sucks. Lots of pain, limited movement, etc. Super annoying. Really could have gone without this. Really pissed at myself because I sort of let it happen. I hurt it a week earlier, and knew I shouldn't have been rough housing with the dog like that, just led to a worse injury. Can only blame myself and that's whats truly annoying me at this stage...is that this could have easily been avoided. Not to mention the initial injury could have been easily avoided too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode