The Mother of all 2 Strokes...... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Semper Fidellis

Sportbike: NADA
Years Riding: Since 1984
How you found us: Google

Send a message via Yahoo to Devil Dog
The Mother of all 2 Strokes......

http://www.twostrokeshop.com/TSS1100GP.htm

Mainstream motorcycle manufacturers may have consigned two-strokes to the too-hard basket, but here at the Two-Stroke Shop (TSS) we're very much in the here and now of championing the advancement of two-stroke development.

We're into building exciting cutting-edge machines that can run with the best of today's four-strokes - all while delivering more thrills, and in lighter, ultra-dynamic packages. We also supply vital parts to keep classic two-stroke bikes alive and well, from air and liquid-cooled street bikes, motocrossers and race bikes.

Case in point:

"My Ducati 1098R bores me ... I want a bike that's so exhilarating; it'll have me giggling like a schoolgirl ... and I won't care."

Sensible, reasoned words, that any red-blooded motorcyclist might utter.

Because indeed, while the current crop of four-stroke litrebikes can be said to be fast, they are not necessarily thrilling in the same measure. And never will they make quantum overnight leaps in power/weight ratio, or overall bike weight, or in terms of power delivery.

It's simple - a four-stroke motor only fires every other rev, so it has to rev quite high to make decent power. And accordingly, the power and torque that's there has to be spread over a loooooong rev range - which means a flat torque curve, and a less than overwhelming sense of acceleration.

Here at TSS we had just about enough of hoary old TZ750 legends, and felt it was far too long since anyone did anything really wild in a two-stroke bike powerplant. The Kwak triples arguably had a sweeter exhaust note than the TZ, which after all only sounded like a twin because it fired pairs of cylinders together.

Thus the TSS1100GP Kawasaki Triple project was born.

It's simple really: machine triple billet cases to accept
3 x 366cc two-stroke cylinders with extravagant tranny porting and cutting-edge porting characteristics.

Target is 250 rear wheel horsepower at 9500rpm, and just shy of DOUBLE the torque of the original ZX-10R motor. This will be easily achievable, with an engine that weighs 25kg less than the outgoing four-stroke 1000cc engine.

For those interested in their own slice of two, three or four-cylinder two-stroke madness, we will be building five of these 1100cc power-valve engines,
so if a mighty 2T mill is up your street, give TSS a hoy - Steve or Wayne at [email protected] or [email protected] - other contact details below.

We can build twins up to 1146cc; triples up to 1725cc; and fours up to 2200cc. Anyone fancy pepping up their Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom?

http://motorcycledaily.com/22april09_1100cc2stroke.htm

One for the "Because We Can" file: What do you do when you're bored with the paltry horsepower from a garden-variety Japanese superbike? We've seen power output from the Japanese fours plateau around the 150-hp mark (at the rear wheel on a dyno) for a few years now, and the OEMs seem to be focusing more on rideability rather than the exponential increases in torque and horsepower we've grown accustomed to over the last three decades. If they can make 220 hp MotoGP bikes, they can make them for us. If they wanted to.

Stephen Rothwell of The Two Stroke Shop, located in Tropical North Queensland, Australia, decided to tackle this crisis by using tried-and-true technology: the two-stroke engine. Rothwell had heard enough of legendary two-strokes like the Yamaha TZ750, so he decided to build his own legend. Rothwell and partner Wayne Wright (who designed two-stroke motors for GP race teams in New Zealand) were already building complete top-end kits for Yamaha two-stroke motors, so they already had some of the parts and the know-how for such a project.

"What the world needed was an answer to the current literbikes, which we find anemic," Rothwell told me over the phone. "If a bike can't hoist the wheel in 4th gear off the throttle it's not a superbike." The 1100cc three-cylinder TSS1100GP should have no such problems; when completed, it should make 250 hp at the rear wheel and 160 ft.-lbs. of torque. A powervalve will keep things rideable, with a characteristic hit of power as the revs climb. The chassis will be a lightly-modded Kawasaki ZX-10R ("it's beefy enough") and Rothwell expects the wet weight to be under 340 pounds: "when you dismantle a literbike and see how heavy that four-stroke motor is, it's just sad, really." The next project? The 112-hp TSS500 engine installed in a Yamaha WR450 supermoto chassis. "There's nothing 'super' about a four-stroke supermoto," sniffed Rothwell.

Not crazy enough? Rothwell and Wright can build you a 2200cc four-cylinder that could pump out 500 bhp and 300 ft.-lbs. of torque (add 10% if you want to run alcohol), although he admits that would be "far too much for a motorcycle, even by our standards." But the goal of TSS isn't to crank out demented one-off specials for wealthy lunatics. Rather, it's to bring attention to the efficient, powerful, and even environmentally friendly (Rothwell says these engines could be Euro3 and CARB compliant with the use of direct-injection technology) potential of two-stroke motors. The hope is that the Japanese factories will return to the smokey, wheelie-ing ways of their youth (minus the smoke) and build light, fast and durable motorcycles that can scare the crap out of us.

Craig

My VB Garage

"God loves Marines, because we kill everything we see." - R. Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Repost!
https://chicagolandsportbikes.com/for...ad.php?t=87926

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Semper Fidellis

Sportbike: NADA
Years Riding: Since 1984
How you found us: Google

Send a message via Yahoo to Devil Dog
Crapola! I even looked.... Oh well.

Craig

My VB Garage

"God loves Marines, because we kill everything we see." - R. Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode